What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Trials

Abacus

Juniors
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/t...e-looking-to-extend-griffins-contract.463411/

I don't buy that his contract was automatically extended. After 2 wins and 7 losses our CEO told us he was getting an extension still.

That start in 2017 being acceptable to us and his contract extension this off-season are why I cant see him having any worries at all.

Along with any player who supposedly didnt like/agree with him being gone already or on the way out next season.

All signs point to him being bulletproof. Gus wont admit to being wrong. He's trying to hide it by sharing Hooks job with Ciraldo and himself. Griffin has 3 more years here minimum IMO.
Probably. I think I'm still just trying to rationalise the extension.

mxlegend99

Referee
I swear i think a big part of it was Gus doubling down on his decision. Not willing to admit he was wrong.

Especially after the Corey Payne situation. I believe Gus is convinced he is good enough to step in and win us the premiership coaching us part time.

He can get credit for that and boost his ego (deservingly). He can say he was right about Hook (not so deserving). Ciraldo potentially learns alot in the process to replace him (win or lose this may be the case).

Just hard to imagine we are considering sacking Hook for any reason in the same off-season we extended him. He's not a lazy dropkick like Moses Suli. Hes exactly what we knew he was last year. An average coach.

Results didnt stop us talking about extending him 12 months ago. We have backed him over any and every player who doesnt agree with him. It would take something crazy to get him sacked.

betcats

Referee
I see it much the same Mx, either Gould being extremely stubborn or some kind of back room deal with Wayne Beavis who manages them both. I’d love to know who else at penrith Beavis manages, a lot of shady shit happens because of guys like Beavis.

franklin2323

Immortal
But what if the coach is not sacked and paid out but reassigned to other duties at the club as suggested by Herb. Griffin's salary would presumably then be excluded from the off-field cap?

Still additional cost for the club but allows more flexibility for the club if required.

A coaching director type role would still be under the cap. I am hoping we are grooming Ciraldo to take over and will move him into the role. That will ensure a smooth transition

Pomoz

Bench
It is pretty easy to understand why his contract was extended. He made the semi's twice and blooded a whole new bunch of juniors in a year where a few players had personal issues. Easy. Sign here.

Now the pressure is on him to continue to show improvement and we all have our doubts. lets hope he proves us wrong.

It is pretty easy to understand why his contract was extended. He made the semi's twice and blooded a whole new bunch of juniors in a year where a few players had personal issues. Easy. Sign here.

Now the pressure is on him to continue to show improvement and we all have our doubts. lets hope he proves us wrong.

The timing is the odd part for me.

I think we could’ve waited until midway through this year, see what’s what.

Pomoz

Bench
The timing is the odd part for me.

I think we could’ve waited until midway through this year, see what’s what.
Timing is everything. The doubt surrounding Hasler's signature was very unsettling for Canterbury and was all over the media every week. There is no doubt it destabilised the club. I'm sure that spooked the Panther's board. If that hadn't happened the club might not have felt the pressure to move quickly and stop the "will he, won't he" circus before it starts.

Timing is everything. The doubt surrounding Hasler's signature was very unsettling for Canterbury and was all over the media every week. There is no doubt it destabilised the club. I'm sure that spooked the Panther's board. If that hadn't happened the club might not have felt the pressure to move quickly and stop the "will he, won't he" circus before it starts.

Hasler has won premierships and been to multiple grand finals. Coaches like that are typically in demand, I seriously doubt Hook would’ve been.

franklin2323

Immortal

That is the next step really. Now is the hard part tbh

Pomoz

Bench
Hasler has won premierships and been to multiple grand finals. Coaches like that are typically in demand, I seriously doubt Hook would’ve been.
Constant speculation about whether a coach has a job or not is destabilising. It has caused clubs in other sports the same problems.

The other issue then becomes if players know the coach is not being re-signed, they lose respect and stop performing.

It is nothing to do with whether someone will sign Hook, or, Hasler for that matter. Players want certainty.

I, perhaps stupidly, credit the board with more intelligence than to think Hook was in demand 'sign him quick' .

mxlegend99

Referee
Constant speculation about whether a coach has a job or not is destabilising. It has caused clubs in other sports the same problems.

The other issue then becomes if players know the coach is not being re-signed, they lose respect and stop performing.

It is nothing to do with whether someone will sign Hook, or, Hasler for that matter. Players want certainty.

I, perhaps stupidly, credit the board with more intelligence than to think Hook was in demand 'sign him quick' .
If the players like the coach they will try and send him out a winner. Temporary coaches filling in for a sacked coach usually seem respected and players seem to put in for them .

The problem is most coaches are sacked for a good reason. That reason is more likely the reason players dont put in for him. Gus wouldnt accept that either. Just sack any player not putting in.

A lot of good points, but it seems to me Hook was undermined a long time ago when Gus stepped in to training.

One thing occasionally helping out, another entirely being there all the time. (As Merrin said)

Pomoz

Bench
A lot of good points, but it seems to me Hook was undermined a long time ago when Gus stepped in to training.

It is one thing occasionally helping out, another entirely being there all the time. (As Merrin said)
Spot on. Stepping in occasionally is OK, he is a brilliant well respected coach, why not use his knowledge? But taking it over for an extended period just puts Hook in the terrible position of being seen as not good enough by the team. It is cruel to Hook and instead, Gus should have moved him on if he feels he has to takeover training.What if Hook unintentionally says something that contradicts something Gus has said, who do the players follow? They will just see him as Gus's patsy now. I don't think Gus thought this through, or, maybe he has. Maybe he is going to move Hook out and he just wants the time he remains to at least stay on track. Either way, Hook deserves better and so do the players.

TheFrog

Coach
But what if the coach is not sacked and paid out but reassigned to other duties at the club as suggested by Herb.

If Griffin were happy to accept this demotion, there would probably be no issues. It would still involve the club shelling out a seven figure sum for a role that should be worth a tiny fraction of that. Then you have the possibility that another NRL or SuperLeague club offers him a head coaching gig. It could become messy. Some seem to think that could never happen, but he's got a 55% win record in the NRL.

If Griffin dug his heels in (probable), it would be highly likely that this would amount to "constructive dismissal" and they'd have to pay him out in full.

If Griffin were happy to accept this demotion, there would probably be no issues. It would still involve the club shelling out a seven figure sum for a role that should be worth a tiny fraction of that. Then you have the possibility that another NRL or SuperLeague club offers him a head coaching gig. It could become messy. Some seem to think that could never happen, but he's got a 55% win record in the NRL.

If Griffin dug his heels in (probable), it would be highly likely that this would amount to "constructive dismissal" and they'd have to pay him out in full.

Super league would be all over him if he wanted it. Not sure on the NRL though, it’d take a very precise circumstance I think.

Abacus

Juniors
A coaching director type role would still be under the cap. I am hoping we are grooming Ciraldo to take over and will move him into the role. That will ensure a smooth transition
But presumably overseeing junior development would not be? Doesn't really matter what role - just so there is no payout and he's not included in the cap. Sit him next to Royce in marketing if need be.

OldPanther

Coach
But presumably overseeing junior development would not be? Doesn't really matter what role - just so there is no payout and he's not included in the cap. Sit him next to Royce in marketing if need be.

Put him in charge of the new country development maybe?

TheFrog

Coach
I don't buy that his contract was automatically extended.
Me either. I think they extended him because he'd taken them to the finals two years running and it was felt that letting him go into a final year with doubt over the future would have been destabilising for the team. Could be 100% wrong though.

Me either. I think they extended him because he'd taken them to the finals two years running and it was felt that letting him go into a final year with doubt over the future would have been destabilising for the team. Could be 100% wrong though.
Yep but literally no other club would have wanted him. Was just Gus being Gus and doubling down on his puppet

Latest posts