What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your most unpopular opinion about the NRL?

DiegoNT

First Grade
Not really, it's just those fans already have a team to support, they're not going to flock to another Brisbane side. Now if you brought in another team that represented a different part of SEQLD, there would be a far greater chance.

Of course whatever concerns I'd have about another SEQLD side would be completely absolved if there was a good bid put onto the table. The 'Bombers' and the 'Ipswich' bids don't fill me with a lot of confidence.
I've mentioned it in other parts of this forum, but the introduction of Freo Dockers in the afl is an example of how a second Brisbane team can and will work despite those concerns

myrrh ken

First Grade
Dare I mention the WS Wanderers too.

Surely there are many in outer Brisbane/ regional SE Queensland who would love an alternate team to the cityslickers.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Here are the facts rugby league is number 1 in Brisbane

In front of 2 million they get barely 35k average attendance and barely 25k members

Pro rata to audience in rugby league saturated markets that is the worst in the league by far

myrrh ken

First Grade
Here are the facts rugby league is number 1 in Brisbane

In front of 2 million they get barely 35k average attendance and barely 25k members

Pro rata to audience in rugby league saturated markets that is the worst in the league by far

That suggests there is a heap of potential and that the broncos brand is not engaging with the audience.

If we relied on those figures, Perth will never get off the ground again.

Big Pete

Referee
I've mentioned it in other parts of this forum, but the introduction of Freo Dockers in the afl is an example of how a second Brisbane team can and will work despite those concerns

I don't think it's that simple DiegoNT. You can't just point to an example in another sport where they introduced a team on the otherside of Australia to the competition over 20 years ago as a proof of concept.

Again, I'm not saying there shouldn't be another Brisbane team. There absolutely should, but when the right bid is put forward and the game itself actually shows interest in expanding the competition. For mine, there was always going to be a bit of a waiting period for another SEQLD side with the emergence of the Gold Coast Titans and the way that whole fiasco was handled has slowed the game down.

This is getting away from unpopular opinions

But I'd ASAP have Perth as 1 expansion spot and the 2nd a bid fight-off between SEQLD-3 and NZ-2
Would another NZ team make the Warriors even worse or would so competition actually help?

I guess the answer doesn't even matter because Perth (hopefully Perth Red is dead before this happens)and Brisbane 2 are what's needed

T-Boon

Coach
Again, I'm not saying there shouldn't be another Brisbane team. There absolutely should, but when the right bid is put forward and the game itself actually shows interest in expanding the competition. For mine, there was always going to be a bit of a waiting period for another SEQLD side with the emergence of the Gold Coast Titans and the way that whole fiasco was handled has slowed the game down.

It is better to have an imperfect second Brisbane team now and build on it than to wait for the perfect bid to come along - which is never going to come alone.

The one you think is "the right bid" is going to feel like a disastrous bid to some other league fan so that ones not perfect either and then boom there goes another 10 years holding our dicks.

Bring the team in, don't even give it a name just Brisbane Rugby League Football Club and let the fans give it a name over time.

Big Pete

Referee
Nobody is asking for a perfect bid, just one with a reasonable chance of success than some bastardized thrown together bid like that where chance of on-field success is remote.

What has to happen is that the NRL has to announce that there will be two new teams in 202x and that's when the bids make themselves known and outline how they're going to be a sustainable brand.

kbw

Bench
The salary cap should be cut as well as administrators salaries.
That money cut should go to funding Junior RL especially in the country.

The AFL model of financial dispersement is far superior.
ch9 should lose the RL FTA coverage

axl rose

Bench
Dare I mention the WS Wanderers too.

Surely there are many in outer Brisbane/ regional SE Queensland who would love an alternate team to the cityslickers.

Live in Brisbane, half the work office hates them, pretty common. NRL will never do anything about it though.

papabear

Juniors
The salary cap should be cut as well as administrators salaries.
That money cut should go to funding Junior RL especially in the country.

The AFL model of financial dispersement is far superior.
ch9 should lose the RL FTA coverage
This QFT!

beave

Coach
If there was another Brisbane team I would get season tickets. I wouldn't buy any merch or drop my current bunch of muppets (NQ can't get rid of me that easy) but I just love going to games. If I'm gonna throw my cash at a team in Brisbane while I'm living in this city sized country town, I would be more than happy to throw it at a rival club that will hopefully undermine the utter scourge of this state and bring them down a peg or 2.

The Springfield Isotopes would be my choice of location and name........