1. Out Now: The Front Row rugby league magazine

LeagueUnlimited.com is proud to launch a brand new weekly publication to accompany your footy weekend.

INCLUDES team lists, match previews, match reports, key stats and news from around the National Rugby League - 36 pages and packed full.

EDITION 2 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

2019 Discussion

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Panther_Daz, Sep 15, 2018.

1. martielang

martielang Juniors

Katoa 9, Egan 14 would be my go.

Amazing how quickly people turned on Katoa after a couple of poor games. Easy scapegoat when we were playing shit. Be interesting to see his try assists v minutes, I’d think they’d be right up there.

age.s, tripster and betcats like this.
  2. Fangs

Fangs Bench

Katoa edges Egan on experience. Some of it at international level.

Its better for Penrith if Katoa kicks on. But right now it looks like a coin toss. Brandy said Egan was ahead of Katoa in the pre-season which says a lot.

Knowing Ivan he will name both of them in the round 1 side.

betcats likes this.
  3. OldPanther

OldPanther Coach

I like them both but we can't keep both long term and I believe Egan has a higher ceiling. While I could be misjudging him Katoa looks to have reached his peak though this off season could change all that.

betcats likes this.
  4. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

I can't find the NYC stats but in 2017 when Egan was NYC player of the year

He scored 18 tries
    15 try assists
    Ave 34 tackles

In 21 games. Katoa to me seems like a good solid player but nothing more. Whereas Egan has the game to be the dominate 9 at some stage

OldPanther likes this.
  5. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Honestly was pumped for both hookers before their debuts but the excitement deflated pretty quickly. Really worried that neither will kick on.

Katoa was slightly ahead in 2018. But really he hasnt developed much at all in the few years since his debut. I think we've seen his best already

Egan was pretty disappointing after the hype he had. But imo is our better bet at developing a good hooker. I wouldnt be surprised if both end up like Romelo and Iosefa did. If they both fail I hope we hit the market for a 9.

6. betcats

betcats Coach

You're ok sometimes Martie.

Yeah he was very impressive in NYC, but so are a lot of kids, Keiran Moss etc there are heaps. In their NRL game time so far he hasn't really done anything of note. Katoa has.

I can see Egan having the higher ceiling but that doesn't automatically make him our best option for next season. A lot can change in an offseason though, especially with a new coach.

I tend to agree with Mx though, I am not convinced either of them will develop into anything special.

tripster likes this.
  7. betcats

betcats Coach

Add Moseley to that list.

8. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

My point was when did Katoa show that sort of form? in the 2015 side he was lock or backrow. Been in and out of FG since. Katoa's strength is his size and if he can get rid of the dumb errors he will be a handy FGer. Like FB I doubt this is sorted fully before round 1

9. betcats

betcats Coach

Yeah I get what you mean, he was no slouch in the juniors tho he had plenty of rep honours. My point was Katoa has shown the better form in the nrl so far which imo is a better indication at this stage.

10. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

One has had 4 pre seasons and one in their 2nd. That is the one thing with a those guys they should be no where near peaking

OldPanther likes this.
  11. Wookies&Cream

Wookies&Cream Juniors

This is Egan's first with the top squad

12. age.s

age.s Bench

I've always been on the Katoa train. His issue last year was fitness (particularly after Wal went down), but his creativity and vision is all class. He may not end up improving, but it's more likely you'll see a guy improve his fitness than his vision/creativity imo. I still have faith.

Don't want to write off Egan, just haven't seen much from him yet.

betcats likes this.
  13. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

I thought he was in last too...Still either way there should be much much more improvement in Egan. Katoa maybe not so much Fitness and defence aside

OldPanther and Wookies&Cream like this.
  14. Buzzard Breath

Buzzard Breath Bench

Not exactly.
    Egan is ahead of Katoa at the moment because Katoa picked up a calf injury in the pre season.
    He should be back to full fitness soon.

Fangs likes this.
  15. Fangs

Fangs Bench

I meant to say the 17/18 preseason. Brandy made a comment about Egan>Katoa.

This year it's 50/50. None of us know who Ivan will go with. But based on his coaching history I think he will play both and start Katoa.

Buzzard Breath likes this.
  16. Buzzard Breath

Buzzard Breath Bench

No worries.

I think he will swap both around all year.

17. umina panther

umina panther Coach

That's not a good thing

Edit-
    Will mean that neither has taken the opportunity, Ivan doesn't know what he wants or injuries yet again

18. tripster

tripster Juniors

Some pretty interesting stats out on NRL.com about post contact metres in 2018.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/09/stat-attack-the-post-contact-kings-of-2018/

Panthers conceded the least PCM on average per game of any team. That is testament to our line speed and strong hitting in defence. It makes me think back to the Dragons game at Penrith when we were so physically dominant over their forwards. I just hope that style of play remains now that Hook has gone.

Equally, I was surprised that we were lower down on the PCM gained. We finished 11th there.

CCJohnC and Buzzard Breath like this.
  19. betcats

betcats Coach

Yeah after a few weeks if they are both healthy there has to be a clear starter and bench/back up hooker.

OldPanther likes this.
  20. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

Our front row was pretty poor in 2018. Kikau and Yeo probably took us from last to 11th for PCM gained. But the form of RCG and Mez really hurt us overall.