What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

ouryears

Bench
Well I think he’d be considered at the panthers, manly and a post Seibold Souths. He might suit the titans or the eels.

Players seem to like him.

He spoke well at the presser. Backed his men.

The saints are not a great side on paper. He’s had a good year. Right down to a single point.

Only the hardest heart would be inconsolable.

The whole season came down to a second or two.

That’s one of the reasons why rugby league is so awesome. So many variables and tests.
The point you overlook Pilot house is we lost 6 or 7 from the final 9 games.

He took the team from First to 6th by Saturday night.

Some losses were by 40 points.
The game vs the Grubs for Thomo was embarrassing.

The young guns showed what poor judgement he has by playing so well when thrown in.....but they only made the team when he had no one else due to injuries.

A good coach would have realised the young guys deserved a chance many months ago, instead he persisted with the old.

So no, 6th isn't good enough plus how he ignored better players for so long.

He has to go.

I predicted your denial.

It’s dissapointing you chose to personalise it and dress up your hidden intolerance for free expression by way of befuddled reasoning and just resort to personal abuse.

It’s quite creepy.
Instead of trying to sound intelligent why not be straight forward in the way you express yourself.
So anyone that calls you out on the nonsense you peddle is "creepy"?
Your "hidden intolerance of free expression" barb is pretty flimsy considering the hundreds of intelligent exchanges I have had on this forum.
Rationalizing your failure to put forward succinct arguments by purposely misconstruing and twisting my responses to you is childish on your part.
Like I said, it seems that you are very precious and sensitive to anyone that challenges your logic or wants to debate any of your arguments.
Please tell me where in my responses to you have I resorted to personal abuse?

Pilot house

Juniors
The point you overlook Pilot house is we lost 6 or 7 from the final 9 games.

He took the team from First to 6th by Saturday night.

Some losses were by 40 points.
The game vs the Grubs for Thomo was embarrassing.

The young guns showed what poor judgement he has by playing so well when thrown in.....but they only made the team when he had no one else due to injuries.

A good coach would have realised the young guys deserved a chance many months ago, instead he persisted with the old.

So no, 6th isn't good enough plus how he ignored better players for so long.

He has to go.

I guess the assumption is that all things being equal, player ability cancelling out, mary personally ensured these successive losses.

Somehow Mary controlled every player and made every decision.

That just can’t be right.

The players testimony over this difficult period was their own acceptance of responsibility for playing badly. Not one of them blamed Mary.

On the other hand, If you accept that Mary controlled some or most of the players and decisions, then you end up with a substantial period of saints leading the comp and thereby owning every other side in the league.

You would also be obliged to accept that they ended up nudging a grand final playoff with a second string side with almost no current rep footballers.

That they pushed and mostly tortured a side for 79 minutes which was dripping with internationals, origin stars and sparkling youth ( with a fine coach too) to the very edge of defeat with one of the most battered, injured, fatigued and lacklustre teams ever to grace a finals series.

So either way, I think it doesn’t make much sense to call for Marys head now.

If anything, he deserves much praise for his hard work, good decision making and sacrifice this year. Perhaps even a modest bonus to keep him hungry.

Stop boo-ing Santa Claus gentlemen, Mary has had an awesome season.

He is a gun coach.

TruSaint

Referee
The players testimony over this difficult period was their own acceptance of responsibility for playing badly. Not one of them blamed Mary.

He is a gun coach.

Please give me one example of a player blaming a coach publicly ? Just one. Whilst that player and coach are under contract ( not a bitch like Tallis years after his tenure under Bennett ).

One example pls.

Your last sentence is surely in jest.

I cant see any NRL club lining to secure the services of this gun coach, purely for the fact he isnt. Lets remember It was the squad he wanted... His words..

Granted great effort against Souths, .. I will give you that.

Pilot house

Juniors
Instead of trying to sound intelligent why not be straight forward in the way you express yourself.
So anyone that calls you out on the nonsense you peddle is "creepy"?
Your "hidden intolerance of free expression" barb is pretty flimsy considering the hundreds of intelligent exchanges I have had on this forum.
Rationalizing your failure to put forward succinct arguments by purposely misconstruing and twisting my responses to you is childish on your part.
Like I said, it seems that you are very precious and sensitive to anyone that challenges your logic or wants to debate any of your arguments.
Please tell me where in my responses to you have I resorted to personal abuse?

I’ve already given you one example and you went into standard denial. More followed and you are having a good go in this post above too
It seems to me you have a sad interest is in baiting people. The self-flogging was a new one though. I don’t care who you have had intelligent exchanges with although I consider it unlikely.

Just block me or whatever they do here on this forum.

Go and bully someone else.

Pilot house

Juniors
Please give me one example of a player blaming a coach publicly ? Just one. Whilst that player and coach are under contract ( not a bitch like Tallis years after his tenure under Bennett ).

One example pls.

Your last sentence is surely in jest.

I cant see any NRL club lining to secure the services of this gun coach, purely for the fact he isnt. Lets remember It was the squad he wanted... His words..

Granted great effort against Souths, .. I will give you that.

Thanks and i would welcome your insights into my other points too. The ‘coaches recruitment service’ usually keeps things secret unless you are Gus Gould.

I think he showed a lot of faith in that statement about his squad and that would have lifted every soul under his command, but truth be told he would rather have the kangaroo squad or Melbourne or the Rorting scum line up.

He’s allowed to tell a few porkies for morale.

From the outside looking in, he seems a fair kind of coach.

The grass seems greener but rarely is. Sims was a devastating blow. No real replacement.

41yearsaint

Juniors
I guess the assumption is that all things being equal, player ability cancelling out, mary personally ensured these successive losses.

On the other hand, If you accept that Mary controlled some or most of the players and decisions, then you end up with a substantial period of saints leading the comp and thereby owning every other side in the league.

You would also be obliged to accept that they ended up nudging a grand final playoff with a second string side with almost no current rep footballers.

That they pushed and mostly tortured a side for 79 minutes which was dripping with internationals, origin stars and sparkling youth ( with a fine coach too) to the very edge of defeat with one of the most battered, injured, fatigued and lacklustre teams ever to grace a finals series.

If anything, he deserves much praise for his hard work, good decision making and sacrifice this year. Perhaps even a modest bonus to keep him hungry.

He is a gun coach.
It's not Mary, too many big words.
Souths fan I reckon.

ouryears

Bench
Thanks and i would welcome your insights into my other points too. The ‘coaches recruitment service’ usually keeps things secret unless you are Gus Gould.

I think he showed a lot of faith in that statement about his squad and that would have lifted every soul under his command, but truth be told he would rather have the kangaroo squad or Melbourne or the Rorting scum line up.

The grass seems greener but rarely is. Sims was a devastating blow. No real replacement.
Ok Mary.
Time for bed.
Gun coaches don’t come 6th from 16.
Gun coaches don’t lose 7 from 9.
Gun coaches dont get beaten by 40 points
Nor do they play havoc with the bench
And they certainly identify young talent years before McNugget does

If Mary is a gun, he ain’t loaded.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Sack that turd another failed year when he had a team to win the premiership, two floggings against teams running last and second last enroute to the semi finals proves his not a coach and saints wil never win a premiership under him ,his continued picking players that don't performe is disgraceful his use of the bench and his non resting of key players is diabolical reasons why the team limped into the semi finals his love affair with dads army players over young genuine talent is revolting surly can't waist another year with this guy as coach there absolutely kidding them selves if they think McGregor is a first grade rugby league coach

I’ve already given you one example and you went into standard denial. More followed and you are having a good go in this post above too
It seems to me you have a sad interest is in baiting people. The self-flogging was a new one though. I don’t care who you have had intelligent exchanges with although I consider it unlikely.

Just block me or whatever they do here on this forum.

Go and bully someone else.
I feel sorry for you.
Obviously just a big sook.

ouryears

Bench
Sack that turd another failed year when he had a team to win the premiership, two floggings against teams running last and second last enroute to the semi finals proves his not a coach and saints wil never win a premiership under him ,his continued picking players that don't performe is disgraceful his use of the bench and his non resting of key players is diabolical reasons why the team limped into the semi finals his love affair with dads army players over young genuine talent is revolting surly can't waist another year with this guy as coach there absolutely kidding them selves if they think McGregor is a first grade rugby league coach
Well said.
Agree 100%
It is disgraceful how he picks out of form old players against up and coming stars
It’s sickening and stupidity at its highest.

ouryears

Bench
I'd be nice then for the Illawarra faction to lift the threshold on what it considers to be a successful season and a successful coach.

Straight Shooter
Anywhere from 12th or better is successful to them.
A successful coach is any old boy who can finish 12th or better
Bunch of deadset merkins who wouldn’t know success unless a bloke like Bellamy stuffed it down their throats

ouryears

Bench

Being a fair and well liked coach does not make him a good or successful coach.
He has won 50% of all games, that is unsuccessful
25 rounds, 50% wins equals 12.5 wins equals 25 competition points.

Ummmm, that gets you into 11th to 13th position on the ladder.
He picks old out of form players over young guns coming through, that in itself deserves the sack, he is stuffing our club with his decisions.
He oversees several thrashing’s a year, eels put 44 on us, storm put 52 on us, grubs put 38 on us.

He has 50% wins, enough is enough.
He HAS to go.
Unless you are a lover of mediocrity.

ouryears

Bench

He is a gun coach.
A good coach gets players to make the right decisions on the field.
So yes, it was Mary doing all the things you say he didn’t do.
His team was battered because of his decisions.
Every team was tired and worn out from a big season.
Stop making excuses.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I believe it is time for a new coach. McGregor did well to get them up for the two semis but his inability to manage the team through the state of origin period and after was terrible. His refusal to keep picking players out of form was frustrating also he doesnt seem to have confidence in the young stars coming through.
The board needs to act NOW.