What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 Saturday 19th May v Cowboys @ 1300 Smiles Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
All I can say about that is wow!!! That was a game that can only be described as a Rugby League miracle. like wow!! How did we win that? I'm honestly not sure, you should have seen me during that last few seconds, the full rollercoaster of emotions right there.

Tbh, I don't think we deserved to win that game as we just looked a little flat for most of that game and the Cowboys were the better side. Imo, we were just a bit off tonight. But it is an absoulute testment to our side to get that ball back off the drop out, get down the other end and snatch the game. Yes, it may be contriversial but I think it was 100% the right call. yes, we got lucky but at the end of the day, it was our never say die attitude that got us in position to get that penalty. But yea, geez we were so lucky as I don't actually think that was that good of a performance from us. Still, I am friggin stoked we pulled through considering the circumstances and a wins a win.

Our attack wasn't too bad tonight. To the Cowboys credit, we didn't actually get that many opportunities but we did look dangerous on the rare occasion we got in their red zone. However, the Cowboys were jus able to hold on when we threw so much at them. We did lack a bit of execution at times with passes not going to hand or not being able to find that last piece of play but overall, I think we did a good job considering the side was so re-shuffled due to those injuries. One area that wasn't as good as it has been was the power game. That is mainly because of the Cowboys defence and the extra fatigue we suffered but there didn't seem to be as much power there tonight. We didn't seem to roll through like we have in previous games. Anyway, I though our attack was okay. It wasn't as good as it could be but it wasn't bad either.

Defence was a mixed bag. We did a great job to hold them out at times, but then other times, we let them score on that right edge twice through some shaky defence. We let them make ground way too easy as our line speed wasn't that great and we were struggling to control the ruck, the result being quick play-the-balls and momentum to the Cows. This is an area we took a step back in because it was so friggin good last week. I also thought our dicipline was poor at times and we gave away some dumb penalties at dumb time. But it wasn't all doom and gloom in this area because a lot of this is due to the increased fatigue the team was under due to those injuries and even though the Cowboys had so many opportunities, we were able to repell them many times.

Johnston: Not really much to say due to his early injury but he did look sharp before he had to come off. Let's hope it's nothing too serious and he's right to go next week.

Graham: Was good. He did his job and really rolled his sleeves up coming out of our own end, these were all good runs too which relieved a fair bit of pressure. Only made one defensive error from rushing in but was otherwise solid in this area.

Inglis: Outstanding. One of GI's best games this year easily. Got shifted to Fullback early on and wreaked havoc on the Cowboys defensive line. he just looked so dangerous and bent the line almost every time he got the ball. seeing him in open space on a few runs was just fantastic and that run he made when he almost set Hunt up was the best he's looked all year imo. A top performance from GI.

Gagai: I have to be honest. he didn't actually impress me tonight. I thought he wasn't involved anywhere near as much as normal and when he did have a run, they weren't as powerful as normal due to the fact he kind of always slowed down when he got to the line. Defensively, he was a little shaky and made a couple of poor errors. He wasn't really bad, he was just a bit off. Thankfully, an off game for Gags is still okay.

Hunt: Was okay. Had some strong, powerful runs that bent the line and his work rate was nice and high but he still has these little errors in his game that let him down somewhat. That knock on he made from the 20 metre tap changed the game because off the back of that, the Cows scored and momentum shifted a little. If not for that it would've been a pretty good game from him.

Walker: Looked pretty dangerous tonight. I was dissappointed in his sin-binning but otherwise, he was decent. Threatened to break through numerous times and was creating plenty of space for those outside him. I'm really liking some of his short-side raids as the opposition does not expect it and it looks so slick. At the end of the game, it was Cody's run that set up our win imo, that was an awesome run from the drop out.

Reynolds: Was good. His kicking game (goal kicking included) was just so on song today, I loved it. He was able to get the ball to find the grass down their end and pin them there many times or his kicks to the sideline for a breather was great game management. He was tossing up some cracker balls for Gus and it's just a shame that nothing really came of them, that looked so dangerous though. Then there was his goal kicking and kicks for tounch too that were outstanding! What's more, I think that Reyno has really worked on his defence and it's starting to show. A nice game from him.

T.Burgess: Just the usual, barnstorming game from him. Even when our pack wasn't really making metres, he'd always come up with a big run, get those legs pumping and then generate a quick play the ball, he did a great job. Yes, he got a bit fatigued but tbh, I though he handelled the increased minutes well.

Cook: A fantastic game from him again. Service on point, defence on point, picking when to run...on point. man, he just keeps that defence guessing all night and the Cowboys were no different. That try he scored was sensational!! Also what a ball for George's try!

G.Burgess: See coments for Tom as they were both similar. How good was it to see big Georgie cross the stripe too?!! His first one ince Round 2 2015 and that try tonight was well deserved.

Sutton: Played his role to perfection, did his job. His runs tonight were strong and he was bending the line many times. I just love how Sutto is turning back the clock this year!!! King Sutto!!

Crichton: Was good. He looked really dangerous. Started the game a bit shaky with that loose pass to Sam but recovered well after that. As mentioned earlier, Reyno was throwing him some excellent ball and he was running some excellent lines. Almost scored early on from this and there were a few other times where he made a half break, I was just waiting for him to fully burst through but sadly, that didn't happen. His other hit ups weren't bad also and I don't think he made any glaring defensive errors.

S.Burgess: Like AJ, There's not as much to say due to his injury. He was looking good beforehand though with his trademark runs and it's a shame he couldn't stay out there. Hopefully he's okay for next week too and I think it was a good move from the staff to not risk him further by putting him back out there.

Doueihi: Was good. His first time playing as a centre in the NRL and I though he did a real good job, nothing flashy but he did what was required. Looked dangerous in attack, wasn't afraid to make the tough runs and he came up with some nice defensive reads to shut down their right edge sweeps.

Murray: A bit more quiet then usual but still made an impact on the game. When he came on, our middle defence improved somewhat as he was a tackling machine. Did his job in attack with strong running too. Thank god we had him because he can play big minutes, we would've been in a bit of trouble if he wasn't there.

Clark: Like every week, there was nothing special but he did his job and that's all we need from him. Still, I don't ever remember him being this energetic before, it's great to see.

Tatola: Made an error but was otherwise okay. I don't think he made as much of an impact as normal but was still solid with good runs.

Overall, I'm not happy with the performance, I don't think the boys are either and we have a lot to improve on before next week. It's hard to simgle out any players obviously but overall, I think we just looked a little flat and that could be due to last week. This must improve.

Still, I'm absoulutely delighted to get a win in that fashion and it's even sweeter because we didn't play at our best. It's wins that that that are really character building and can really set you up. To re-shuffle like that and play with that much more fatigue is an outstanding effort! Thank you lord, that was lucky!!

callmack1

Staff member
Also important to note, that is the first time this year we've won three in a row and with the Storm losing to Mnly, we are now into the top four!!

I think this game, despite winning has kind of brought everyone back down to earth though as it's not the performance the boys would've been after.

CliveC

Juniors
I thought that steal by Cody was the miracle play that put Souths on the road to victory.
Whaddya reckon Southsport should be publicised anywhere and everywhere?
Souths were off their game tonight plus two players injured and still won.
Thats a sign of a top team imo

Rabbits20

Immortal
Also important to note, that is the first time this year we've won three in a row and with the Storm losing to Mnly, we are now into the top four!!

I think this game, despite winning has kind of brought everyone back down to earth though as it's not the performance the boys would've been after.
Evening bro I'm watching it back tomorrow.

I had tears in my eyes when I heard we won!

I just knew it'd be tough though Callmack. Like you and I said winning up there is very tough! The Cows were always gonna come out breathing fire!

Will be extremely tough next week again!

ThingFish

Juniors
OK after a self imposed ban from all Souths social media, tonight’s story was too good to stay away.

I was at a work do with a strict no phones at the table rule. So I’m making an inappropriate amount of toilet runs for app updates. I was pretty confident all game, and last check was 18-12 up. But when it was what I thought might have been full time I took a last trip. Well I let out sharp wtf, it was 18-19 down with only 25 secs left. My Night was ruined, I was going to say my goodbyes and order an Uber, let the youngens keep the night going. Then before I left the restroom I thought I’d get it over and done with one final refresh. Bang 20-19, a quiet “you fncken beauties”, back to the table, and partied on with the youngens for the next 3 hours.

Can’t wait to watch it in the morning. Those are the coin flip games we would have lost over the last few years. The “what if” points that kill you while your mates are watching their teams in September. Glory Glory.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
OK after a self imposed ban from all Souths social media, tonight’s story was too good to stay away.

I was at a work do with a strict no phones at the table rule. So I’m making an inappropriate amount of toilet runs for app updates. I was pretty confident all game, and last check was 18-12 up. But when it was what I thought might have been full time I took a last trip. Well I let out sharp wtf, it was 18-19 down with only 25 secs left. My Night was ruined, I was going to say my goodbyes and order an Uber, let the youngens keep the night going. Then before I left the restroom I thought I’d get it over and done with with a final refresh. Bang 20-19, a quiet “you fncken beauties”, back to the table, and partied on with the youngens for the next 3 hours.

Can’t wait to watch it in the morning. Those are the coin flip games we would have lost over the last few years. The “what if” points that kill you while your mates are watching their teams in September. Glory Glory.
That's gold bro. Absolute gold!

Let's have a round of:

@callmack1 @Itsamansgame @The Windsor Rabbit @southsport

southsport

First Grade
I thought that steal by Cody was the miracle play that put Souths on the road to victory.
Whaddya reckon Southsport should be publicised anywhere and everywhere?
Souths were off their game tonight plus two players injured and still won.
Thats a sign of a top team imo
Cody is not getting many accolades lately, any errors are highlighted and the good play forgotten by people on another site, maybe I should mention that play by Cody?

Scoopdog

Juniors
Cody is not getting many accolades lately, any errors are highlighted and the good play forgotten by people on another site, maybe I should mention that play by Cody?
Cody is nearly entirely responsible for our deadly attack on our left side.he goes to the line straight,and in the majority of times,has made sutto look good hitting the lead,or aj,gi and jennings or hunt look great out the back with crisp,well timed passes.at least some credit is due!