What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2017 Crowd Watch

footy75

Bench
The crowds are not going to grow until they make the game more exciting for youngsters.

Kids use to find the fighting exciting and big shoulder charges and otherwise unpredictable play, players making things happen. Those things are gone and we are left with completions, wrestles, fast play the balls, bomb sets, line speed, decoys. The game needs to have a good hard look at itself. I haven't heard a player interviewed all year that didn't say something about "completions" and "getting to our kicks". Have people noticed that you can start on your 15m line, do nothing but hit ups and get a bomb to the corner now? Most sets are like this.

It is garbage entertainment.

not sure if serious...u honestly think letting players fight is going to attract kids to games...

T-Boon

Coach
not sure if serious...u honestly think letting players fight is going to attract kids to games...

No. I am suggesting there needs to be rule changes so that there is a lot more play making and attack right across the park. More passing, more tries, more line breaks...less hit ups.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It was Melbourne City playing at Sunday 7pm. Hardly a shock!
The bigger alarm bells in Melbourne are when Hawthorn only draw 28k to the MCG on a fine Sunday afternoon. Admittedly were 0-4 going into that one but even so...

LeagueXIII

First Grade
No. I am suggesting there needs to be rule changes so that there is a lot more play making and attack right across the park. More passing, more tries, more line breaks...less hit ups.

That's what scrums once did, got the forwards out the way. Plus the 10 metre rule has given cheap easy metres. Back in the 80's one out hit ups was described as dumb boring football now it's the staple of the game.
I cringe seeing a big prop playing at five eighth off the scrum, we've evolved from the velvet skill of Brett Kenny to the bash of Fifita at 5/8. even the English once had skilfull forwards and halves, Schofield, Gregory, Ward and Crooks who all were stars in Australia and England.

T-Boon

Coach
That's what scrums once did, got the forwards out the way. Plus the 10 metre rule has given cheap easy metres. Back in the 80's one out hit ups was described as dumb boring football now it's the staple of the game.

The move to 10 metres was great for about 10 years until coaches worked out how to manipulate it. Now it looks more and more like a mistake.

It has led to these coaching concepts that are a vacuum on entertainment and what people (not the hard core fan but punters deciding between codes) want to see or what kids want to learn or aspire to when they rock up and sign on at under 8s.

"Completions", "get to kick", "line speed", "play the ball speed", "wrestle" ... sets of 6 designed to get to a bomb, "structure", "Decoys" ...Thats how you win NRL games now.
But they are dirty little coaching secrets you wouldn't teach to kids until they are probably under 14s because the kids would be like "what is this shit - I am out of here?".

The whole idea of a neutral zone of 10 metres is crazy as it just gifts free territory.

They would have been better sticking with 5 metres and going to 11 men for more space to reward throwing passes. They still should go that way.

Emu01

Juniors
I wonder if this rain forecast for tomorrow arvo in Sydney will affect a possible sell out.

I have already had one from our group pull out because of the possible rain.

It's less than 5mil predicted. It could knock 5-10 k off a sell out.

insert.pause

First Grade
I wonder if this rain forecast for tomorrow arvo in Sydney will affect a possible sell out.

it's ironic that the game is a tribute to the ANZAC's and someone doesn't want to go because of the possibility of a little rain...

Warriors Fever

Juniors

your so called friend is a softy, it's hardly any rain predicted, there was a hailstorm in 2015 and they still managed 35k, so it would have to be quite a lot of rain to impact the attendance significantly.

T-Boon can you tell us all one more time why rugby league is going down the gurgler and your proposed changes.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The move to 10 metres was great for about 10 years until coaches worked out how to manipulate it. Now it looks more and more like a mistake.

It has led to these coaching concepts that are a vacuum on entertainment and what people (not the hard core fan but punters deciding between codes) want to see or what kids want to learn or aspire to when they rock up and sign on at under 8s.

"Completions", "get to kick", "line speed", "play the ball speed", "wrestle" ... sets of 6 designed to get to a bomb, "structure", "Decoys" ...Thats how you win NRL games now.
But they are dirty little coaching secrets you wouldn't teach to kids until they are probably under 14s because the kids would be like "what is this shit - I am out of here?".

The whole idea of a neutral zone of 10 metres is crazy as it just gifts free territory.

They would have been better sticking with 5 metres and going to 11 men for more space to reward throwing passes. They still should go that way.

And quarters. Dont forget quarters.

Clifferd

Coach

YOur friend is an absolute pussy my friend

We shower in water

Will be a sell out regardless of the light rain imo

Latest posts