What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 Vs Newcastle

franklin2323

Immortal
Cleary's return this week is huge. Not because we are lacking in the halves but because it fees up Peach to cover other positions. His utility value has been nullified whilst he has been anchored down at 6.

This is one of the reasons I hope he is comes off the bench. Give him 30 mins just roaming and would cause trouble. Throw in Katoa for 20 too and it is a great injection late

OldPanther

Coach
I noticed Jarrod Wallace reportedly signed for $700k yesterday... Seeming more that IF the figures are right we got market value.

Not 2 years ago though. Since then the salary cap has gone up and so has player values. Under the increased cap Tamou is fine since it has caught up to his worth.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not 2 years ago though. Since then the salary cap has gone up and so has player values. Under the increased cap Tamou is fine since it has caught up to his worth.

A lot of the cap is forecasting though Edwards would be on overs for a 20 game rookie. Whare would be on overs now but at the end on unders. It is better than giving the players a % of any increase

Abacus

Juniors
I had a read through the Knights post-match discussion. They're ruing the fact that they have some good young forwards but no elite, experienced forward leader for them. In this respect, I think they are where we were 2-3 years ago.

Our young forwards have come through in leaps and bounds - we knew there was potential, but for them to start realising that as a pack is beyomd my expectations. I attribute a considerable part of this to leadership from Tamou & Merrin.

What value of their salaries do we allocate to seeing young players achieve higher performance levels more quickly? For example, having someone like JFH who may be on $250k (if he's lucky) playing like he's worth $600k (I'd have JFH in his current form ahead of Jarrod Wallace)?

Put this aspect together with his ability to slow and control the ruck and you know I'm not trolling when I say that I consider Tamou has been a good value signing.

franklin2323

Immortal
I had a read through the Knights post-match discussion. They're ruing the fact that they have some good young forwards but no elite, experienced forward leader for them. In this respect, I think they are where we were 2-3 years ago.

Our young forwards have come through in leaps and bounds - we knew there was potential, but for them to start realising that as a pack is beyomd my expectations. I attribute a considerable part of this to leadership from Tamou & Merrin.

What value of their salaries do we allocate to seeing young players achieve higher performance levels more quickly? For example, having someone like JFH who may be on $250k (if he's lucky) playing like he's worth $600k (I'd have JFH in his current form ahead of Jarrod Wallace)?

Put this aspect together with his ability to slow and control the ruck and you know I'm not trolling when I say that I consider Tamou has been a good value signing.

I agree with all of that. I think it was Crichton that said Whare was doing a similar job with the backs. Maloney with the halves it is all small pieces that has us in our premiership window right now

Abacus

Juniors
A lot of the cap is forecasting though Edwards would be on overs for a 20 game rookie. Whare would be on overs now but at the end on unders. It is better than giving the players a % of any increase

Agreed. Salary cap management is about long term planning. With no team having gone back-to-back for 25 years, most clubs realise they'll only get 1 bite of the cherry. You can plan for a strong squad to compete for a number of years but you'll probably only get 1 year that the stars align (if you're lucky).

We had no idea how long it would take for our young forwards to reach NRL maturity so Tamou for 4 years @ $700-$750 (if correct and subject to TPAs) was a bit of a gamble. I think its proved an investment in our young pack. And like the property market, the cap will always increase. So something expensive initially appears less so as the market increases. We're already getting the return out of our investment while others are throwing fortunes at Wallace, Boyd and Glasby.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agreed. Salary cap management is about long term planning. With no team having gone back-to-back for 25 years, most clubs realise they'll only get 1 bite of the cherry. You can plan for a strong squad to compete for a number of years but you'll probably only get 1 year that the stars align (if you're lucky).

We had no idea how long it would take for our young forwards to reach NRL maturity so Tamou for 4 years @ $700-$750 (if correct and subject to TPAs) was a bit of a gamble. I think its proved an investment in our young pack. And like the property market, the cap will always increase. So something expensive initially appears less so as the market increases. We're already getting the return out of our investment while others are throwing fortunes at Wallace, Boyd and Glasby.

You will never get any player by offering them their current worth for the next 4 years. It is indentifying what you need and what you can afford. predicting the what kids come in is the hard part and where we have got in trouble in the past. Hence the releasing of guys

mxlegend99

Referee
Tamou was a better player 3 years ago though. 2015 form Tamou would be worth that in todays market. He was one of the best at the time. He was a rep player and consistent.

That said I wouldnt use desperate clubs as a guide for what a position is worth. Every now and then you get a situation like the Knights with Ponga... paying overs at the time but ultimately getting a bargain.

More often though desperate signings are flops or bad investments.

Eels seem to be the best at bad buys. Watmough being the king of them. They paid $900k a season for a broken down Watmough under a much smaller cap ffs. Although they did try to cheat to get him. Foran and Jennings for less on the cap. Still massive overs even before being caught cheating.

OldPanther

Coach
Tamou was a better player 3 years ago though. 2015 form Tamou would be worth that in todays market. He was one of the best at the time. He was a rep player and consistent.

That said I wouldnt use desperate clubs as a guide for what a position is worth. Every now and then you get a situation like the Knights with Ponga... paying overs at the time but ultimately getting a bargain.

More often though desperate signings are flops or bad investments.

Eels seem to be the best at bad buys. Watmough being the king of them. They paid $900k a season for a broken down Watmough under a much smaller cap ffs. Although they did try to cheat to get him. Foran and Jennings for less on the cap. Still massive overs even before being caught cheating.

Yeah I was excited to get Tamou at the time and he's definitely been better for us than those blokes for the Eels. Considering we have two finals series in a row and are top 4 right now I won't complain too much.

The Realist

Juniors
These last bunch of comments are utter TOSH. I have heard the 'Forwards Leader', 'from a Winning culture' line trotted many times. Petero, Manu, Kite etc. Just like rebuild after rebuild after rebuild.

It is just flimsy rhetoric to justify (disguise) a poor value signing. There is no way on Gods earth that Tamou was worth $750K even based on the form he had when we signed him. His form has markedly dropped since then. Just because market value (mis-valuation) has inflated since then doesn't suddenly make the signing any better.

The fact is at the time we paid Elite Aussie Rep money, and got Above average first grade prop not even in consideration for Origin.

franklin2323

Immortal
These last bunch of comments are utter TOSH. I have heard the 'Forwards Leader', 'from a Winning culture' line trotted many times. Petero, Manu, Kite etc. Just like rebuild after rebuild after rebuild.

It is just flimsy rhetoric to justify (disguise) a poor value signing. There is no way on Gods earth that Tamou was worth $750K even based on the form he had when we signed him. His form has markedly dropped since then. Just because market value (mis-valuation) has inflated since then doesn't suddenly make the signing any better.

The fact is at the time we paid Elite Aussie Rep money, and got Above average first grade prop not even in consideration for Origin.

You don't think all of those guys mentioned helped the guys coming through? How is it elite money? Junior Paulo has been offered the same to go to Parra.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah I was excited to get Tamou at the time and he's definitely been better for us than those blokes for the Eels. Considering we have two finals series in a row and are top 4 right now I won't complain too much.

That is the thing results show it is the right call. When he leaves we will get a better indication of whether he was a dud or not

OldPanther

Coach
That is the thing results show it is the right call. When he leaves we will get a better indication of whether he was a dud or not

Our pack won't fall over without him. That's not anything against him we've just developed a good core of props now.

Fish
Reg
Merrin
Leota
Hetherington
Ellis.

mxlegend99

Referee
We made the finals and won more games the season before he arrived.

How does going from 6th to 7th and making week 2 of finals both years prove it was the right call? The fact he has not made us a better team says he wasnt worth that money.

Maloney on the other hand is proving his worth. If we lost Tamou instead of Browne or McKendry we would still be sitting in second place. If we lost Maloney we would be sitting on the fringe of the 8 at best.

Tamou doesnt make our team worse. But he doesn't really improve us either. RCG. JFH. Mez. Yeo and Kikau are all far more important to our pack. Tamou sits with CHN, Leota, Browne and Mckendry for mine. He's a level below but should really be a level above.

At his best he was as good as any front rower in the game. But that was in 2014 and 2015.

Latest posts