What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

JokerEel

Coach
I have no faith in any of the current coaching staff to develop anyone.

It was evident that Talagi couldn’t handle the high ball from the Trials. He has regressed further.

I think he is getting better watched him in CUP at fullback and he was horrible at catching a bomb..
His attack has always been good though

oldmancraigy

Coach
It's not about playing poorly - that merely adds to the questionability of his actions, steaming from him.

It's about him not being a leader, and not doing anything to prove he is, in fact, a leader, and still spitting the dummy.

I do agree with the idea that it's up to the individual players as to how they react to it.

However, I've been on the receiving end of this - played prop when I played, and always made 20+ tackles a game, and 15+ runs per game, because I wanted to give my team the best chance to succeed.

Our petulant, little halfback would give us a spray if we missed a tackle, or dropped one of the hospital passes he threw.

Meanwhile, the forward pack were thinking, "What are YOU doing to get us the win? We're working out arses off to give you time, and space, and you haven't laid on a single point - but you'll have a go at us if we make an error?"

So maybe I take it personally.

You played with Stu Galbraith?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you are bidding at a dutch auction for him against the Roosters Dragons etc, do you just keep going up until you get his signature? Just keep bending over ?

Here lies the problem with millennials, they want it all, they want it now and they have pricks like Isaac Moses enabling them.
I’m not suggesting anything of the sort, but how does it get to this?? Can’t even our best young talent locked up before they even play a game of first grade. Who gives an 18 year old kid a player option?? Like really???

Is it even about the money?? Sounds like it was more about opportunity and the quality of the coaching he would be receiving. And after how poorly our juniors have been brought through our systems the last decade can you really blame them??

84 Baby

Referee
It's not about playing poorly - that merely adds to the questionability of his actions, steaming from him.

It's about him not being a leader, and not doing anything to prove he is, in fact, a leader, and still spitting the dummy.

I do agree with the idea that it's up to the individual players as to how they react to it.

However, I've been on the receiving end of this - played prop when I played, and always made 20+ tackles a game, and 15+ runs per game, because I wanted to give my team the best chance to succeed.

Our petulant, little halfback would give us a spray if we missed a tackle, or dropped one of the hospital passes he threw.

Meanwhile, the forward pack were thinking, "What are YOU doing to get us the win? We're working out arses off to give you time, and space, and you haven't laid on a single point - but you'll have a go at us if we make an error?"

So maybe I take it personally.
Did you ever give him a spray?
I didn’t like that time Gutho called Opacic a genius or whatever but I’ve come around to teams having their own dynamic.
I agree that probably he’s not being leaderly but again if he’s spouting off when he shouldn’t be, given all the supposed leaders in the team, the fact none of them are pulling him into line is an indictment on them, not Talagi. Either that or they are consenting/agreeing with him.
All players need access to give teammates a spray where warranted, leaders are there to make sure it’s constructive.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I get that people think that we should have tied him up blah blah. I am not sure what more you can do when you sign a kid at 16 for 3 years, when you have Moses in his ear.

Isaiya Katoa was poached by $$. I am sure that Penrith thought that they had a perfect vision to sell him.
Penrith did have the best halfback in the game ahead of him, hardly an apples to apples comparison don’t you think???

We don’t even know what is the kids best position is how can you sell anyone anything when the people running the show wouldn’t even know if a dog was up them???

Gronk

Staff member
Penrith did have the best halfback in the game ahead of him, hardly an apples to apples comparison don’t you think???

We don’t even know what is the kids best position is how can you sell anyone anything when the people running the show wouldn’t even know if a dog was up them???

Katoa has played just as many times as a 6 than as a 7. Penrith must have known that Luai was going to be let go to chase the cash.
I’m not suggesting anything of the sort, but how does it get to this?? Can’t even our best young talent locked up before they even play a game of first grade. Who gives an 18 year old kid a player option?? Like really???

Is it even about the money?? Sounds like it was more about opportunity and the quality of the coaching he would be receiving. And after how poorly our juniors have been brought through our systems the last decade can you really blame them??
I don't get the beef about a player option. What is the big problem ? Options don't stop him signing a new contract last year or last month. The ransom thing bares no logic. If there was no option, we'd still be in the same position with his manager starting a bidding war.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If he was under lock and key for 12 more months without the PO
Without the PO he’d still be off contract. It’s not a thing we just randomly offered instead of a second year. It’s offered as a bonus in exchange for taking less on the single year (2024). Without the PO we’d have had to pay extra for this year.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
If you are bidding at a dutch auction for him against the Roosters Dragons etc, do you just keep going up until you get his signature? Just keep bending over ?

Here lies the problem with millennials, they want it all, they want it now and they have pricks like Isaac Moses enabling them.

Talagi would be gen Z, not a millennial. F'ing boomer

Incorrect

Coach
Without the PO he’d still be off contract. It’s not a thing we just randomly offered instead of a second year. It’s offered as a bonus in exchange for taking less on the single year (2024). Without the PO we’d have had to pay extra for this year.
If there was no player option for 2025 and just a normal deal running until end of 2025, he wouldn't be able to start fielding offers until 1 November this year right?? But the player option allowed him to reject what we had on the table for 2025 and start negotiating earlier (i.e any time from 3-4 weeks ago).... Do I have that right??

Gronk

Staff member
That says to me it’s been more than just money, if it was about the money he’d be a dragon. I just think his team were more worried about what it from a development and coaching perspective. After how poor it’s been at the club I can’t really blame them.

It's just as plausible that he is simply backing himself to play as much NRL as he can to crank up his price.

84 Baby

Referee
It's just as plausible that he is simply backing himself to play as much NRL as he can to crank up his price.
I think it’s actually the most likely. His perceived value would’ve already been set but without seeing him in NRL there would’ve been a risk factor against that. Each game he plays reduces that risk (unless he goes to complete shot or starts yelling racial slurs or something) thus increasing the “safe” price for him.
Having not signed him earlier is an indication we’ve “lowballed” because either we wanted a bargain (probably bad policy) or we put a higher risk on him than he/Moses did.
The correct risk will ultimately be decided in next couple of years.
I don’t know who’s better at risk assessment at moment. The club had a few good years but have failed recently, while Moses’ ability is flavoured by what other clubs risk appetites are.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I didn’t like that time Gutho called Opacic a genius or whatever but I’ve come around to teams having their own dynamic.
I agree that probably he’s not being leaderly but again if he’s spouting off when he shouldn’t be, given all the supposed leaders in the team, the fact none of them are pulling him into line is an indictment on them, not Talagi. Either that or they are consenting/agreeing with him.
All players need access to give teammates a spray where warranted, leaders are there to make sure it’s constructive.

I didn't give him a spray back - I was knackered!

But when opposition forwards targeted him, suffice it to say that we didn't exactly rush to his defence...

Eelementary

Post Whore

Btw I do agree that the team lacks leadership as a whole.