What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Accept Criticism & Begin Work On 2017

Morotti

Juniors
This is the problem. They have done their review but because the club is owned by the leagues club in the majority they dont release anything to the public. So we dont actually know what they believe the problem to be.

And like some have suggested, the committee will report to the board. So again they are not going to say doust needs to go. Or the board needs a shake up.

You need to run the club like a proper business. Something these guys are incapable of doing.

If we were in business to make a profit the board and senior management would have been sacked long ago.

They are accountable to no one in the end. Hopefully that changes with bruce gordon taking charge. But i doubt it.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Cant afford to pay out McGregor, but can afford to put together 4 highly qualified persons to form a committee. These guys must be severe Dragons fans to be donating their expertise for free!

No money = absolute BS

Further: the "review" was just completed and all of a sudden these 4 people were suddenly available and willing to form a committee to assist the Dragons.
Bullocks!
It would have taken months to organise and select these 4 people. So in reality the "review" was already in progress and McGregors coaching identified as a major weakness, but wanted to keep the status quo to prevent identifying them as usekess decision makers.
You can see from the model already published by the Warriors that the Dragons are going down the same path. Inexperienced and poor coach but supply him with a tonne of support staff so he looks like he's not failing.
Great, can't wait for more scintillating news from our board.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Am I the only one excited about the massive Dirk Melton coup??? The other teams will be fuming that we snaffled Meltsy. He's going look at stuff and say wise stuff and it's going to make Mary a way better coach. Yessss! My hope is restored.

Red V for life

Juniors
I wonder if the club is prepared for the barrage of criticism they'll cop if 2017 gets off to a "slow start"? Maybe that's what they've started work on...the spin 2017 style.

Gutted by the news. The only thing to top it would be JD to either leave or be shown the door, Leilua to join Sharks and Sharks to win the GF!

#shittiestseasonever

Banjo2014

Juniors
I was born in 1963 June at Kogarah Hospital

My father kidnapped me and took me to Jubilee avenue - he proudly said that I saw my first Saints game at 3 days old. (Against the nurses wishes back then)

I now have a family of 8 that religiosly go to the football each home game, Wollongong and Jubillee.

8 people, roughly $350 for the day at Jubilee - probably $400 at Wollongong as we live in Brighton-le-Sands

Today is a very sad day - I just cannot go through it again ....

We live six months of the year in USA and follow the NFL where results are paramount - you are fired when not achieving - coaches after three weeks here are already being axed.

Today's announcement is good and bad.

I think Mr McGregor should resign ( maybe Mr Doust as well) and have the integrity to say, "that I failed"

The good thing is - I save average $375 a game x 12 = $4,500 and that does not include jersey's, beanies, bags and everything else St George Illawarra.

I will still follow, but from the lounge room. Put my feet up with the family, order a pizza in.

We are a very quiet family, we are not members of the Red V - we just enjoyed the get together for the night games or a Sunday afternoon.

Sorry but that is the way I feel

Mr McGregor .. it was time to go and you could of taken the high road. Wish you success and I hope that I am horribly wrong ....

Saint or sinner

Juniors
They think that we the fans are all fools..worst attack last two years...can't blame players because you (the club) signed them...we never bleed our juniors so they all go else where..then we try to resign them for more money...we let b moz go ..mez go ..jack bird go..Hastings go..and sign all nrl rejects from bargain bin..and they call this planning for future.. There will be no future without members ,fans...on top of it all the club is broke and can't attract any quality to our team..wonder why luciano is delaying signing with us..the place is a asylum with doust the mad scientist running it..this is truly a sad sad day for stgeorge/Illawarra

twinkletoes

Juniors
“Best practice and programs that deliver sustained long-term success for the Club in all areas and across our entire rugby league pathway is the focus.”.....these are the exact same words that Doust trotted out at the end of 2013 when the performance review was carried out at the end of a disastrous Price season. Where have we gone in 3 years... ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE. As if the "performace committee" will do anything to enhance the performance of this team on the field. I thought we already had this expertise in place with all the programmes we have supposedly implemented. ABSOLUT BULLSHIT

Carlton

Juniors
I don't know what to say, this is absolute rubbish.

A committee is appointed Craig Duncan and Dirk Melton are both lecturers at Australian Catholic University and do some extra work as consultants. Craig Duncan worked with the NSW State of Origin (what a success that was). Dirk Melton worked for Dragons previously in marketing (spin, spin, spin). Then we have Clare Prideaux who is vice president of that massive sport Hockey Australia who brought backs so many medals from Rio.

I thought our biggest problem was not athletic performance it was the lack of an effective game plan, recruitment of players for a rugby league team and lack of identification of skills for rugby league players. What do any of these committee members contribute to this. The answer is nothing.

And what does report to some board members "as and when necessary" mean. Surely it has to be bit more structured than that, surely. Why aren't they reporting to the whole board and to the fan base on a regular basis? We know why not, this was a stupid question.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
So the answer to our attacking woes and poor performance is:
1. Form a committee.
2. Conduct interviews.
3. Produce a report for management.
4. File report and make no significant changes.

Yep. That will work.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
"The St George Illawarra Dragons want Red V Members, Partners and supporters to know they are listening, and acknowledge and accept the criticisms surrounding the NRL Team Performance in 2016."

Yet they continue with another year under McGregor, which has been the BIGGEST criticism of all.

Goodbye everyone, that's it for me. It's been real guys!

Mickthedragon

Juniors
This decision is nothing but a slap in the face to all of our supporters.
Don't know anyone that thought he should stay on in 2017.
Now they will feel the hurt even more with membership numbers dropping and so fourth.
I am gutted by this and very pi**ed off.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The saddest thing about it is that there is actually a really quality coach out there in Ivan Cleary hungry for a job.
This club is so smoke and mirrors and jobs for the boys it makes me sick to my stomach.

Sticking with McGregor, trying to throw shade over the appalling first grade performances by praising NSW Cup and our juniors, appointing this "Rugby League Performance Committee" which consists of 3 out of 4 members that have nothing to do with Rugby League, and the 4th member being an ex Dragons player who probably needed a job.
I'm just done, it's like watching a corrupt Government drive an entire country into the ground.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I didn't have the stomach to read beyond the paragraph where the club stated Mary will be coach in 2017, but am I correct in my understanding that this new "committee" acts in an advisory capacity only?

So they can make recommendations to the board and its up to the board whether or not to accept their recommendations? A purely tokenistic committee and a complete waste of money from a club which has none to spare.