What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

yakstorm

First Grade
Even if the regional Qualifiers take a little while, I imagine, much like the Pacific Games is doing, it will lead to the emergence of more Nines competitions.

You only have to look at Vanuatu, PNG, Tonga and Fiji, they are all running multiple Nines events or even full round robin competitions at the moment to give themselves the best chance in Apia next year.

Arguably if we can continue the Commonwealth Games event (regardless if we become a medal event or not), plus have the RLWC9s and Pacific Games 9s, we are giving some nations an event to aim for 3 out of every 4 years.

roughyedspud

Coach
That should be the plan...

While I think October is the wrong time for 9s....but if there's somekind of circuit the Jan/Feb before the Oct world 9s then I can live with that .

Last Week

Bench
I know it's a horrible thought, but Union have it right. Circuits.

I see no reason why this should only be once every four years.

I'd love to see us do four a year. Australia, NZ, the UK and then somewhere else if there's interest. This should be something that cities bid for.

Last Week

Bench
That should be the plan...

While I think October is the wrong time for 9s....but if there's somekind of circuit the Jan/Feb before the Oct world 9s then I can live with that .

Mate, I've hit up the RLIF about the format of the tournament. They've referred me to the NRL as they're hosting it.

You got any idea on the format for the tournament?

Force

Juniors
I know it's a horrible thought, but Union have it right. Circuits.

I see no reason why this should only be once every four years.

I'd love to see us do four a year. Australia, NZ, the UK and then somewhere else if there's interest. This should be something that cities bid for.
I would also like to see circuits aswell, I think its a better way to gain more exposure in the regions where the game is scarce. The Emerging Nations was a pleasure to watch, hopefully many of those teams will enter the circuit.

roughyedspud

Coach
Mate, I've hit up the RLIF about the format of the tournament. They've referred me to the NRL as they're hosting it.

You got any idea on the format for the tournament?

No idea...

I swapped emails with Danny K a few years ago about the RLEF setting up somekind of 9s circuit in Europe and he shot it down lol

yakstorm

First Grade
Union has both a Sevens World Cup (last one was this year in San Francisco) which is held every four years plus the circuit competition and honestly there is no reason why League can't have both as well.

World Cups provide nice anchor points for circuits, plus if you want / need a bit of NRL / Super League talent, these are the tournament's to get them in, whilst you use the circuits / regional tournaments as an opportunity to surface emerging domestic talent, plus grow Rugby League's presence in those respective markets.

Stallion

First Grade
Union has both a Sevens World Cup (last one was this year in San Francisco) which is held every four years plus the circuit competition and honestly there is no reason why League can't have both as well.

World Cups provide nice anchor points for circuits, plus if you want / need a bit of NRL / Super League talent, these are the tournament's to get them in, whilst you use the circuits / regional tournaments as an opportunity to surface emerging domestic talent, plus grow Rugby League's presence in those respective markets.

Oddly enough, I'm sure rugby league staged sevens tournaments years ago. I'd suggest this was before union decided to use it extensively?

Springs09

Juniors
Oddly enough, I'm sure rugby league staged sevens tournaments years ago. I'd suggest this was before union decided to use it extensively?

We had yearly Sevens tournaments starting in 1988 before naturally Super League killed it like it killed everything.

Rugby Sevens World Cup started in 1993 and the World Series thing started in 1999.

Of course ours was mostly a club competition with a few national teams thrown in, while the rugby sevens World Cup/Series are international comps.

Last edited by a moderator:

yakstorm

First Grade
As much as I'd love to claim League had a mainstream Sevens event before Union, the reality is that's not true.

The Hong Kong Sevens started in 1976, our World Sevens started in 1988 and whilst the NSWRL did run sevens events before 88', Union, especially in Scotland has had tournaments since the late 1800s.

Maybe if we had stuck with the concept, we could have owned the 'sevens' brand as the Sydney Sevens was quite popular and in the mid-90s we were expanding rapidly as a sport, but we forfeited that opportunity.

Nines is our best bet at the moment for an abbreviated version and for us to try and get into events like the Commonwealth Games, etc.

Stallion

First Grade
As much as I'd love to claim League had a mainstream Sevens event before Union, the reality is that's not true.

The Hong Kong Sevens started in 1976, our World Sevens started in 1988 and whilst the NSWRL did run sevens events before 88', Union, especially in Scotland has had tournaments since the late 1800s.

Maybe if we had stuck with the concept, we could have owned the 'sevens' brand as the Sydney Sevens was quite popular and in the mid-90s we were expanding rapidly as a sport, but we forfeited that opportunity.

Nines is our best bet at the moment for an abbreviated version and for us to try and get into events like the Commonwealth Games, etc.

Wonder how long or when did the NSWRL start to stage sevens events? Something alot of people are not aware of.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hope they get the scheduling right for this, play the nines then the following weekend GB v nz in Auckland. Means fans can travel to Sydney for nines then fly on to Auckland for the test. Pleas get it right nrl/rlif!

Stallion

First Grade
I hope they get the scheduling right for this, play the nines then the following weekend GB v nz in Auckland. Means fans can travel to Sydney for nines then fly on to Auckland for the test. Pleas get it right nrl/rlif!

Good thinking PR!

yakstorm

First Grade
NZ will be in Melbourne the next weekend to play Australia, but GB will be in NZ to play Tonga.

siv

First Grade
International RL 7s goes way back to 1933-34 Kangaroo Tour when Australia played England in a 7 a side format at Leeds

While club 7s was proposed during WWII in 1943 as a way to raise war funds but didn't go ahead

While 9s was a SL concept when they held their first World 9s in 1997

roughyedspud

Coach
I've got a gut feeling that GB will be invited to the world 9s instead of 4 individual invites for England,Wales,Scotland & Ireland..

playdaball

Bench
I've got a gut feeling that GB will be invited to the world 9s instead of 4 individual invites for England,Wales,Scotland & Ireland..

I certainly hope so!

Has the Scotland and Ireland (exclude Wales as RL has had a presence for years) experiment been a success? I think not.