What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
At the risk of side-tracking the thread, Hitler - while ruthless and evil - was also a man wire immense charisma and a deep-seated desire to see Germany prosper.

I don't think anyone will ever declare he was a hero to Germany and Germans, but he was a complex person who, unfortunately, happened to be able to fall into the power necessary to attempt to make his vision a reality.
Most successful dictators probably have something going for them in terms of their personality. How else would they get normal people to do shit that they wouldn't otherwise do?

TheRam

Coach
Well done harry hindsight.

Both were good signings at the time.

Only one was, the other was a joke from the very begining as many here said from the outset. Except Pou, who thinks that everything the club or coach do is gold because they're in a postion know better then us poor mugs here on the sidelines.

But what I suspect is the Pou has never heard the old saying "the forest for the trees". Or that many people will take gamble here or there that fails no matter what their position.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't get people being critical of anyone who has faith in what our coach does. Yes, he will make mistakes along the way but there isn't one instance where I would take the views of a bunch of armchair buffoons more seriously than that of Brad Arthur.

No-one is suggesting that it hasn't worked out or that in hindsight that he didn't make an error (particularly signing Watmough to a 4 year deal). Not even Pou has said that. This is what people have interpreted.

Also remember that in making these comments about player signings you are all only really commenting on the 2% of shit you actually see (i.e the 80 min every week) and the other stuff that you pretend you are in the know about. Has anyone actually spoken to BA and asked him his thoughts about what Watmough brought to the club more broadly?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Only one was, the other was a joke from the very begining as many here said from the outset. Except Pou, who thinks that everything the club or coach do is gold because they're in a postion know better then us poor mugs here on the sidelines.

But what I suspect is the Pou has never heard the old saying "the forest for the trees". Or that many people will take gamble here or there that fails no matter what their position.
I've got no problem with the club taking big risks when it's required. At the time, Watmough seemed like one such risk, but I trusted the coach and he turned out to be right - while Watmough didn't play as many games as we would've liked he only cost us one year on the salary cap, which Manly subsidised anyway. And we needed leaders like him. That was evident in our capitulation in late 2014.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
I thought he signed with us ?

Roosters CEO John Lee has been mentoring sacked former Rabbitoh Kirisome Auva’a as he attempts to get his life back on track.

While the Roosters have handed several bad boys NRL lifelines for next season including Paul Carter and Zane Tetevano, don’t expect to see Auva’a running around for the tri colours next season.

476baccd4e26c23e0589073d6a57ec07

Former Rabbitoh Kirisome Auva'a is tackled.Source: News Corp Australia
The 24-year-old has been working hard while out of the game, hitting the gym and trimming down his 98 kilo frame in hopes of securing a contract at a club next season.

It looks like that hard work has paid off with Parramatta keeping an eye on the centre.

Any deal Auva’a was to sign would need NRL approval due to his sacking from Souths after breaching the NRL’s substance policy.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/pri...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

emjaycee

Coach
I don't get people being critical of anyone who has faith in what our coach does. Yes, he will make mistakes along the way but there isn't one instance where I would take the views of a bunch of armchair buffoons more seriously than that of Brad Arthur.

No-one is suggesting that it hasn't worked out or that in hindsight that he didn't make an error (particularly signing Watmough to a 4 year deal). Not even Pou has said that. This is what people have interpreted.

Also remember that in making these comments about player signings you are all only really commenting on the 2% of shit you actually see (i.e the 80 min every week) and the other stuff that you pretend you are in the know about. Has anyone actually spoken to BA and asked him his thoughts about what Watmough brought to the club more broadly?

I kept reading looking for the punchline.

hindy111

Post Whore
Watmough was always questioned on here and most split on his signing.
Foran was always a risk at the contract amount. And again most where split about that. It was a knee jerk reaction to hayne deflecting.

So club took a risk and where burnt. But basically got get out of jail cards in both.
Imagine we still had both on our books. I tell you one thing, guy like manu and KE wouldnt of been re signed.
Watmough chewing up 600k for another 2 yrs....

With his case how can you claim an injury then come back.Wouldnt the insurance company ask for their money back?
If i made a claim for a back injury once i collected money i doubt i could resume normal job without setting off alar, bells

At the risk of side-tracking the thread, Hitler - while ruthless and evil - was also a man wire immense charisma and a deep-seated desire to see Germany prosper.

I don't think anyone will ever declare he was a hero to Germany and Germans, but he was a complex person who, unfortunately, happened to be able to fall into the power necessary to attempt to make his vision a reality.

i have often wondered did hitler hate jews before he came to power or did he just pick on a popular target to gain approval

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Watmough was always questioned on here and most split on his signing.
Foran was always a risk at the contract amount. And again most where split about that. It was a knee jerk reaction to hayne deflecting.

So club took a risk and where burnt. But basically got get out of jail cards in both.
Imagine we still had both on our books. I tell you one thing, guy like manu and KE wouldnt of been re signed.
Watmough chewing up 600k for another 2 yrs....

With his case how can you claim an injury then come back.Wouldnt the insurance company ask for their money back?
If i made a claim for a back injury once i collected money i doubt i could resume normal job without setting off alar, bells

It would have been very alaring.

Gronk

Staff member
i have often wondered did hitler hate jews before he came to power or did he just pick on a popular target to gain approval

The Germans resented the Jews because they ran successful businesses. Hitler was the Xenophobe Lunatic that the public encouraged to run them out of town. Some things have not changed, just places and dates.

APRIL 1, 1933
NATIONWIDE BOYCOTT OF JEWISH-OWNED BUSINESSES

At 10:00 a.m., members of the Storm Troopers (SA) and SS (the elite guard of the Nazi state) stand in front of Jewish-owned businesses throughout Germany to inform the public that the proprietors of these establishments are Jewish. The word "Jude," German for "Jew," is often smeared on store display windows, with a Star of David painted in yellow and black across the doors. Anti-Jewish signs accompany these slogans. In some towns, the SA march through the streets singing anti-Jewish slogans and party songs. In other towns, violence accompanies the boycott; in Kiel, a Jewish lawyer is killed. The boycott ends at midnight. Boycotts organized at the local level continue throughout much of the 1930s.

SEPTEMBER 15, 1935
NUREMBERG LAWS ARE INSTITUTED

At their annual party rally, the Nazis announce new laws that make Jews second-class citizens and revoke most of their political rights. Further, Jews are prohibited from marrying or having sexual relations with persons of "German or related blood." "Racial infamy," as this becomes known, is made a criminal offense. The Nuremberg Laws define a "Jew" as someone with three or four Jewish grandparents or who is a practicing Jew. Consequently, the Nazis classify as Jews thousands of people who have converted from Judaism to another religion, among them even Roman Catholic priests and nuns and Protestant ministers whose grandparents were Jewish.

NOVEMBER 9, 1938
"KRISTALLNACHT": A NATIONWIDE POGROM

In reponse to the murder of German diplomat Ernst vom Rath by a young Jew in Paris, German propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels delivers a fiery speech to the Nazi party faithful in Munich; these party members are gathered to commemorate the anniversary of the abortive 1923 Beer Hall Putsch (Adolf Hitler's first attempt to seize power). The speech is a signal for an organized assault upon Jewish homes, businesses, and places of worship by members of the SA, SS, and other Nazi party organizations such as the Hitler Youth. Although Nazi officials later portray the pogrom as a spontaneous act of public outrage, the population's participation in the pogrom is limited. The violence against Jews lasts into the morning of November 10 and becomes known as "Kristallnacht": the "Night of Broken Glass." At least 91 Jews are killed and up to 30,000 more are arrested and confined in concentration camps. "Aryanization," the transfer of Jewish-owned businesses to "Aryans," accelerates following the pogrom.

https://www.ushmm.org/outreach/en/article.php?ModuleId=10007687

Eelementary

Post Whore

In addition to what Gronk posted, I read in a book a long tine ago that Hitler developed issues with the Jews because of time served during World War I; he believed them to be callous, ruthless and cowardly, and feared that they would run his country into the ground to suit their agendas.

Gronk

Staff member
I recall seeing an episode of Who Do You Think You Are with Jerry Springer. If you can watch it on line, it's very informative about the plight of the Jews. Springer's relos had a shoe (?) shop and they had photos of the shop window being branded as a Jew business.

I have not gotten around to watch Schindlers List yet, but the movie The Book Thief with Geoffrey Rush paints a dire picture of pre-war Germany.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If only Beau Scott could of offered up what Watmough did.
Well he's a similar type of player. Past his best, experienced, tough, and know-it-alls thought he couldn't play any more because his last season at his previous club was disappointing. But Arthur knew we needed more old hard heads in the squad. And he was right.

Latest posts