What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2: Sharks vs Panthers

martielang

Bench
@martielang you see, I didn’t even have to fact check it and I knew you were talking shit to try and make hook look better.

f**k he got me there. Sorry mate, Souths & Roosters may have both been 1st at the time Raiders beat them.. I look like a real liar now.

MX loves to pull out a stat or two, but when the stats don’t support his argument he pulls out the ‘but’ ‘but’... & then he relies on the good old ‘they threw the game plan out the window so that’s not a real win’ line. I could do the same. Every time we lost under Hook Its because they didn’t follow the game plan, so it’s not his fault & therefore none of the losses count. See how this works?

Pilot house

Juniors
He got the best part of 3 years here and we couldnt improve. Our best form and footy came at the back of of 2016. In 3 years we won only 2 games against teams that finished in the top 4.

It was Hooks 7th year of coaching and his teams always had the same issue. Hook refused to work with people to fix that. He was sacked because he is a stubborn merkin. He had a simple 'gameplan' which was completely ineffective against a well coached team in good form. You cant win a premiership without beating well coached teams in good form. If he actively worked with people and accepted help he would still be our coach and we would have been a much better team. He would be a much better coach. This is a team sport and the coaching staff are supposed to be a team also.

We lost countless players thanks to Hook. We lost countless staff thanks to him and stood to lose more of both while wasting a premiership window under him.

The club had his back for 2+ years even when it was costing us valuable players and staff. Even when he was completely offside with Gus we publicly had his back 100%. Players instructed not to say a bad word about him. Everyone stood by him to reduce distractions. But he distanced himself even further from people. Confused the playing group by cutting staff out when we went to Brisbane. He didnt even watch the whole game. What sort of coach takes the players to play video games and cuts out alll other coaching staff for the trip and then misses part of the game because he decides to get into the dressing sheds early.

He also focused all of his blame at the captain for playing poorly. When he would rip a player to shreds, he would do so to Matt Moylan infront of the team. Honestly its a miracle some players stayed as long as they did under Hook. The only guys who seem to fit into what he wants are the no frills guys.
I don’t think he had a the roster until this year to make a decent charge at the finals. Then on the eve of finals glory he gets taken out the back and shot in the head. Then his replacement fails anyway. Definate fail under cirro , possible fail under hook. Before that an embarrassing and humiliating sneaky approach to Ivan who he sacked a few years ago, just to sign up the silky Nathan An unnecessary war with the tigers and all of that. It was a joke. Some kind of freaky dictatorship going on out west, people were laughing at the panthers, gus’s toy. It’s the same kind of disrespectful treatment given to other coaches. Very unprofessional operation.

Gus was supposed to realise the dreams of the West post-Roger and he’s turned it into a circus.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
I don’t think he had a the roster until this year to make a decent charge at the finals. Then on the eve of finals glory he gets taken out the back and shot in the head. Then his replacement fails anyway. Definate fail under cirro , possible fail under hook. Then an embarrassing and humiliating approach to Ivan who he sacked a few years ago, just to sign up the silky Nathan. An unnecessary war with the tigers and all of that. It was a circus. Some kind of freaky dictatorship going on out west, people were laughing at the panthers, gus’s toy. It’s the same kind of disrespectful treatment given to other coaches. Very unprofessional operation.
Our roster in 2016 was stronger overall then this years roster. Basically had this years rosyer with Moylan instead of Maloney and far better depth.

Merrin. Moylan. Mansour etc. At peak form. Wallace in the best health he has had in years. Carty was a weapon. Blake and Peachey killing it in the centres.

The experience gained in players since certainly hasnt made most of them better. Because careers for the most part stall under Hook.

unKwn

Juniors
masked Panther is saying that griffin actually wanted to leave months before his sacking

age.s

First Grade
We weren't on the "eve of finals glory" when Hook was fired. We'd looked like cellar dwellers for months, getting pumped regularly and only scraping narrow wins against ordinary sides during that time. Maybe Hook turns it around (though there's no evidence to say it would) but acting like we were flying high when he was punted is ludicrous.

I'm not even a Hook hater. I think he did some good things, some bad things and our season was shaped largely by our atrocious injury record. The main reason we had an even remotely good season in spite of our injuries was because of the strength of our squad and the emergent success of our youth focused strategy. In other words, Gould.

We're far from a "circus". We have a very strong roster, have made the finals in 4 of the last 5 years with most NRL pundits agreeing that we're on the cusp of a fairly large premiership window. Compare us to Parra, the Bulldogs, Manly, Gold Coast, even supposed success stories like Newcastle. Or even compare us to ourselves between 07-12. We're in a supremely strong position in comparison and there's no reason to think that's going to change. Gould hasn't performed perfectly, but the idea that he's running this place into the ground is absolute nonsense.

TheFrog

Coach
Our roster in 2016 was stronger overall then this years roster. Basically had this years rosyer with Moylan instead of Maloney and far better depth.
I think they were fitter this year. Even in 2016 they got behind in both finals before coming home. We ended up losing this year on a field goal and Klein allowing the Sharks to cheat in the shadows of full time, so miniscule progress has been made.

I think they were fitter this year. Even in 2016 they got behind in both finals before coming home. We ended up losing this year on a field goal and Klein allowing the Sharks to cheat in the shadows of full time, so miniscule progress has been made.
The ref had very little to do with the result

mxlegend99

Referee
f**k he got me there. Sorry mate, Souths & Roosters may have both been 1st at the time Raiders beat them.. I look like a real liar now.

MX loves to pull out a stat or two, but when the stats don’t support his argument he pulls out the ‘but’ ‘but’... & then he relies on the good old ‘they threw the game plan out the window so that’s not a real win’ line. I could do the same. Every time we lost under Hook Its because they didn’t follow the game plan, so it’s not his fault & therefore none of the losses count. See how this works?
You mean like trying to discredit Ciro for beating the Storm?

Where did I ever say they werent real wins? You're trying to talk up games where we were shit for the majority of them. Phil Gould admitted as much as far as throwing game plans out the window and basically joked about anyone thinking they were executing the game plan better to come back and win.

We matched Hooks best ever season without him and did sometging he has never been able to do without him. In only 4 weeks we beat Storm with Ciro. Our form was better in the last 6 weeks then it was tge 6 before it.

betcats

Referee

What the f**k does souths and roosters have to do with our game against Canberra? why even bring it up??? Lol how stupid.

Funny that you got Ciraldo's winning record wrong as well making him look worse. Hook got fired and for good reason, get the f**k over it.

martielang

Bench
What the f**k does souths and roosters have to do with our game against Canberra? why even bring it up??? Lol how stupid.

Funny that you got Ciraldo's winning record wrong as well making him look worse. Hook got fired and for good reason, get the f**k over it.

I was clarifying my lack of fact checking which you called me out on. So that's what it has to do with it... not rocket surgery yeh? If you were talking about the record under Ciraldo, i apologized unreservedly earlier, If it's any consolation I couldn't even tell you our record under Hook & i idolize the big man.

This all comes back to people getting their knickers in a knot because Buzz asked whether it was the correct decision to fire Hook with 4 weeks to go? It's a question that should be asked by supporters & the board because we ended up limping out of the finals pretty meekly & I didn't see much improvement in our overall game plan (with the exception of kicking), so to me it quite clearly hasn't been the glowing success some want to portray it as?

martielang

Bench
You mean like trying to discredit Ciro for beating the Storm?

Where did I ever say they werent real wins? You're trying to talk up games where we were shit for the majority of them. Phil Gould admitted as much as far as throwing game plans out the window and basically joked about anyone thinking they were executing the game plan better to come back and win.

We matched Hooks best ever season without him and did sometging he has never been able to do without him. In only 4 weeks we beat Storm with Ciro. Our form was better in the last 6 weeks then it was tge 6 before it.

I just wanted you to un-ignore me. I've missed you.

betcats

Referee
I was clarifying my lack of fact checking which you called me out on. So that's what it has to do with it... not rocket surgery yeh? If you were talking about the record under Ciraldo, i apologized unreservedly earlier, If it's any consolation I couldn't even tell you our record under Hook & i idolize the big man.

This all comes back to people getting their knickers in a knot because Buzz asked whether it was the correct decision to fire Hook with 4 weeks to go? It's a question that should be asked by supporters & the board because we ended up limping out of the finals pretty meekly & I didn't see much improvement in our overall game plan (with the exception of kicking), so to me it quite clearly hasn't been the glowing success some want to portray it as?

I meant why even mention who Canberra beat after or before us? Because you are desperately trying to make hook look better than he was at the same time as talking down his successor, this all comes back to that.

I happen to remember that attack you talked up so much in the Canberra game was just kikau going nuts and waqa finishing, it was f**k all to do with hooks coaching you muppet.

martielang

Bench
I meant why even mention who Canberra beat after or before us? Because you are desperately trying to make hook look better than he was at the same time as talking down his successor, this all comes back to that.

I happen to remember that attack you talked up so much in the Canberra game was just kikau going nuts and waqa finishing, it was f**k all to do with hooks coaching you muppet.

Just trying to have a discussion, no need for name calling. again.

age.s

First Grade
Canberra games this year were more about Canberra than anyone else. They could beat anyone. They were also amazing at losing from anywhere. Hard to take much from games against a team like that.

betcats

Referee
Just trying to have a discussion, no need for name calling. again.

Then get your facts right if you want a proper discussion, you use misleading information and connect the dots the same way buzz rothfield does, its obvious what you are doing just like to most people is obvious what buzz does for the DT.

Pilot house

Juniors
We weren't on the "eve of finals glory" when Hook was fired. We'd looked like cellar dwellers for months, getting pumped regularly and only scraping narrow wins against ordinary sides during that time. Maybe Hook turns it around (though there's no evidence to say it would) but acting like we were flying high when he was punted is ludicrous.

I'm not even a Hook hater. I think he did some good things, some bad things and our season was shaped largely by our atrocious injury record. The main reason we had an even remotely good season in spite of our injuries was because of the strength of our squad and the emergent success of our youth focused strategy. In other words, Gould.

We're far from a "circus". We have a very strong roster, have made the finals in 4 of the last 5 years with most NRL pundits agreeing that we're on the cusp of a fairly large premiership window. Compare us to Parra, the Bulldogs, Manly, Gold Coast, even supposed success stories like Newcastle. Or even compare us to ourselves between 07-12. We're in a supremely strong position in comparison and there's no reason to think that's going to change. Gould hasn't performed perfectly, but the idea that he's running this place into the ground is absolute nonsense.

From the outside looking in, you snatched defeat from the jaws of opportunity. Cirro didn’t make it to the grand final definitely while hook never got the opportunity to even try. So any way it’s spun, the result was against the reason given for his sacking. So it was a dumb reason. Had no merit at all.

Then you are running about being sneaky, trying to snare other clubs contracted coaches behind their back and they threaten to sue you. You sacked this coach before. You want his freaky and talented kid really, just own up.

Then you get whacked out of the finals and nobody wants to account for what happened.

This is not a professional way to run a club. People don’t trust the panthers anymore, you look desperate.

All your hopes and dreams on that one kid.

Ridiculous.

The club is too unsettled to be genuine premiership contenders.

Fiefdom.

Last edited:

Abacus

Juniors
From the outside looking in, you snatched defeat from the jaws of opportunity. Cirro didn’t make it to the grand final definitely while hook never got the opportunity to even try. So any way it’s spun, the result was against the reason given for his sacking. So it was a dumb reason. Had no merit at all.

Then you are running about being sneaky, trying to snare other clubs contracted coaches behind their back and they threaten to sue you. You sacked this coach before. You want his freaky and talented kid really, just own up.

Then you get whacked out of the finals and nobody wants to account for what happened.

This is not a professional way to run a club. People don’t trust the panthers anymore, you look desperate.

Ridiculous.

Fiefdom.
Lolz. Dragons fan advising on snatching defeat from opportunity, how to run a club, lack of accountability and premiership contention.

Wishing you many years of Mary-led ordinariness once he's extended through his old boys club affiliation.

mxlegend99

Referee

Ridiculous.

Fiefdom.

Hook had 2016. And 2017. And by Round 21 in 2018 he had made no progress at all. He was given nearly 3 full seasons. We were in terrible form when he got sacked. Our only mistakke was not doing it sooner.

History says the second Broncos put 50 on us our premiership chances were gone. No team in history has won after that.

History also says Hook was never winning more than one game in the finals series and that one game was not going to be against a top 4 team.

Ciro was younger then some of the Sharks players. It was only his 6th game as head coach and he got closer to beating a top 4 team in the finals then Hook ever did. Ultimately he is equally as successful in finals already.