What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

If he has done his job properly and transformed the club and got systems in place, his job should no longer be required.

CEO will take on some of his role.

That’s why Gus appointed such a young CEO, he was already doing some of the job. Also why fletcher added football club ceo to his leagues club role.

When Gus goes we’ll get a new CEO who understands football. Obviously won’t be conducting coaching but he’ll need to be involved in recruitment, which fletcher definitely isn’t.

franklin2323

Immortal
Considering Frankus was talking to me, what excuses did I make? How do me and you come to an agreement that this year is too soon to judge and turn around and say to someone else I'm making excuses?

I said it tongue in cheek. It seems to be the go to argument when you use reason around here. I should of put lol after it or something

franklin2323

Immortal
Nah just hard to tell in writing. It's funny now I have the context.

Part of the reason I haven't unleashed on Griffin yet is the fact you need to give coaches atleast 2 years to stamp the team as theirs.
Word is Bulldogs have a big cleanout coming they will be stronger next year and the year after then this year. Same with Souths and same with GC. Hopefully the releases we have done was part of that and we can now get on and play some good footy

Frankus

Juniors
CEO will take on some of his role.

That’s why Gus appointed such a young CEO, he was already doing some of the job. Also why fletcher added football club ceo to his leagues club role.

When Gus goes we’ll get a new CEO who understands football. Obviously won’t be conducting coaching but he’ll need to be involved in recruitment, which fletcher definitely isn’t.
The way I see things is Gus has made himself invulnerable, using key appointments of sub standard staff (whether intentional or not) making himself look irreplaceable. Great leaders manage themselves out of a job which is light years away from achieving.

The way I see things is Gus has made himself invulnerable, using key appointments of sub standard staff (whether intentional or not) making himself look irreplaceable. Great leaders manage themselves out of a job which is light years away from achieving.

Hadn’t thought of it like that. Not sure why it’d be intentional, doesn’t seem like a guy who’d be hard up for money. Unless it’s just an ego thing.

OldPanther

Coach
Hadn’t thought of it like that. Not sure why it’d be intentional, doesn’t seem like a guy who’d be hard up for money. Unless it’s just an ego thing.

I think it was last year he was talking about his health and almost sounded like he was over things. Maybe he really thought Griffin(coming from Broncos) and Co. Would be what we needed and he's worried he failed and has to stay longer.

tripster

Juniors
I think it was last year he was talking about his health and almost sounded like he was over things. Maybe he really thought Griffin(coming from Broncos) and Co. Would be what we needed and he's worried he failed and has to stay longer.

I know I am taking things even more off topic - but he certainly doesn’t look like a healthy man. I wish him a long life and all but I can’t see him remaining very active in his old age (assuming he doesn’t have a heart attack or a stroke). He certainly won’t be doing a Richie Benaud and commentating into his old age.

Abacus

Juniors
In our case Gus refuses to give anyone a chance. He tells everyone they're NRL quality. But because they arent experienced hes not willing to give them a chance.

Poor Brennan could have had a shot with us at a healthy club he helped rebuild. Players he knows and loves. Who love him. Pretty much the ideal situation for him to get experience.
Moving Brennan along really only makes sense if the auto-extension for making finals theory is true. Hard to convince Brennan to wait another 2-3 years.

Otherwise wouldn't you try to hold Brennan as insurance against them team flopping in 2018, particularly given the rumoured turmoil surrounding Griffin.

TheFrog

Coach
Moving Brennan along really only makes sense if the auto-extension for making finals theory is true. Hard to convince Brennan to wait another 2-3 years.

Otherwise wouldn't you try to hold Brennan as insurance against them team flopping in 2018, particularly given the rumoured turmoil surrounding Griffin.
Brennan was successful in his application for a head coach gig at the Titans having won the NSW Cup and the "superbowl". Meanwhile Griffin was extended another two years on top of the year he had left already. I don't know if Brennan was still under contract but how could we possibly keep him as a reserve grade coach under those circumstances?

tripster

Juniors
On the Griffin will be sacked theory, doesn't his contract extension count significantly against it. True that we don't know if it has performance clauses in it, but if it doesn't, the club would be up for huge payments (look what is happening with Des Hasler) and the management would look completely inept having renewed him only months ago.

Those reasons mean he will almost certainly see out the season in my view, regardless of how we perform. Management's ego is reason enough.

On the Griffin will be sacked theory, doesn't his contract extension count significantly against it. True that we don't know if it has performance clauses in it, but if it doesn't, the club would be up for huge payments (look what is happening with Des Hasler) and the management would look completely inept having renewed him only months ago.

Those reasons mean he will almost certainly see out the season in my view, regardless of how we perform. Management's ego is reason enough.

I’d be interested to know if the contract stipulates he can only be FG coach.

Otherwise I’d give serious thought to putting him in charge of the junior system. Have him oversee Flegg, Harold Matts & SG ball.

Obviously he’d be a bit overpaid for that position, but if he’d be happy doing it I think he’d be an asset.

franklin2323

Immortal

Let's use $500k as the coach wage. 3 years is $1.5m we have to pay out. This and the new coaches wage goes on that off field cap. We break that we get fined how much over it is.

Maybe we get another assistant or something as a cheaper option. Certainly nothing to happen yet to warrant such a hit to the bottom line..

A player revolt. Members boycott etc though may force their hand. Certainly no signs of that yet

tripster

Juniors
Let's use $500k as the coach wage. 3 years is $1.5m we have to pay out. This and the new coaches wage goes on that off field cap. We break that we get fined how much over it is.

Maybe we get another assistant or something as a cheaper option. Certainly nothing to happen yet to warrant such a hit to the bottom line..

A player revolt. Members boycott etc though may force their hand. Certainly no signs of that yet

Exactly. If we sack him, we will stuff up our off field cap, and only be able to afford a worse coach. It isn't going to happen.

Abacus

Juniors
Brennan was successful in his application for a head coach gig at the Titans having won the NSW Cup and the "superbowl". Meanwhile Griffin was extended another two years on top of the year he had left already. I don't know if Brennan was still under contract but how could we possibly keep him as a reserve grade coach under those circumstances?
Griffin's extension was rumoured well before the finals - once it looked likely we would make the finals. Given the slow start to 2017, and that Griffin was already contracted for 2018, extending him before seeing how 2018 starts seems a less prudent/commercial approach than usual - unless there was a contractual trigger.

My feeling is that Brennan was highly rated at the club. From Brennan's viewpoint, once Griffin is extended Brennan absolutely should move on. Also, very difficult for the club to sell "opportunity" to Brennan when the incumbent has just been extended to 2020.

However, if there was no contractual trigger and the usual prudent/commercial approach is followed, then Griffin's extension is pending the club's start to 2018. This may have been enough "opportunity" to convince Brennan to see how 2018 starts - and provide some insurance for the club.

Anyway, more my musings than anything else given what's done is done.

Abacus

Juniors
Surely if it was an automatic extension it would be all over the media.
Why? There are plenty of contract clauses that are not in the media.

From a club viewpoint, keeping automatic extensions confidential allows the club to better sell extensions as being the result of performance, whereas "automatic extensions" may be negatively construed that the club would have preferred not to extend but had no choice.

Its more the timing of the extension, together with the slow start to 2017 and knowing that Brennan would almost certainly move on that makes me think there was a contractual trigger. All water under the bridge now though.

Abacus

Juniors

But what if the coach is not sacked and paid out but reassigned to other duties at the club as suggested by Herb. Griffin's salary would presumably then be excluded from the off-field cap?

Still additional cost for the club but allows more flexibility for the club if required.

mxlegend99

Referee
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/t...e-looking-to-extend-griffins-contract.463411/

I don't buy that his contract was automatically extended. After 2 wins and 7 losses our CEO told us he was getting an extension still.

That start in 2017 being acceptable to us and his contract extension this off-season are why I cant see him having any worries at all.

Along with any player who supposedly didnt like/agree with him being gone already or on the way out next season.

All signs point to him being bulletproof. Gus wont admit to being wrong. He's trying to hide it by sharing Hooks job with Ciraldo and himself. Griffin has 3 more years here minimum IMO.

Latest posts