What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well seeing as though there are a few of us in the same vote, perhaps you haven’t been as clear as you thought.

Perhaps you could enlighten us so we don’t have to go through 24,895 posts?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well seeing as though there are a few of us in the same vote, perhaps you haven’t been as clear as you thought.

Perhaps you could enlighten us so we don’t have to go through 24,895 posts?
No problems in changing to another coach but it needs to be someone that is demonstrably better than BA.

A proven premiership winner that has had sustained success at an NRL club. As I said in one of my earlier 24,895 posts that just happens to be in the last few pages of this thread, I would have been happy with Bennett when he popped up. Equally, I am warming to the idea of Flanagan.

But to me, there isn't a lot of difference in most other coaches. Relying on a 'bounceback' effect isn't going to create long term success and will likely mean that we will want to arsehole the next guy when things inevitably go sour because we haven't fixed the underlying problems at our club.

Noise

Coach
No problems in changing to another coach but it needs to be someone that is demonstrably better than BA.

A proven premiership winner that has had sustained success at an NRL club. As I said in one of my earlier 24,895 posts that just happens to be in the last few pages of this thread, I would have been happy with Bennett when he popped up. Equally, I am warming to the idea of Flanagan.

But to me, there isn't a lot of difference in most other coaches. Relying on a 'bounceback' effect isn't going to create long term success and will likely mean that we will want to arsehole the next guy when things inevitably go sour because we haven't fixed the underlying problems at our club.

Earlier in the year you weren’t keen on Hasler or Maguire. They both fit your criteria of premiership winners and sustained success at an NRL club

Happy MEel

First Grade

Thanks. I’d argue the ‘do nothing’ approach, and to maintain the status quo, is arguably worse. We’ll be going into season 2019 with a coach that has the 4th worst winning percentage in the competition, at 45%. Why is it so outrageous to suggest it is time for a change, even if we do not have the replacement lined up?

This is a footy forum FFS, not the Eels board room. After 6 years at the helm, I’m not confident BA has what it takes to win a premiership, which should be our one and only goal. In my opinion it is time to bring someone in who either has (or perhaps has potential to).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Thanks. I’d argue the ‘do nothing’ approach, and to maintain the status quo, is arguably worse. We’ll be going into season 2019 with a coach that has the 4th worst winning percentage in the competition, at 45%. Why is it so outrageous to suggest it is time for a change, even if we do not have the replacement lined up?

This is a footy forum FFS, not the Eels board room.
I am not arguing that we do nothing FFS. I am suggesting that we prioritise issues that are bigger than who the f**ken coach of our football club is.

I went to the job of summarising it for you and you still f**ked it up!

Noise

Coach
I am not arguing that we do nothing FFS. I am suggesting that we prioritise issues that are bigger than who the f**ken coach of our football club is.

In terms of coaching though (not board room stuff), if we can't get Flanagan or a premiership winning coach to break his current NRL contract you would be happy to extend BA, even if we start the season like we did this year?

Happy MEel

First Grade

Absolutely we need to sort our club’s back office out, I don’t think that’s up for debate. However, I can’t see why we have to do it in isolation with a coaching change. We need both as far as I’m concerned and the sooner both issues get sorted the sooner we are likely to see some success. IMO, Improving one without the other won’t work.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
In terms of coaching though (not board room stuff), if we can't get Flanagan or a premiership winning coach to break his current NRL contract you would be happy to extend BA, even if we start the season like we did this year?
It would depend on the circumstances. Can't really provide a meaningful answer to such a detail poor hypothetical.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It would depend on the circumstances. Can't really provide a meaningful answer to such a detail poor hypothetical.
Avenger suggested round 13 is d-day. Let’s say we are in the same position after round 13 with 2 wins and 11 losses. Do we keep him if a premiership winning coach isn’t available?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Absolutely we need to sort our club’s back office out, I don’t think that’s up for debate. However, I can’t see why we have to do it in isolation with a coaching change. We need both as far as I’m concerned and the sooner both issues get sorted the sooner we are likely to see some success. IMO, Improving one without the other won’t work.
It is up for debate and cant be conveniently quarantined, given its importance.

Where I come from you look at risks to your business and prioritise efforts on those that are most material. Improving the front of house will undoubtedly improve our performances on the field. It will make us far more effective with recruitment, salary cap management, junior development etc which will yield many more benefits in the long term than changing from one average coach to another.

The reason that I have suggested that I would be happy to go for a 'proven premiership winner' such as Flanagan, Bellamy etc is that their insight and experience would provide valuable inputs into that process.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Avenger suggested round 13 is d-day. Let’s say we are in the same position after round 13 with 2 wins and 11 losses. Do we keep him if a premiership winning coach isn’t available?
What are the circumstances that led to our 2 wins and 11 losses?

Happy MEel

First Grade
It is up for debate and cant be conveniently quarantined, given its importance.

Where I come from you look at risks to your business and prioritise efforts on those that are most material. Improving the front of house will undoubtedly improve our performances on the field. It will make us far more effective with recruitment, salary cap management, junior development etc which will yield many more benefits in the long term than changing from one average coach to another.

The reason that I have suggested that I would be happy to go for a 'proven premiership winner' such as Flanagan, Bellamy etc is that their insight and experience would provide valuable inputs into that process.
Considering we have just conducted a wide-ranging review of the club as a whole, I’d say that process has already begun, so no, it’s not up for debate.

The coaching issue absolutely needs to be prioritised because our current coach’s contract is up at the end of the year and whoever will be coaching from 2020 onwards will need to be making some pretty bloody important recruitment decisions with nearly 7 million dollars available at this stage to play with.

How do you not see that?

Latest posts