What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your most unpopular opinion about the NRL?

Lambretta

First Grade
I also think that it should be no holds barred within the in-goal.

So that anyone scoring a try thinks about it next time.......

We could change tries, so that in order to score one, you have to run face first into one of the uprights

Then to convert, the try scorer lies on this back with the ball placed in their mouth and the kicker has to get it over the posts from there. Kicking tees that flinch!

Canard

Immortal
Would have to be released by the nrl
They register the contracts, and the TPA's

No reason to think it couldn't be trusted

I get what you are saying, but I don't think that they get given all the facts by the clubs (see Storm, Eels and Dogs for example)

T-Boon

Coach
The code would be no worse off, and probably better off, if coaches had to come from within the playing ranks.

The coaches offer no value at all to the code. Over coaching has actually sent the on field game backwards and the coaches don't even offer anything in the way they talk to the media.

Think of how much more money the stars would make by being the captain coach.

My opinion is factually correct, due to the fact that we've had so many different clubs win the competition lately, but it's still unpopular, due to people supporting shitty, sub par clubs being the vocal minority.

The NRL salary cap is working perfectly, and does not need to change at all.

2010Dragons

Bench
1. Get rid of the State of Origin exhibition game or move it to a standalone month.

2. Club should be compensated for any player injured in Rep games by points.

3. Every team plays each other twice.

4. No bye rounds.

5. Back to one referee.

6. Bring back the sin bin 5,10, 15 minutes

7. Bring back the send off.

8. Bring back the biff.

9. Referees must attend post match interview and explain their mistakes.

nick87

Coach
I get what you are saying, but I don't think that they get given all the facts by the clubs (see Storm, Eels and Dogs for example)

That is undoubtably the case in situations where systematic cheating is going on, however i think the transparency of publishing all TPAs and contracts helps here.

Bit of a simple example, GI walks into a boat shop and picks up a boat no questions asked. How many people have to know about this?
Probably 2-3 people inside the club, Greg and his wife, the manager, his accountant, the boat shop owner and probably some offsider of his

That's a lot of people who have to stfu in order to keep this a secret from plebs like Nick the raiders fan accountant who works in the boat shop and has heard some shady business took place

Now when nick the accountant asks some questions about why GI walked on to the shop floor and took a boat home no questions asked and is told it's all above board and part of a TPA, right now he takes that at face value

Where as if this is readily available for public consumption, he might check and find out the nrl has no such deal between GI and the boat emporium is registered and an email might find its way to the nrl to investigate.

When the logical lie you tell the plebs to cover this stuff up is so easily debunked, the chances of being caught rise exponentially, and when risk out weighs reward, that's when this stuff stops

With publishing this, Players then know their true market value, agents are able to leverage deals more easily as what happens in the American sports (player x gets y, and I'm better than him so you'd better be paying me more than him), fans probably arent as likely to get angry and hurl abuse at the plodder earning 90k as they are the guy playing just as poorly earning 200k and members get a better idea of whether their CEO is getting beaten around the negotiation table.

there is literally no downside, except the relatively small invasion of the players privacy, which doesnt seem to worry sports stars like LeBron James and Lionel Messi, or other public figures and high profile CEOs

I honestly believe if they made salaries and TPA public knowledge, you'd erase systematic cheating virtually over night.

Especially in the realms of helping to police whether TPA's are true third party deals or means of circumventing the cap and only available contingent on player x playing for the broncos (as an example)

Red Bear

Referee
Independant Commission should've been independant of the clubs as well. The game is never going to hit its potential whilst the clubs have such a huge say in the running of it.

docbrown

Coach
I don't know how unpopular it is now, there seems to have been a huge shift towards my position lately, but I full endorse the full publishing of all players salary and registered 3rd party agreements

All payments to players should come directly from NRL HQ on behalf of the clubs & third parties. Therefore any other payment to a player would clearly be identified as dodgy. No more wriggle room in salary cap dramas.

Last Week

Bench
All payments to players should come directly from NRL HQ on behalf of the clubs & third parties. Therefore any other payment to a player would clearly be identified as dodgy. No more wriggle room in salary cap dramas.

Cash in hand, direct deposits to players/managers accounts. It's still easy to get around.

POPEYE

Coach

Be interesting to see if the wives/mothers could be trusted to hold their nerve picking up the brown paper bags

mongoose

Coach
I'd love to see another SEQLD side, my only concern is that there wouldn't be enough support after the initial honeymoon period. That's exactly what happened to the Gold Coast Titans who were everyone's second side until a string of incidents saw them plummet and become a punch-line. They've only just started recovering from that, so I'd like to see them get back on their feet before another SEQLD side is brought in.

I also think the Brisbane Bombers would be a huge mistake. Whoever the other team is, should not represent Brisbane and should choose another part of the South East to represent. At least that way you'd be able to have that core supporter base who identify themselves through that group, instead of just a soulless entity.

While a large part of the blame can be contributed to the utter lack of Sunday games, the fact Brisbane haven't been able to break the 40K average barrier since '93 is really telling.

Broncos support in Brisbane is overstated. There are lots of League fans in Brisbane who don't support the Broncos and either support another NRL team or are only interested in the intrust super cup. Broncos fans seem to be oblivious to this fact though.

thorson1987

Coach
My unpopular opinion is that people signing up to LU should have to complete a mental health and literacy exam over a two week period.

And no, two weeks community service by Souths fans does not qualify.

But that would rule out a decent chunk of the posters in the sharks section;).

And the parra section would be empty.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos support in Brisbane is overstated. There are lots of League fans in Brisbane who don't support the Broncos and either support another NRL team or are only interested in the intrust super cup. Broncos fans seem to be oblivious to this fact though.

Not really, it's just those fans already have a team to support, they're not going to flock to another Brisbane side. Now if you brought in another team that represented a different part of SEQLD, there would be a far greater chance.

Of course whatever concerns I'd have about another SEQLD side would be completely absolved if there was a good bid put onto the table. The 'Bombers' and the 'Ipswich' bids don't fill me with a lot of confidence.

Latest posts