What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
More hair than Arthur.

On a serious note mate I think he is the guy we should go for. He has an Eels’ background, coaches at a huge club in the UK and from all reports is a good coach and person.

I’d give him a 2 year deal and do it prior to round 13. That’s when I hear we will make the call on BA.
I guess that’s one way to find out whether he is a good coach.

How about this then? If we replace him with someone, we need to be comfortable that they can do a better job.

I don't think Arthur is great coach but he isn't a shit coach. Coaching Parramatta isn't easy and there have been countless factors that have contributed to our demise during his tenure. Those factors are the same ones that have seen us not perform well during the tenure of Hagan, Anderson, Kearney and Stuart as well. If we are relying on a 'bounceback' effect then that is the wrong way to look at things. A change of coach alone arguably won't help in the long term. Also, if we change the other factors (which I have previously mentioned) its highly likely that we will start performing well on the field.

Besides, who is a great coach? Bennett? Bellamy? Who else? Beyond a few elite coaches, I reckon the majority are all of equal ability.
I don't think we need to be comfortable that the new coach would do a better job. We just need to think that he probably will. And all those issues that you mentioned have already been taken into account by most people, and plenty of those people still feel that Arthur isn't the man for the job. And it looks like the playing group might be sick of him by now, so getting another coach of equal ability would be an improvement.
All that said, if we start next year something like 9-2 then I would support his re-signing, probably for two years, but only if I felt that if it all went to shit then he would be sacked and paid out. But I don't have that confidence with Max in charge.

El Diablo

Post Whore
what if we start 9-2 and then go to shit and miss the 8?

maybe if we're 9-2 or 8-3 Max should offer him an incentive based contract like Brown's where he doesn't get paid out if things go arse up

i doubt any club will be chasing him as none did this year in all the coach hunting

maybe if we're 9-2 or 8-3 Max should offer him an incentive based contract like Brown's where he doesn't get paid out if things go arse up

i doubt any club will be chasing him as none did this year in all the coach hunting
I guess you could have a clause that if we miss the eight he gets a reduced payout.
Brown said he does get a payout if he gets sacked. I suppose it's just less than most coaches with a long time to run would get. It might not be a bad idea to offer Arthur something similar, but I doubt our club would do it as it's pretty unconventional.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I don't think we need to be comfortable that the new coach would do a better job. We just need to think that he probably will. And all those issues that you mentioned have already been taken into account by most people, and plenty of those people still feel that Arthur isn't the man for the job. And it looks like the playing group might be sick of him by now, so getting another coach of equal ability would be an improvement.
All that said, if we start next year something like 9-2 then I would support his re-signing, probably for two years, but only if I felt that if it all went to shit then he would be sacked and paid out. But I don't have that confidence with Max in charge.
Thinking that they ‘probably will’ be better and going with that as a reason is why we have ended up with a procession of coaches that haven’t performed better than the ones they have replaced.

What are you basing your view that the players ‘might be sick of him’ on? Do we know that for sure?

Happy to replace BA but I want us to be a little more confident that it will be effective than what you are suggesting.

Personally, I was happy for us to punt BA for Bennett and I am probably OK with Flanagan as well. I’d prefer to see us go with proven winners. Hollbrook and other rookie NRL coaches are a bit too risky for mine.

Just my opinion.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

Agree. An incentive based contract could protect us if we re-sign him and things go to shit.

Thinking that they ‘probably will’ be better and going with that as a reason is why we have ended up with a procession of coaches that haven’t performed better than the ones they have replaced.

What are you basing your view that the players ‘might be sick of him’ on? Do we know that for sure?

Happy to replace BA but I want us to be a little more confident that it will be effective than what you are suggesting.

Personally, I was happy for us to punt BA for Bennett and I am probably OK with Flanagan as well. I’d prefer to see us go with proven winners. Hollbrook and other rookie NRL coaches are a bit too risky for mine.

Just my opinion.
Arthur has been here five years already. We've seen what he has to offer and it's not enough. So swapping him for a new coach that the club thinks is probably better is not a great risk.
And of course we don't know for sure if the players are sick of him, but the fact that we just came last suggests it's a real possibility. He's also been quoted as saying the players are sick of hearing his voice. Sometimes a change really is as good as a holiday.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Arthur has been here five years already. We've seen what he has to offer and it's not enough. So swapping him for a new coach that the club thinks is probably better is not a great risk.
And of course we don't know for sure if the players are sick of him, but the fact that we just came last suggests it's a real possibility. He's also been quoted as saying the players are sick of hearing his voice. Sometimes a change really is as good as a holiday.
Who would you sign?

Isn’t it important to know what the options are before vehemently suggesting that a change is essential?
I haven't vehemently suggested anything, nor have I stated that change is essential. I've just given my opinion and the reasons for it. I'm confident that there are better options out there but I don't have much interest in identifying them. There's no chance I could do that as well as the club is able to.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I haven't vehemently suggested anything, nor have I stated that change is essential. I've just given my opinion and the reasons for it. I'm confident that there are better options out there but I don't have much interest in identifying them. There's no chance I could do that as well as the club is able to.
Given that apathy, why would you be disappointed if the club decides that changes aren't essential?

Given that apathy, why would you be disappointed if the club decides that changes aren't essential?
Because I want us to win. Bit of a stretch to suggest that that means I should be spending my time scouting potential coaches. And even if I found the perfect candidate, they're hardly going to take my word for it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Because I want us to win. Bit of a stretch to suggest that that means I should be spending my time scouting potential coaches. And even if I found the perfect candidate, they're hardly going to take my word for it.
So you want to suggest that a change is needed even if you have no idea about what the alternative options are? That's piss.

Latest posts