What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I’m honestly not sold on central coast.

It’s obviously a much better stadium than brookvale, but I have concerns about the locals embracing the team. Central coast is a bit like Penrith or Campbelltown, lots of new(ish) arrivals who support other teams

They only need to be everyone's second favourite team in the short term...

They only need people turning up to watch, it doesnt matter who their heart belongs to after their ass is planted in the seat.

Took Penrith a long time to really be embraced, even still many non panthers fans live in the area.

The other thing, the stadium is now 20 years old. Will Manly find themselves in a situation in the not too distant future of needing another upgrade?

Maybe Allianz stadium is the best option?

From the looks, they only need a good roof and theyd be just about set. 20K-ish is fine for a regional team and better than anything Brooky will ever achieve.

If they felt confident going head-to-head with Easts to become THE Sydney City team, then go for it. If not, CC definitley serves...

macavity

Referee
Melbourne and Newcastle also walked away from the CC

Newcastle didn't "walk away" from the CC.

Some clubs (i.e. Wyong) stabbed Newcastle in the back after being supported by them.

CC is Knights catchment, and always will be.

The CC problem is easily fixed.

The NRL simply needs to offer incentives for clubs to take their games vs. the Knights to the CC.

6-8 games there with a common (and popular) denominator and problem is well and truly solved, and further, you probably average 20k on the CC - because unlike most, Knights supporters will travel (and also exist on the CC in big numbers).

It is so blindingly obvious.

horrie hastings

First Grade
From the looks, they only need a good roof and theyd be just about set. 20K-ish is fine for a regional team and better than anything Brooky will ever achieve.

If they felt confident going head-to-head with Easts to become THE Sydney City team, then go for it. If not, CC definitley serves...

They could always increase the capacity of CC Stadium by putting a Grand stand down the southern end out over the road but it would ruin the nice views out over Brisbane Waters.
CC is good stadium but not a great one, the one thing I really noticed when I went this year was the poor sight lines when in the grandstand, I was in the 3rd row of the grandstand and you could just see the sideline if you sat up straight, the view from the first two rows would be obstructed and would be only used if they had a capacity crowd.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Newcastle didn't "walk away" from the CC.

Some clubs (i.e. Wyong) stabbed Newcastle in the back after being supported by them.

CC is Knights catchment, and always will be.

The CC problem is easily fixed.

The NRL simply needs to offer incentives for clubs to take their games vs. the Knights to the CC.

6-8 games there with a common (and popular) denominator and problem is well and truly solved, and further, you probably average 20k on the CC - because unlike most, Knights supporters will travel (and also exist on the CC in big numbers).

It is so blindingly obvious.

Same for warriors, 6-8 games in other nz cities v warriors should be the norm.

But that would take an nrl strategy and some level of commitment by clubs to not be selfish so back to the real world.

Timbo

Staff member
But, that would effectively give the Knights and Warriors 18 home games a season - why would the other 14 agree to that?

Reactions: siv

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Its highly doubtful Manly will ever have the attraction of a city wide club like Souths or Wests so you'd be relying on a lot of fans being willing to travel to allianz, which they wont do as seen by most Sydney teams fans (something about busy roads). TBH they are bit screwed, they cant move and they cant stay. Best hope the sugar daddy doesn't pop his clogs anytime soon.

If that is true then they are left with their final option in the top flight once Brooky falls apart completely - relocation. They don't seem to be doing any ground work for a move like that currently. I wonder what the internal thoughts at Manly are on this issue? I know our game suffers from a general lack of vision but surely someone can see the position that will soon be thrust apon them.

Timbo

Staff member
If the Knights or Warriors or any other club wants to take ownership of the Central Coast, Wellington or anywhere else, that's great. But the onus should not be on the other 15 clubs to make that happen - the games played there should have to be from their own allotment of home matches.

I'm all about putting the game first, but to suggest that in order to nail down Gosford that the territory should be ceded to the Knights but that Wests, Souths, Melbourne, Canberra, The Gold Coast and Cronulla are responsible for taking a home game there to give them the chance to claim the territory is an idea up there with bloody Topball.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Knights or Warriors or any other club wants to take ownership of the Central Coast, Wellington or anywhere else, that's great. But the onus should not be on the other 15 clubs to make that happen - the games played there should have to be from their own allotment of home matches.

I'm all about putting the game first, but to suggest that in order to nail down Gosford that the territory should be ceded to the Knights but that Wests, Souths, Melbourne, Canberra, The Gold Coast and Cronulla are responsible for taking a home game there to give them the chance to claim the territory is an idea up there with bloody Topball.

How is it any different from what most clubs already do in taking home games on the road to earn some extra revenue? All that is suggested is that those on the road games are financially supported by nrl and against a specific opposition in a specific location in order to help grow the interest in nrl and give places without a team someone to follow regularly.

carcharias

Immortal
How is it any different from what most clubs already do in taking home games on the road to earn some extra revenue? All that is suggested is that those on the road games are financially supported by nrl and against a specific opposition in a specific location in order to help grow the interest in nrl and give places without a team someone to follow regularly.

What has that got to do with future NRL Stadiums?

adamkungl

Immortal
For the good of the game?

Why wouldn't Knights or Warriors play their home games there if they want to claim it as their territory?
Seems a bit arse-about.
And doesn't work in practice when you factor in minor problems like reality.

Let's limit this to Sydney clubs, since everyone for the most part agrees with the idea of Sydney clubs taking games on the road due to supposed over-supply.

I'm gonna remove Wests and Dragons from the equation since they are already spread thin between home regions.
So 7 clubs. Most don't want to sell more than 1 or 2 home games.

If each of these clubs sells those 2 home games to Gosford and NZ as has been suggested, problem solved!
But what about Perth? Adelaide? Country NSW? Magic Weekends? Double Headers? Overseas jaunts to LA and London? That's at least another 7 locations or occasions which you can argue need a few games a season.

If each club gives up 1 more home game (9 remaining...) each of the above can have 1 game.
1 game isn't enough for Perth and the Bush! Give up another (8 to go).
Now every possible expansion location has enough games. Sydney clubs only have to give up 4 home games each.

Perfect, right?
Oh and also make the season 4 weeks shorter to fit in a proper international season.

carcharias

Immortal
If Newcastle and the warriors move their home game against the Sharks to shark park then I’m all for this dumb arse idea.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ideally required:
Gosford 4
Perth 4
Adelaide 2
Darwin 1
Country NSW 4
Country QLD 2
NZ-not-Auckland 2
Magic Weekend 7
Overseas 2

Total: 28

To tackle everything everyone thinks we should be doing would cost every un-merged Sydney club 4 home games each. Completely unrealistic.

franklin2323

Immortal

Teams take the game to places they can increase corporates and members. CCoast games v Newcastle would do nothing for either of those

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
@macavity and @Perth Red make really good points.

If we aren't going to move teams out of Sydney, then let's reduce the number of games in Sydney to create a bit of scarcity.

If each Sydney team gave up four home games we could service Adelaide and Perth, the two big market cities that we don’t have clubs in with multiple NRL games per year, we could service the Central Coast with multiple games per year and then have one game in each of the following locations to spread the game right around Aus & NZ: Darwin, Cairns, Hobart, Bathurst, Hamilton, Wellington, Christchurch & Dunedin. Use teams familiar to the region as the away team (i.e. Warriors in NZ, Newcastle in Gosford as has been pointed out in previous posts). All Dragons’ not Sydney games should obviously be played in Wollongong.

As cities like Perth get a team, those games can be taken to another market to help grow the game. There would still be sh!t loads of footy in Sydney but it might help the crowd situation to reduce saturation.