What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals week two, Rabbitohs v Dragons, Saturday 15th September 7:40pm @ ANZ Stadium

Sonic Star

Juniors
Not a death rider mate I have been watching Souths for a very long time,that doesn't mean I am 100% correct or even 10% correct.
eg the media tell me that Sam and Munster are superstars.
I believe that is rubbish.
Ellery Hanley used to play lock/5/8 in the Anglo Test team when they were ordinary,in one Test Hanley won it single handed for England.A truly great English player.If I had a choice it would be Sam in the second row and Hanley at lock!
I said elsewhere that Cody played a role in three of our tries while Munster kicked a field goal.Cody isn't a superstar but Munster is ...that is utter bullshit.Cody wiped the floor with Munster in our previous clash!
Back to Souths, if I challenge your opinion as to how good our team is that's my opinion v yours.Not an insult!
Have a good day Mate!

Yeah you don’t think Sam is a super star lol

You keep saying Walker had 3 try assists when it was only 1 lol

You don’t rate Munster as a star either, he won his team the game when it mattered.

You talk a lot of rubbish mags

SBD82

Coach
That's very gentlemanly of you to say; but you blokes deserved it well and truly because all the basic things were done right. Gus called it good when he said the Broncos look great when they have the share of possession because their attack just wears down opponents to the point of being bamboozled. He noted that when the boot is on the other foot, and Brisbane have to do the bulk of defence, they fall apart. Without going over the stats of their season, that sounded fairly right to me - and to deprive Bennett's mob as was done yesterday was pure class in how to play League by the Dragons.

That magic last try, when the game was over and didn’t have to have any energy expended on it, shows that the Saints have got their early season mojo back. The joy on the faces of the players is a sign of rejuvenation that cannot be ignored.

Injuries on both sides will play a part, but I am feeling like I did back in the mid-60s walking down Phillip St, across Moore Park to the SCG where Souths v Saints was always the Match of the Day.
Watching lomax, leilua and dufty celebrate that try was a great sight to a dragons supporter. Not just because of the game, but because those three are dragons juniors who have come through the ranks together(ish) and are living up to the potential that they have shown in their junior years. Must have been a great feeling for them to put on a show on such a big stage.

That sort of youthful exuberance could either work for us or against us this Saturday, but I hope they go out there and give it their best shot.

southsport

First Grade
Watching lomax, leilua and dufty celebrate that try was a great sight to a dragons supporter. Not just because of the game, but because those three are dragons juniors who have come through the ranks together(ish) and are living up to the potential that they have shown in their junior years. Must have been a great feeling for them to put on a show on such a big stage.

That sort of youthful exuberance could either work for us or against us this Saturday, but I hope they go out there and give it their best shot.
Dragons have some good young talent coming through.

This season has already exceeded all of my expectations by a long, long way. After we sacked Madge last year, I thought we'd be a bottom four team. So to make the second week of the finals and to do after going down by a bees dick to Melbourne in Melbourne is a massive achievement in my books.

I will take whatever happens from here on in, on the chin, If we bow out this week, I'll still be thrilled with our season.

The only thing I ask is that whoever wins this week, goes on to beat the Roosters next week.

Can't have those scum bags in the GF.

callmack1

Staff member
That's very gentlemanly of you to say; but you blokes deserved it well and truly because all the basic things were done right. Gus called it good when he said the Broncos look great when they have the share of possession because their attack just wears down opponents to the point of being bamboozled. He noted that when the boot is on the other foot, and Brisbane have to do the bulk of defence, they fall apart. Without going over the stats of their season, that sounded fairly right to me - and to deprive Bennett's mob as was done yesterday was pure class in how to play League by the Dragons.

That magic last try, when the game was over and didn’t have to have any energy expended on it, shows that the Saints have got their early season mojo back. The joy on the faces of the players is a sign of rejuvenation that cannot be ignored.

Injuries on both sides will play a part, but I am feeling like I did back in the mid-60s walking down Phillip St, across Moore Park to the SCG where Souths v Saints was always the Match of the Day.
Welcome to the forum mate, you make some really good points.

On another note, we will come into this game with an eight day turnaround which is great and the Dragons come in with six days. I don't believe that is a massive advantage in the modern game but who knows? It could play it's part.

CliveC

Juniors
That has been the best summary of that great game: succinct and insightful. We have a tonne of reasons to hold our head up and go forward with confidence.
If we can get at least one of the two refs and one of the touchies to do their job, then we are a big chance from here on end.
BTW - what constitutes a chicken-wing tackle these days? And exactly what makes a shoulder charge not a shoulder charge? How's Crichton neck from the non-crunch tackle? Why can one camera pick up a stripped ball, but not four humans on the field wearing yellow shirts? If NRL is going to be a lucky dip when it comes to interpretating the rules, then you may as well watch Rugby Union.
Yeah, I'm a whinger - but I am not blind and I am not a liar!
Hi Morehead St.I figure you are referring to the street near Redfern Oval.
A couple of stories,my Dad lived there and started following Souths about 1914,one of his good mates was the great Harold Horder who lived around there also!
Good post mate!

Pommy

Coach
Well... I'll be flying Sydney to Manchester via Doha on Grand Final day... So here's hoping they have live sports on my flight. Particularly if Souths make it.

You will have to let me know how Qatar airlines are as were thinking about using them for a holiday early next year.
We did a stop over in Dubai last year and thought we would try a different middle eastern nation next time.

thebrow

Juniors
The better halves pairing has won each game of the finals so far.

We have the better halves against St George now Widdop is out , we should wipe the floor with them. But dont get carried away , even with Latrell missing the Roosters have a better halves combo than us and will be very tough to beat , our forwards will need to be very on top of them to get the win to stop their halves who know how to close close games out.

southsport

First Grade
A reality check.
Saints were exceptional yesterday.
Our team in the light of day.
AJ safe under high ball,can't beat a tackle fast and chimes into backline well,not in good form.
CG and Jennings both good young players with a future,neither has the speed for the wing!
GI one of a handful of game breakers,Gags good player but erratic rarely beats the tackle
Walker also capable of the big play but makes blunders.
Reyno v.g kicking game strong d.but injury prone big ticker!
The twins big tough and a key to winning,brain snaps expected.
Cookie another game breaker give him a sniff and it's try time.
Second row our Achilles heel,Sutts dies with the ball while Walker waits in vain for the offload.Angus can't pass the ball tries hard but is a one trick pony.
Sam Mr.110% every game but one of the worst ball handlers ever,a key player if we are to win.
Clarkie good player tries hard but just not big enough.
Cam Murray one of my clan!Huge ticker top defender and will offload to another Souths player,( not an opponent)A game breaker.
Now I know brother bunnies will object go for it.Thats my honest summary of our players!
Basically true what you say there Clive but it's a bit rough on Cody, I know someone that would disagree with that one.

Sonic Star

Juniors
Not a death rider mate I have been watching Souths for a very long time,that doesn't mean I am 100% correct or even 10% correct.
eg the media tell me that Sam and Munster are superstars.
I believe that is rubbish.
Ellery Hanley used to play lock/5/8 in the Anglo Test team when they were ordinary,in one Test Hanley won it single handed for England.A truly great English player.If I had a choice it would be Sam in the second row and Hanley at lock!
I said elsewhere that Cody played a role in three of our tries while Munster kicked a field goal.Cody isn't a superstar but Munster is ...that is utter bullshit.Cody wiped the floor with Munster in our previous clash!
Back to Souths, if Ite!

Munster voted best 6 in the Comp, Cody 4th

www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/10/nrl-official-fans-poll-the-results-are-in/

- Munster best 5/8 (33.3%, Walker 4th 7.8%)

Pretty convincing result as to who fans think is the best five-eighth

callmack1

Staff member

Sonic Star

Juniors
Fans thought JT was the second best halfback in 2018, fans don’t know f**k all

Maybe because he was number 1 in the Comp with try assists on 22

But it’s not about who is right or wrong, it’s all an opinion but I did tell Clive as did other sane people that if fans had to pick between Munster or Walker to have in their side, majority would choose Munster, the proof was in the poll.

Even as a souths fan I would easily pick Munster, if you recruited players with bias, you’re screwed

ThingFish

Juniors
Maybe because he was number 1 in the Comp with try assists on 22

But it’s not about who is right or wrong, it’s all an opinion but I did tell Clive as did other sane people that if fans had to pick between Munster or Walker to have in their side, majority would choose Munster, the proof was in the poll.

Even as a souths fan I would easily pick Munster, if you recruited players with bias, you’re screwed
Count me in for Munster over Cody.

Edit-Both very good players. However you don’t get very good Cody every single game. When he goes missing so does our game plan.

Scoopdog

Juniors

Edit-Both very good players. However you don’t get very good Cody every single game. When he goes missing so does our game plan.
I am a cody fan,but munster rattled angus up several times,1on1 in defence early in the game.very few halves could do that!

Sonic Star

Juniors

Spot on, we need Cody to be consistent and more invovled and help take the pressure off Reynolds.

Reynolds getting smashed because other teams know he’s the only kicker we have.

Hopefully he has a strong game vs the dragons

Latest posts