What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stand Alone Rep Round

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
state of origin is the catalyst for all of this..

it's an evil on clubs, but a necessary evil for the health of the game..

it's the pinnacle of our sport.. it's better quality football than even Aus vs NZ..

so let's give it clear air, make an event out of it and have it as a major event on a weekend..

no need to shoehorn other matches in, just for the sake of it.

that's a TV programming mentality, and it's killing the game.

i can see state of origin weekends being as great as a grand final weekend..

Charlie124

First Grade
Enough with this pussy "three weeks between games" bullshit. Lets separate the men from the boys and have a super origin weekend.

Origin 1 - Friday night
Origin 2 - Saturday night
Origin 3 - Sunday afternoon

Case closed.

adamkungl

Immortal
state of origin is the catalyst for all of this..

it's an evil on clubs, but a necessary evil for the health of the game..

it's the pinnacle of our sport.. it's better quality football than even Aus vs NZ..

so let's give it clear air, make an event out of it and have it as a major event on a weekend..

no need to shoehorn other matches in, just for the sake of it.

that's a TV programming mentality, and it's killing the game.

i can see state of origin weekends being as great as a grand final weekend..

I doubt the Kiwis and Islanders who make up half the players feel like test matches are "just for the sake of it".

Internationals have a lot more growth potential for the health of the sport than Origin - we should be aiming for the point where they're just as big.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Enough with this pussy "three weeks between games" bullshit. Lets separate the men from the boys and have a super origin weekend.

Origin 1 - Friday night
Origin 2 - Saturday night
Origin 3 - Sunday afternoon

Case closed.

Even better, just have them all on a Saturday - 1530, 1800 and 2030.

_snafu_

Immortal
I would have the following:
Womens RL State of Origin;
NSW country v QLD Country
Mens touch footy State of origin
womens TF state of origin
Mixed TF state of origin
Nines state of origin picked from reserve grade and retired players
SoO under 18s
SoO under 16s

Should include Oztag.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think there are a lot of issues facing the game that require changing (like the need to expand) but I think this could end up being one of the best things the NRL ever does.

This will shine huge spotlight on SOO for a full 3 week period drowning out all other sport in the country. Good luck to any other code planning to schedule matches against SOO during this period. The media in NSW and QLD will be wall to wall origin.

It'll basically be like 3 weeks of GF hype. I really think this could see SOO ratings go even higher and the value of SOO for the NRL would go through the roof.

It reduces the impact of a dead rubber. At the moment it means a few weeks where the NRL is still crippled by origin but the interest in origin also wanes. This way it only lasts for a week and there is an immediate reply to try and save some face for the losing team.

From the perspective of the regular NRL season there are huge benefits. No longer would there be a 9 week period where origin sucks away all the hype from the NRL. We could also scrap these awful bye rounds.

The origin period is a good time for teams to recouperate and then you basically relaunch the NRL season post origin leading into the finals.

I can see why the NRL is scared, they don't want to mess with origin as it's their big trump card. IMO this would be a huge step forward for the game.

Pedge1971

First Grade
I would have the following:
Womens RL State of Origin;
NSW country v QLD Country
Mens touch footy State of origin
womens TF state of origin
Mixed TF state of origin
Nines state of origin picked from reserve grade and retired players
SoO under 18s
SoO under 16s

You forgot 9s origin and Topball origin.

Marlins

Juniors
Well, as of next year I believe, Origin two will be on a Sunday night. Here's how I would like to see that go next year.

Friday night - New Zealand vs England
Saturday - Fiji, PNG, Tonga and Samoa.
Sunday night - Origin

Should all three Origins be on stand alone weekends, I struggle to see England being willing to travel down to NZ three times a year. So England vs NZ may work for one match, but that's all.

A round robin series between Fiji, PNG, Tonga and Samoa should be played
I'd like the Nrl to take 3 weeks off and smash the origin in 3 weeks in a row

hutch

First Grade
I think there are a lot of issues facing the game that require changing (like the need to expand) but I think this could end up being one of the best things the NRL ever does.

This will shine huge spotlight on SOO for a full 3 week period drowning out all other sport in the country. Good luck to any other code planning to schedule matches against SOO during this period. The media in NSW and QLD will be wall to wall origin.

It'll basically be like 3 weeks of GF hype. I really think this could see SOO ratings go even higher and the value of SOO for the NRL would go through the roof.

It reduces the impact of a dead rubber. At the moment it means a few weeks where the NRL is still crippled by origin but the interest in origin also wanes. This way it only lasts for a week and there is an immediate reply to try and save some face for the losing team.

From the perspective of the regular NRL season there are huge benefits. No longer would there be a 9 week period where origin sucks away all the hype from the NRL. We could also scrap these awful bye rounds.

The origin period is a good time for teams to recouperate and then you basically relaunch the NRL season post origin leading into the finals.

I can see why the NRL is scared, they don't want to mess with origin as it's their big trump card. IMO this would be a huge step forward for the game.

It would make origin bigger and also benefit the sport by increasing interest in other countries whose rep/test teams will also be playing on these weekends.

If I hear one more journalist say we can't do it because it will give other codes a 'free kick' to host blockbusters of their own on those weekends I'll go crazy. Other codes won't even get a mention those weeks, everybody will be focused on origin and other rugby league tests or tournaments. Some of us on these forums have been calling for this for over a decade and it's taken this long for the nrl to schedule one rep weekend. I'm not holding my breath that they will schedule 3 in the near future. Zero vision.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Has to go stand alone. Parramatta playing a massively under strength Storm is unfair on every other team.

Disco

Bench
2 weekends off for a festival of rep footy

Weekend 1 = Full NRL round (SOO players missing)

Wednesday Night = SOO 1

Weekend 2 = City v Country (revived, Blues players who miss SOO get the stake their claim)
Tonga V Samoa
Indigenous All stars V Maori All Stars
Jnr Kangaroos V Junior Kiwis

Wednesday Night = SOO 2

Weekend 3 = England V NZ
Fiji V PNG
Womans AUS V Kiwis

Wednesday Night = SOO 3

Weekend 4 = Full NRL round (Coaches can back up or rest SOO players

The whole thing is done and dusted in 3 weeks and coaches get a little mid season break to reassess their squad and tactic and adjust

RufusRex

Post Whore
4 rep weekends with 8 teams having a BYE on each of the weekends and 8 teams playing in 4 round games.

Fri - 2 x Club Games
Sat - SOO/Test Match
Sun - 2 x Club Games

The four weeks are

Week 1 - SOO 1
Week 2 - SOO 2
Week 3 - SOO 3
Week 4 - Aus/NZ Test Match

Teams selected the Sunday night before the match and players go into a week long camp
No players allowed to back up from Sat into the Sunday games.
Teams therefore are only impacted by 2 x rep weekends a year.

siv

First Grade
2 weekends off for a festival of rep footy

Weekend 1 = Full NRL round (SOO players missing)

Wednesday Night = SOO 1

Weekend 2 = City v Country (revived, Blues players who miss SOO get the stake their claim)
Tonga V Samoa
Indigenous All stars V Maori All Stars
Jnr Kangaroos V Junior Kiwis

Wednesday Night = SOO 2

Weekend 3 = England V NZ
Fiji V PNG
Womans AUS V Kiwis

Wednesday Night = SOO 3

Weekend 4 = Full NRL round (Coaches can back up or rest SOO players

The whole thing is done and dusted in 3 weeks and coaches get a little mid season break to reassess their squad and tactic and adjust

Not bad - maybe do Tuesday rather than Wednesday night

Last Week

Bench
I'd like the Nrl to take 3 weeks off and smash the origin in 3 weeks in a row

Na. We have media saturation over the course of origin. I don't think it should be any longer, but what we have now I think works.

I'd love for Origin to die if the international game were able to take its place.

POPEYE

Coach
Na. We have media saturation over the course of origin. I don't think it should be any longer, but what we have now I think works.

I'd love for Origin to die if the international game were able to take its place.
Who do you think it works for ol' mate

Marlins

Juniors

I'd love the international game to grow just as much as anyone but in no way at origins expanse.

mistertaylor

Juniors
How does this sound.
R1-R15. All teams play each other once.
3 week break for Origin.
R16-R22. Top 8 teams play each other once. Top 6 progress to finals series in spots 1-6 respectively. Meanwhile, bottom 8 teams play each other once.
R23. Top 2 from Bottom8 group play bottom 2 from the Top8 to decide the last 2 finalists. Top 6 enjoy the week off.
FINALS SERIES PER CURRENT FORMAT.

Thoughts?

Latest posts