What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"I'm worth more than that" - Benji

yobbo84

Coach
Yeah, if only there were these pocket-sized devices you could carry around all over the world that people could contact you on.

davi

Juniors
Gee whiz, a broncos 100k is probably more than 300k from the dragons

I agree, I think everyone is reading too much into the money. And a 300k offer on team that won't be a contender anytime soon didn't appeal to Marshall at this stage of his career. Marshall seems genuine that he wants to continue his career and he wants to play in the NRL for a winner. English Superleague and the Dragons didn't offer him that.

AJB1102

First Grade
I agree, I think everyone is reading too much into the money. And a 300k offer on team that won't be a contender anytime soon didn't appeal to Marshall at this stage of his career. Marshall seems genuine that he wants to continue his career and he wants to play in the NRL for a winner. English Superleague and the Dragons didn't offer him that.

Pull the other one. He didn't say "I'm worth more than $300K for a shit side like Saints." He said he was worth more than that because of stuff like experience and profile, stating that $300K is more like what kids with nowhere near his NRL experience get offered. He seemed insulted at such an offer.

Fair enough that was 6mths ago and the lack of interest shown may have made him reevaluate his worth but to think at his age that 100,000 Broncos dollars are worth more than 300,000 Saints dollars is taking the piss.

DeeJ

Bench
What a stupid signing, even for a bargain. I really hope he is there as a backup for injuries or rep selection because no one in the current team should make way for him.

Even justifying signing him as a back up for Origin is not a realistic excuse as Milford and Hunt are down the chain of selection.

Doomednow

Bench
There'll be a paper bag in there. Beni reckons he's worth more. Broncos have no shortage of money but they don't want him taking up any cap space.

Therefore a small official contract as a back up player and a wiggly handshake.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah, if only there were these pocket-sized devices you could carry around all over the world that people could contact you on.
And people say I lack a sense of humour...

AJB1102

First Grade
I recall something about Benji informing the NRL of his personal 3rd party sponsors he'd bring with him wherever he signed so you can absolutely guarantee he's earning more than the $100K contract.

I don't think anything dodgy is going on like brown paper bags but it would be interesting to see what the NRL would have deemed his 'notional value' to be 6mths ago when he was tabled a $300K deal and now when he's offered $100K. Also I read his manager saying (managers, I know - take with a grain of salt) they were talking with 3 Sydney Clubs before this Broncs deal surfaced. Surely they weren't talking less than $100K - $85K is minimum wage isn't it?

Lambretta

First Grade
I don't understand this signing - I can't imagine Benji signing for $100,000 a season
Even if he did, then it is still a strange one for the Boncos

I can only imagine it's a depth signing in case they have injuries to deal with during the year

Benji really should have gone to Super League - the timing was perfect.