What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

martielang

Bench
Katoa 9, Egan 14 would be my go.

Amazing how quickly people turned on Katoa after a couple of poor games. Easy scapegoat when we were playing shit. Be interesting to see his try assists v minutes, I’d think they’d be right up there.

Fangs

Coach
Katoa edges Egan on experience. Some of it at international level.

Its better for Penrith if Katoa kicks on. But right now it looks like a coin toss. Brandy said Egan was ahead of Katoa in the pre-season which says a lot.

Knowing Ivan he will name both of them in the round 1 side.

OldPanther

Coach

Amazing how quickly people turned on Katoa after a couple of poor games. Easy scapegoat when we were playing shit. Be interesting to see his try assists v minutes, I’d think they’d be right up there.

I like them both but we can't keep both long term and I believe Egan has a higher ceiling. While I could be misjudging him Katoa looks to have reached his peak though this off season could change all that.

Why though?

I think we stand more chance of improving with Katoa, He kicks better, wrestles really well and gets our forwards going much better as long as he doesn't keep coming up with a forward pass each week. Katoa created a couple of tries last season, kicking and passing the ball. IF he can run more he is easily the more complete hooker. Egan is bigger and a much better runner, Katoa pretty well has him covered everywhere else.

franklin2323

Immortal
Katoa has nice vision also, he put Chricton over last year when he spotted they were short down the blindside, he also set up a few tries with kicks. I don't see how Egan has the better creativity tbh.

Edit: In regards to there kicking, Egan had 2 kicks for and 2 kicking metres last season in 11 games. Sione had 22 kicks and 598 kicking metres in 20 games.

I can't find the NYC stats but in 2017 when Egan was NYC player of the year

He scored 18 tries
15 try assists
Ave 34 tackles

In 21 games. Katoa to me seems like a good solid player but nothing more. Whereas Egan has the game to be the dominate 9 at some stage

mxlegend99

Referee
Honestly was pumped for both hookers before their debuts but the excitement deflated pretty quickly. Really worried that neither will kick on.

Katoa was slightly ahead in 2018. But really he hasnt developed much at all in the few years since his debut. I think we've seen his best already

Egan was pretty disappointing after the hype he had. But imo is our better bet at developing a good hooker. I wouldnt be surprised if both end up like Romelo and Iosefa did. If they both fail I hope we hit the market for a 9.

betcats

Referee

You're ok sometimes Martie.

I can't find the NYC stats but in 2017 when Egan was NYC player of the year

He scored 18 tries
15 try assists
Ave 34 tackles

In 21 games. Katoa to me seems like a good solid player but nothing more. Whereas Egan has the game to be the dominate 9 at some stage

Yeah he was very impressive in NYC, but so are a lot of kids, Keiran Moss etc there are heaps. In their NRL game time so far he hasn't really done anything of note. Katoa has.

I can see Egan having the higher ceiling but that doesn't automatically make him our best option for next season. A lot can change in an offseason though, especially with a new coach.

I tend to agree with Mx though, I am not convinced either of them will develop into anything special.

betcats

Referee
Honestly was pumped for both hookers before their debuts but the excitement deflated pretty quickly. Really worried that neither will kick on.

Katoa was slightly ahead in 2018. But really he hasnt developed much at all in the few years since his debut. I think we've seen his best already

Egan was pretty disappointing after the hype he had. But imo is our better bet at developing a good hooker. I wouldnt be surprised if both end up like Romelo and Iosefa did. If they both fail I hope we hit the market for a 9.

Add Moseley to that list.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah he was very impressive in NYC, but so are a lot of kids, Keiran Moss etc there are heaps. In their NRL game time so far he hasn't really done anything of note. Katoa has.

I can see Egan having the higher ceiling but that doesn't automatically make him our best option for next season. A lot can change in an offseason though, especially with a new coach.

I tend to agree with Mx though, I am not convinced either of them will develop into anything special.

My point was when did Katoa show that sort of form? in the 2015 side he was lock or backrow. Been in and out of FG since. Katoa's strength is his size and if he can get rid of the dumb errors he will be a handy FGer. Like FB I doubt this is sorted fully before round 1

betcats

Referee
My point was when did Katoa show that sort of form? in the 2015 side he was lock or backrow. Been in and out of FG since. Katoa's strength is his size and if he can get rid of the dumb errors he will be a handy FGer. Like FB I doubt this is sorted fully before round 1

Yeah I get what you mean, he was no slouch in the juniors tho he had plenty of rep honours. My point was Katoa has shown the better form in the nrl so far which imo is a better indication at this stage.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah I get what you mean, he was no slouch in the juniors tho he had plenty of rep honours. My point was Katoa has shown the better form in the nrl so far which imo is a better indication at this stage.

One has had 4 pre seasons and one in their 2nd. That is the one thing with a those guys they should be no where near peaking

Wookies&Cream

Juniors
Katoa has nice vision also, he put Chricton over last year when he spotted they were short down the blindside, he also set up a few tries with kicks. I don't see how Egan has the better creativity tbh.

Edit: In regards to there kicking, Egan had 2 kicks for and 2 kicking metres last season in 11 games. Sione had 22 kicks and 598 kicking metres in 20 games.
One has had 4 pre seasons and one in their 2nd. That is the one thing with a those guys they should be no where near peaking

This is Egan's first with the top squad

age.s

First Grade
I've always been on the Katoa train. His issue last year was fitness (particularly after Wal went down), but his creativity and vision is all class. He may not end up improving, but it's more likely you'll see a guy improve his fitness than his vision/creativity imo. I still have faith.

Don't want to write off Egan, just haven't seen much from him yet.

Fangs

Coach
Not exactly.
Egan is ahead of Katoa at the moment because Katoa picked up a calf injury in the pre season.
He should be back to full fitness soon.

I meant to say the 17/18 preseason. Brandy made a comment about Egan>Katoa.

This year it's 50/50. None of us know who Ivan will go with. But based on his coaching history I think he will play both and start Katoa.

I meant to say the 17/18 preseason. Brandy made a comment about Egan>Katoa.

This year it's 50/50. None of us know who Ivan will go with. But based on his coaching history I think he will play both and start Katoa.

No worries.

I think he will swap both around all year.

tripster

Juniors
Some pretty interesting stats out on NRL.com about post contact metres in 2018.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/09/stat-attack-the-post-contact-kings-of-2018/

Panthers conceded the least PCM on average per game of any team. That is testament to our line speed and strong hitting in defence. It makes me think back to the Dragons game at Penrith when we were so physically dominant over their forwards. I just hope that style of play remains now that Hook has gone.

Equally, I was surprised that we were lower down on the PCM gained. We finished 11th there.

mxlegend99

Referee
Some pretty interesting stats out on NRL.com about post contact metres in 2018.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/09/stat-attack-the-post-contact-kings-of-2018/

Panthers conceded the least PCM on average per game of any team. That is testament to our line speed and strong hitting in defence. It makes me think back to the Dragons game at Penrith when we were so physically dominant over their forwards. I just hope that style of play remains now that Hook has gone.

Equally, I was surprised that we were lower down on the PCM gained. We finished 11th there.
Our front row was pretty poor in 2018. Kikau and Yeo probably took us from last to 11th for PCM gained. But the form of RCG and Mez really hurt us overall.

Latest posts