What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I don't understand this Bennett love as people have short term memories. He left Saints with the biggest mess it was not funny as they were in great shape when he got the club. He also had no care in the world by taking their key players and a few juniors. Then he recommends Price. That is probably the worst of the lot. OK he gave us one of our greatest memories for a while but he has given us a world of pain since which I don't want to go through again when he leaves us high and dry AGAIN. He left the Knights in a bigger mess so he does have good form and will leave the Bronco's in bad shape as well.

Bring in his assistant Demitriou if Maguire is unavailable before they consider Bennett. Demitriou will have the Siebold, Robinson and Maguiore effect and have the team flying from day 1 as a rookie coach.

I don't understand this Bennett love as people have short term memories. He left Saints with the biggest mess it was not funny as they were in great shape when he got the club. He also had no care in the world by taking their key players and a few juniors. Then he recommends Price. That is probably the worst of the lot. OK he gave us one of our greatest memories for a while but he has given us a world of pain since which I don't want to go through again when he leaves us high and dry AGAIN. He left the Knights in a bigger mess so he does have good form and will leave the Bronco's in bad shape as well.

Bring in his assistant Demitriou if Maguire is unavailable before they consider Bennett. Demitriou will have the Siebold, Robinson and Maguiore effect and have the team flying from day 1 as a rookie coach.
I get your point, but he didn’t hold a gun to the boards head to sign Price, nor he compound that error by giving McGregor the last 4 years, that’s on the inept management.
He took Darius, a no brainer he would follow, Smith, old on his last legs, Costigan, old on his last legs, Scott, who we could have used, and McKinnon, who while I appreciate the tradegdy, I didn’t rate anyway.

If he comes the condition would be JD comes too..........wait? Who am I kidding, there’s no conditions, just get us out of this hole the board has dug for us.

avocado

Juniors
I don't understand this Bennett love as people have short term memories. He left Saints with the biggest mess it was not funny as they were in great shape when he got the club. He also had no care in the world by taking their key players and a few juniors. Then he recommends Price. That is probably the worst of the lot.
He was leaving to go to a rival club. He left some landmines.

This only left him 14 other clubs to worry about.
Genius move in my opinion.

Gareth67

First Grade
Loved his opening remark - “ there are a lot of drama queens in the media “ - tell it like it is Wayne !

Well my earlier prediction was fairly spot on , he said what was on his mind and perhaps didn’t say what his Plan B ( hell he has more than one plan ? - the blokes a genius ) was should they give him the shaft at seasons end .

Still a lot of twists and turns before anyone knows where some coaches shall be next season , but unfortunately I do believe that our Mary won’t be going anywhere . As D.S.61 mentioned yesterday we will end up with 2 from 3 wishes granted , namely the new CEO and a new part owner , better than the situation we have endured over the last 7 years .

Red V for life

Juniors
I actually thought this was a shrewd move by Bennett. I see it all as an attempt by Bennett to force the club into making public their decision so he can make his about his next move. He mentioned a couple of times he wouldn’t make the decision for them this time, which surprised me as I thought he’d jump before being pushed.

I have no doubt some clubs have sharpened their pencils and have made informal enquiries.

Loved his opening remark - “ there are a lot of drama queens in the media “ - tell it like it is Wayne !

Well my earlier prediction was fairly spot on , he said what was on his mind and perhaps didn’t say what his Plan B ( hell he has more than one plan ? - the blokes a genius ) was should they give him the shaft at seasons end .

Still a lot of twists and turns before anyone knows where some coaches shall be next season , but unfortunately I do believe that our Mary won’t be going anywhere . As D.S.61 mentioned yesterday we will end up with 2 from 3 wishes granted , namely the new CEO and a new part owner , better than the situation we have endured over the last 7 years .
If the new CEO commissions another “review” into the year and comes to the conclusion “we didn’t do too bad considering” I’m out at the first hurdle.

dragonreddy

Juniors
I actually thought this was a shrewd move by Bennett. I see it all as an attempt by Bennett to force the club into making public their decision so he can make his about his next move. He mentioned a couple of times he wouldn’t make the decision for them this time, which surprised me as I thought he’d jump before being pushed.

I have no doubt some clubs have sharpened their pencils and have made informal enquiries.

He is sticking to the contract running until 2019 seasons end line, so the Broncos have to pay him out when he is told he is not required for 2019 at the end of this season .

dragonreddy

Juniors

Mate you can't blame Bennett for the six years of ineptitude and apathy from management that followed Bennett winning us a premiership.

It was time for the club to cash in on success but they well and truly dropped the ball, that's where your world of pain came from.

possm

Coach

Don't blame Bennett, blame Doust:
Doust was the one who rejected Bennett's request for a 5 year deal and instead gave him a 3 year deal. This presented Bennett with a 3 year window to win a premiership - not build a future for the club. Building a future would take much longer than 3 years.

Doust appointed Price
Doust appointed Mary
Under Doust's control, a few great players were let go and some duds were signed.

hazzbeen

Bench

With you in this I am not fussed to have him back but if its to get rid of Mary and company , and its a way of breaking up the circus then yes ....

TruSaint

Referee

Disagree mate. Sorry.

Bennett does what a coach is supposed to do. Bring results during his tenure and it was a wow of 3 years. We could have had him for 5. As to leaving places in a mess, who's fault is that ? We smiled when he brought Boyd and co with us but got pissed off when players left with him. Thats footy mate.

As to recommending a future coach, that decision lies on the board.. not Wayne. With the fiasco in Newcastle, dont blame Bennett,.. who left the Knights in a mess? Tinkler. Bennett cant be blamed for the operations behind the scenes.

Im not saying he is the answer, but compared to what we have now its a no brainer. Good squad needing an experienced and successful coach. Not a novice.

TruSaint

Referee
My only concern is why don’t the Donkeys want him any more?

Nothing wrong with his age, if anything his achievements and experience are priceless, as are his failures.

But why don’t the Donkeys want him?

It appears the players do, as per Badels article.

The rift between WB and the CEO has reached boiling point as Wayne wanted clarity on his future.
Him standing firm on his contract as mentioned before is a smart commercial move.

Like you say if your good enough.. age is no issue.

One thing is for sure, he wont be lacking motivation to prove his point. Compared to where we are now, it really is an easy choice.

ozbuck

Juniors
I'd take back Bennett with that '10 success even though he did guide us to choking in both '09 and '11

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
My only concern is why don’t the Donkeys want him any more?

Nothing wrong with his age, if anything his achievements and experience are priceless, as are his failures.

But why don’t the Donkeys want him?

Simple, clash of egos with the management.
Only one can stay.
Once the management openly shopped for Bellyache, there was no going back.
Bit like us, really .......................
Once we appointed McGregor, we guaranteed ourselves novice status until he's moved on.