What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

TheFrog

Coach
Yep but literally no other club would have wanted him.
If the NRL was all there was, perhaps this would be correct, although I'm not convinced he is completely unsaleable in the NRL given his win percentage over six seasons. After all, Cleary got another gig after taking us to the spoonbowl and having a much lower winning percentage at our club.

As has been suggested already, Super League clubs would no doubt fight for Griffin's signature.

If the NRL was all there was, perhaps this would be correct, although I'm not convinced he is completely unsaleable in the NRL given his win percentage over six seasons. After all, Cleary got another gig after taking us to the spoonbowl and having a much lower winning percentage at our club.

As has been suggested already, Super League clubs would no doubt fight for Griffin's signature.
Cleary while he has issues (Injuries, average attack) has done well with poor to average sides. Griffin has done average to very poor with good squads.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What is a good or bad squad is a matter of opinion. Winning percentages aren't.

I have a question: What players were brought into the club to take it from Poor- average to Average to good ?

I can only recall Tamou (who isn't rated by many) an Rein who played the majority of the year in ISP (has slow delivery from hooker, and a little malinged).

Trying to work out the logic here.

Abacus

Juniors
If Griffin were happy to accept this demotion, there would probably be no issues. It would still involve the club shelling out a seven figure sum for a role that should be worth a tiny fraction of that. Then you have the possibility that another NRL or SuperLeague club offers him a head coaching gig. It could become messy. Some seem to think that could never happen, but he's got a 55% win record in the NRL.

If Griffin dug his heels in (probable), it would be highly likely that this would amount to "constructive dismissal" and they'd have to pay him out in full.
Gus is mates with Griffin's manager, so shouldn't be a problem ;)

I have a question: What players were brought into the club to take it from Poor- average to Average to good ?

I can only recall Tamou (who isn't rated by many) an Rein who played the majority of the year in ISP (has slow delivery from hooker, and a little malinged).

Average Broncos without Locky. Good what hes had here and when he had Locky.

But an average squad with Brisbane means even less with all the other advantages they have. To miss the 8 with them takes a truly awful coach

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Average Broncos without Locky. Good what hes had here and when he had Locky.

But an average squad with Brisbane means even less with all the other advantages they have. To miss the 8 with them takes a truly awful coach

I was referring to the Panthers squad not the Broncos.

What timeline are you talking?

Because Soward, Wallace, Whare, Merrin, Peachey have all been brought in from other cubs in the past 5 years.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Cleary while he has issues (Injuries, average attack) has done well with poor to average sides. Griffin has done average to very poor with good squads.

This is what I was referring. I didn't realise the writer was talking about Hook from his time in Griffin, whilst giving IC all the excuses in the world because of ongoing injuries issues. Funny how that was cleaned up with IC and Couger left at the end of 2015.

I was asking the question: How come IC was considered to have a poor - average squad, and Hook and average to good squad at Panthers, with only a couple of players added (none of whom anyone seems to rate)

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Now I can see some folks were talking about coaches and various squads which they coached over the years.

Not a very scientific way of working out coaching stats.

Our squad has had in the past 2 years

2 origin players (Mansour & Moylan)

3 former origin players (Tamou, Wallace & Soward)

3 kiwi internationals (DWZ, Hiku, Whare)

2 Australian internationals (Merrin & RCG) - mansour too but already counted in origin

Nothing subjective about that.

and I wasn't giving Ivan the excuse of injuries I was saying he and Ronnie were the cause of most of them. I have given Hook/Gus credit before for turning that around

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I never mentioned stats but MX has quoted the ones that actually matter over and over so I won't.

To me these are the only relevent stats. The ME the sample size is too small to be of note:

How many games each coach has won and the winning %. The NRL don't adjust winning teams into whether their squad was poor or average. That doesn't appear in the winners coloumn. Neither where the opposition is placed on the NRL ladder.

To me these are the only relevent stats. The ME the sample size is too small to be of note:

How many games each coach has won and the winning %. The NRL don't adjust winning teams into whether their squad was poor or average. That doesn't appear in the winners coloumn. Neither where the opposition is placed on the NRL ladder.
Ivan had absolute bums STARTING for us. Newton,Ciraldo,Docker,Will Smith, Walsh, Burns.....I could go on and on

They can’t be easily compared.

Cleary had to do a complete rebuild. Hooks rebuild was much smaller. The squad, despite an appalling 2015, was largely intact.

Latest posts