What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
WT have expressed an interest in Damien Cook for 2020 while the Bulldogs have sounded out Jacob Liddle who is off contract at the end of 2019 (Daily Telegraph)

As good as Cook is, he will be around 30 come 2020 and a million bucks a year is a lot of
Loot to be paying a player who is probably going to be on the decline.
Personally I still have plenty of faith in Liddle

Tiger05

First Grade
Seriously 05?

The current NSW hooker Vs a bloke who still cant play 80 mins?

There is no competition at the moment. That is pretty clear. Cook is also great. I just think we could be signing him at the top of his game and on top dollar and it's risky.

I wouldn't be rushing into signing him. I'd see how Liddle goes this year or at least part of it. Liddle does though need to perform this year or we probably have to go after someone like Cook.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Cook has one asset, speed. He isn’t a ball player, doesn’t give particularly good service and has no kicking game. He is able to utilitise his speed at Souths as they have big forwards and get away with playing the ball off the mark. He won’t get either of those with us. He is also one injury away from losing his one asset and will be 29 by the time he got here.

I would much rather give Liddle a full season in firsts and see how he goes. If he doesn’t work out then look elsewhere.

Keep in mind when Cook was Liddles age he was playing off the bench in nsw Cup on a second tier contract. People are writing Jacob off way too early.

WT2K

Juniors
Sounds like it's just paper talk re cook. Most believe he's already re-signed with the rabbits. Easy to throw a tigers link in there with Madge as our coach.

gordsy

Juniors
Cook is way too risky on top dollar. Great player for the right amount of money.

Good luck trying to sign top tier talent at the "right price" when they would be coming from a top 4 club to one who hasn't made the 8 in ages. We'd have to pay overs and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Liddle isn't the answer. The guy hasn't shown has can play 80 minutes and it's a lot to ask of him.
Imo we need to sign a someone who has first grade experience and can play 80 minutes.
On last years efforts we don't have the pack to carry two hookers.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Good luck trying to sign top tier talent at the "right price" when they would be coming from a top 4 club to one who hasn't made the 8 in ages. We'd have to pay overs and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Liddle isn't the answer. The guy hasn't shown has can play 80 minutes and it's a lot to ask of him.
Imo we need to sign a someone who has first grade experience and can play 80 minutes.

*cough* Farah *cough*

Tiger05

First Grade

I hope Liddle is the answer and I think the signs are positive. Farah definitely isn't the answer unless he changes his game late in his career.

Cook is a one dimensional player. His speed out of dummy half is great and when his forwards get a roll on he is awesome. Peats was SOO hooker the year before. I don't consider Peats or Cook top tier talent. They aren't marquee players and you can't offer them crazy money.

super_coach

First Grade

Bit hard on Liddle...Shoulder Reconstruction and sternum injury playing in the middle will destroy any players season. When he did play we at least looked like we could put some attack together. Anyway I am confident if given game time he will prove a lot of people wrong

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don't consider Peats or Cook top tier talent. They aren't marquee players and you can't offer them crazy money.

Totally agree. The fact that Cook is the Australian hooker speaks moreso about the lack of talent in that position around at the moment moreso then anything else. 5 years ago we had Smith, Farah, Ennis, Friend X2, Payne and Ballin running around. IMO most of it not all of these guys were better then Cook. Even the likes of Kingston and De Gois in their prime would probably be considered gun hookers today.

I'd be very wary of offering marquee money to a guy who had his breakout season at 27.

macnaz

Staff member
Cook has one asset, speed. He isn’t a ball player, doesn’t give particularly good service and has no kicking game. He is able to utilitise his speed at Souths as they have big forwards and get away with playing the ball off the mark. He won’t get either of those with us. He is also one injury away from losing his one asset and will be 29 by the time he got here.

I would much rather give Liddle a full season in firsts and see how he goes. If he doesn’t work out then look elsewhere.

Keep in mind when Cook was Liddles age he was playing off the bench in nsw Cup on a second tier contract. People are writing Jacob off way too early.
Spot on Vic.

gordsy

Juniors
Bit hard on Liddle...Shoulder Reconstruction and sternum injury playing in the middle will destroy any players season. When he did play we at least looked like we could put some attack together. Anyway I am confident if given game time he will prove a lot of people wrong

He'd need to be ready to 80 mins from next year because if Farah goes down with an injury and Liddle can't play 80 mins then it's ET to hooker to help cover the shortfall. We've all seen how cr@p that is.

Wizardman

First Grade
Good to see we are all in agreement regarding Cook. No point buying Cook unless you have the dominating forwards to go with it. It is like employing Lewis Hamiliton to drive a Lada.

Tiger05

First Grade
Good to see we are all in agreement regarding Cook. No point buying Cook unless you have the dominating forwards to go with it. It is like employing Lewis Hamiliton to drive a Lada.

I don't think there is agreement but personally I'd be sticking with Liddle and looking to improve other areas of the roster. We can reassess next season.

Liddle has to come on at some point. Are we going to be that club that waits 4 or 5 years for talented juniors to find the next gear. I get that he has been injured but he will need to come on this year a show he can go 80 minutes effectively.