What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels release Kieran Foran

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
I actually feel for the guy.

Diagnosis bipolar, weekly psychologist sessions, weekly skype psychiatrist sessions, daily medication etc.

Speaks openly about how bad things got for him, breakup of releationship from November, asking BA for help in December and doing a three week stint in a hospital clinic, child born and things still swirling around such that he attempts suicide by tablets in April, does another three week clinic stay in May.

He can only answer the questionsbuzz qasks him, so I don't care that he didn't mention our players - they've been his teammates for what seven months of a seven year plus career. Foran is obviously close to Brad Arthur, and as we've seen this season, BA is "the club" - why would Foran credit anyone else in our joint for the support?

Clearly isn't thinking about his next contract yet, sounds like he's come a long way reigning in his drinking, gambling, approach to depression, and management of his condition. So much came from the breakup of his long-term relationship, including 3 hour round trips to attend training, lack of sleep and it's impact on not being able to maintain things at a new club in the face of what was unfolding for him.

I wish the guy all the best, must be good to be able to address the rumours, and sounds like time away from league is the best outcome for all concerned.

The thing that baffles me is he supposedly told BA about his issues in December spent Christmas in a mental health facility but gets appointed captain 2 months later.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You're having your usual strawman discussion.

Your original treatise was that Watmough made a better contribution to the team than Scott - not the reasons why Wests outscored us. Again, you've failed to construct an evidence base in support of your original choice of pre-determined agenda - chalk up another failed experiement in logic!
Actually I was just refuting your assertion that we lost tonight (and last week) because Beau Scott was out. Of course, this also invalidates your assertion that it somehow proves Scott is a better contributor than was Watmough last year.

strider

Post Whore
My thoughts ...

Feel for him ... seems like he's been brought up to be tough emotionally through life and try to just rely on his own inner strength to get by ... but got to a place where he couldn't

Buzz touched on plenty of difficult subjects - but plenty left unsaid too ... though I find it strange he never asked how all the parra shit affected him

I believe he just wants away from the spotlight of nrl right now ... fair enough ... will probably be at dogs in the future

I think he has done right by parra by leaving and giving us the chance to spend that money elsewhere ... i dont think parra is right for him - being the saviour isn't what he needs

Noise

Coach
Surely Scott would have been a safer option if a change was necessary. It was a massive error of judgement by BA.

I got hammered for saying this months ago. Still can't believe People were claiming the overdose was accidental and certainly not drug abuse.

Last edited:

Snoochies

First Grade
I had bipolar in a previous life, it's one of those illnesses that can be hidden from the public and even those closest to you as you can be up on a high so to speak and everything looks rosey but when you get behind closed doors there is a massive crash waiting to happen. I've seen those dark days myself but obviously never had all the public attention Keiran had and the expectations that go with it. I wish him the best, there is light at the end of it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I remember we hit good form prior to him getting injured and then rapidly going downhill after he left. We won four from his final six full games (with Watmough making 100 metres in five of those games). Then in the final seven games after he was injured we only won two games.
We also lost our halfback Sandow around then, and were stuck with guys like your two favs in Sef and Kelly playing in the halves........

Happy MEel

First Grade
We also lost our halfback Sandow around then, and were stuck with guys like your two favs in Sef and Kelly playing in the halves........

Don't forget Taka spent a lot of time on the sidelines towards the back end of last year, as well as a back up winger on the right.

Also Edwards was out for the season

Happy MEel

First Grade
I'm sure Scott would have improved things on the defensive side, but our attack has lost nothing without him.

Ummm...do you have any stats to back that up seeing as though you like objective measures? The only thing I can find is our points for dropping from over 19 points a game with Scott to 11 points without him. As you say, this coincides with some other key absences but if you're going to make ridiculous sweeping statements, expect to get called out on it.

Happy MEel

First Grade
We lost a lot more games without Watmough.

Now who's clutching at straws? We lost more games without Watmough because he missed more games (6 games compared to Scotts 2 so far).

We could also say we won more games without Watmough in the team (2 from 7) for a winning percentage of 29% than without Scott. Based on your ridiculous logic we could argue that this year we are incapable of winning without Scott as we have a 100% loss rate when he doesn't play.

However, this reasoning is ridiculous on both fronts and really does indicate you have well and truly lost this argument.

Gronk

Staff member
Notable NRL players with Bi Polar ? Andrew Johns, Tim Smith, Peter Jackson & Kieran Foran.

Noise

Coach
Article of interview: http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ieran-foran-speaks-following-parramatta-exit/

Troubled former Parramatta and Manly star Kieran Foran has admitted he tried to take his own life as personal issues involving his ex-partner got the better of him.

The Kiwi international was granted a release from the beleaguered Eels last week, less than a year after joining the club from Manly on a five-year deal worth $5 million.

In a candid interview with News Corp Australia, Foran revealed that he has walked away from the NRL to focus on getting his life back on track.

He told Eels coach Brad Arthur in December that he was struggling to cope before his life spiralled out of control in April.

"The intent was there," Foran said.

"I wanted out. About 1.30am I remember driving in my car, thinking in my head what way I was going to kill myself.

"I ended up driving back to my apartment, where I was staying in the city. I had a batch of left-over pills that were pain-killing medication. I tried to basically overdose.

"I remember the week vividly. I had been struggling, I had a lot going on. Trying to work through my relationship breakdown, with two young kids, with my ex-partner, while juggling football.

"I just wasn't coping. I could see I was starting to lose hope on life, really. I just couldn't see that light at the end of the tunnel.

"I just remember one late Thursday night it all got too much for me.

"I can't remember the exact amount (of pills I took). It was a handful. I remember getting told the next day by the nurses that it wasn't enough to kill me but definitely enough to make me crook.

"At the time I was hoping that it was gonna do the job. I'm grateful I'm here today, but I remember waking up the next morning wishing that it had worked.

kieran-foran-kiwis-628.jpg

Foran says there is no time frame for a return rugby league.

"My priority at the moment is getting myself right," he said.

"I know there will come a time where I need to earn a living.

"When I get that love and desire back for rugby league, then I will know I will want to play it again.

"At the moment I have no motivation to play it. I wanna get my shoulder right. I wanna get healthy again in the mind and the body."

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ieran-foran-speaks-following-parramatta-exit/

Fairly obvious it wasn't 'accidental'