What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Discussion

franklin2323

Immortal
Not really.

Edwards will be fullback.

The only real question is will Ivan play two hookers or 1 hooker and a utility.

That will determine the make up of the bench.

The rest of you post is complete nonsense. As if Yeo is ever going to play hooker.

I think Edwards should be fullback and hope he is but none of us know what Ivan is thinking and aside from a few shockers Dallen did a reasonable job back there. So I think it is 50/50 really

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think Edwards should be fullback and hope he is but none of us know what Ivan is thinking and aside from a few shockers Dallen did a reasonable job back there. So I think it is 50/50 really

It’s not even close to 50/50.

Who are our two best wingers.... by a country mile. DWZ and Mansour.

Who’s our best FB - Edwards.

If he picks anyone but DWZ and Mansour on the wings, he’s not picking our best line up.

If Edwards gets injured, sure DWZ goes straight in there.

Crashtest

Juniors
I haven't seen anything to suggest he can play with same aggression and make 40-50 tackles in 80 mins as Ivan coached teams seem to need.

I'd prefer Ivan to change his coaching style to match the players that he has available with this squad, rather than trying to make the squad fit his previous coaching style.

mxlegend99

Referee
Wasn't him and Wes out in 2013 which let Moylan make his debut? 2014 gives hope he can last a season
Screenshot_20190114-185848_Chrome.jpg

This was the team Matt Moylan made his debut in.

Whare was moved from fullback to centre. Wes played that game at fullback. Got injured snd Moylan made his debut. Whare must have got first crack as some part of signing him. But after 5 terrible games was shifted to centre and never looked back.

Screenshot_20190114-190324_Chrome.jpg

Round 6 he was named at fullback but moved to centre. 24/24 games. We had 2 byes and played no finals.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'd prefer Ivan to change his coaching style to match the players that he has available with this squad, rather than trying to make the squad fit his previous coaching style.

That is where it is upto the board/Gus to get a coach to match their style and what helps the squad best.

We signed an experienced coach. What is the point if he gets his style amended

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s not even close to 50/50.

Who are our two best wingers.... by a country mile. DWZ and Mansour.

Who’s our best FB - Edwards.

If he picks anyone but DWZ and Mansour on the wings, he’s not picking our best line up.

If Edwards gets injured, sure DWZ goes straight in there.

Again though. A lot of that is opinion. DWZ has played more games at FG then Edwards has. MWZ has played more FG then Edwards.

While I agree Edwards should be the fullback DWZ did enough in his time for us and NZ to show he can handle it

Crashtest

Juniors
That is where it is upto the board/Gus to get a coach to match their style and what helps the squad best.

We signed an experienced coach. What is the point if he gets his style amended

I don't mean I want the board to amend his style for him. I expect Cleary, as an experienced coach, to amend his own game plans to match the skills and strengths of the players in this squad. He is not going to have the Panthers playing the same style of football that he had the weak Tigers squad playing last year. Well at least I hope not anyway, or the board have definitely hired the wrong coach.

The board has hired him I would imagine, to get the best out this squad and have them playing to their potential. Not so he can recreate game plans that he used at the Tigers and previously at the Panthers.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Again though. A lot of that is opinion. DWZ has played more games at FG then Edwards has. MWZ has played more FG then Edwards.

While I agree Edwards should be the fullback DWZ did enough in his time for us and NZ to show he can handle it

It’s not opinion, it’s common sense.

If MWZ was a better winger than DWZ and we were trying to fit him into the team, than maybe Ivan would consider dropping Edwards, that’s when it might be a 50/50.

The fact is, he isn’t. DWZ is a much better winger and he will be picked there.

franklin2323

Immortal
It’s not opinion, it’s common sense.

If MWZ was a better winger than DWZ and we were trying to fit him into the team, than maybe Ivan would consider dropping Edwards, that’s when it might be a 50/50.

The fact is, he isn’t. DWZ is a much better winger and he will be picked there.

Just because you think it should be that way doesn't make it common sense.

FTR I'd have Edwards fullback but I am not the one who's ass is on the line if we lose games.

MWZ is a better winger than Edwards. For for me either Edwards is FB or nothing

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't mean I want the board to amend his style for him. I expect Cleary, as an experienced coach, to amend his own game plans to match the skills and strengths of the players in this squad. He is not going to have the Panthers playing the same style of football that he had the weak Tigers squad playing last year. Well at least I hope not anyway, or the board have definitely hired the wrong coach.

The board has hired him I would imagine, to get the best out this squad and have them playing to their potential. Not so he can recreate game plans that he used at the Tigers and previously at the Panthers.

No coach totally changes their style though. Look at Bennett everywhere he coaches is the same blue print. Where it can change is the assistant coaches.

We changed coaches for a reason. What if the players aren't able to fix their defence? We need to fix defence. You can't just assume the guys Hook/Gus picked where the best fit going forward.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Just because you think it should be that way doesn't make it common sense.

FTR I'd have Edwards fullback but I am not the one who's ass is on the line if we lose games.

MWZ is a better winger than Edwards. For for me either Edwards is FB or nothing

It is common sense.

Edwards is a much better FB than MWZ is a Winger.

DWZ did a great job for us and is a very handy back up. But he’s not as good a full back as Edwards. Dylan’s game is much more complete.

Why would you drop your best FB to move your best Winger there and replace him with your 3rd best Winger.

That’s common sense.

franklin2323

Immortal
It is common sense.

DWZ did a great job for us and is a very handy back up. But he’s not as good a full back as Edwards. Dylan’s game is much more complete.

Why would you drop your best FB to move your best Winger there and replace him with your 3rd best Winger.

That’s common sense.

The spine should be the 1st part of the team picked and go from there

betcats

Referee
It is common sense.

That’s common sense.

You would do it if you think Dallin is the best fullback at the club, simple really.

franklin2323

Immortal
You would do it if you think Dallin is the best fullback at the club, simple really.

To me. You pick your spine and go from that. Say DWZ and Egan get the 1 and 9. Then you decide if you play Edwards on the wing or not. Whether Katoa makes the bench or you go for 4 forwards.

Maloney needs a good defender with him. So that might mean Yeo stays edge backrower and the team goes from that.

The halves and Centres are the only certainties. Kikau will be in the 17 but maybe Ivan likes him off the bench. It is a good thing to have so many positions up for grabs

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't think it would be wrong. Opinions are like assholes though.

I have said I prefer Edwards but aside from the Canberra game in Canberra. I can't remember any shockers Dallen had and an off season training as a FB may just help those areas he lacks. Those paid to make those decisions are better placed to know