What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Meanwhile in Auckland, Eden Park has some serious cashflow issues.. with huge maintenance costs coming.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12187857

Not sure whether this puts a new stadium one step closer - there doesn't seem to be an appetite from Mayor Goff at the moment (funny though, he seemed keen a few months back).

Maybe he's just playing coy and leaving it up to his fellow councilors to be swayed by this news?

Anyway, *if* a new stadium in central Auckland is built it'll have the Blues, Auckland provincial rugby, and Auckland's All Blacks tests as tenants.. plus some concerts - and it may well make a play for Warriors games.

Note: from what I gather, the Warriors signed a new 10 year lease to play at Mount Smart in 2016.. but Mount Smart is owned by Auckland Council.. if a new stadium has some funding from Council, and they have their eyes on redeveloping Mount Smart for another use.. they may go to the Warriors to negotiate some way out.

Cricket is already planned to move from Eden Park to Western Springs (currently a speedway track, to be redeveloped as a cricket oval). . So any NEW stadium downtown will be rectangular.

Cheers for posting...

Would the city stadium still look to be built down on the harbour foreshore if it goes ahead?

I’ve been to Auckland a number of times (awesome city btw) and if they did build it there it would be absolutely epic..

flippikat

Bench
Cheers for posting...

Would the city stadium still look to be built down on the harbour foreshore if it goes ahead?

I’ve been to Auckland a number of times (awesome city btw) and if they did build it there it would be absolutely epic..

From what I gather, there's been some feasibility study on handful of different sites in the inner city.. but the only two options that have leaked out to the public are on the wharf or on some spare railways-owned land by Spark Arena (the big indoor venue).

The latest proposal for a semi-submerged stadium on the waterfront wasn't solicited by the council - it was a private consortium who said they'd build the stadium in exchange for development rights over the old Eden Park site. Basically council handing over that to developers in exchange for a new stadium. I thought the idea had some potential (the swap anyway.. maybe not the semi-submerged bit), but the Council don't seem to like it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
From what I gather, there's been some feasibility study on handful of different sites in the inner city.. but the only two options that have leaked out to the public are on the wharf or on some spare railways-owned land by Spark Arena (the big indoor venue).

The latest proposal for a semi-submerged stadium on the waterfront wasn't solicited by the council - it was a private consortium who said they'd build the stadium in exchange for development rights over the old Eden Park site. Basically council handing over that to developers in exchange for a new stadium. I thought the idea had some potential (the swap anyway.. maybe not the semi-submerged bit), but the Council don't seem to like it.
Don't blame them, that sounds like a developer land grab and they know there will be loud community opposition if both parcels of land are privately owned.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Meanwhile in Auckland, Eden Park has some serious cashflow issues.. with huge maintenance costs coming.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12187857

Not sure whether this puts a new stadium one step closer - there doesn't seem to be an appetite from Mayor Goff at the moment (funny though, he seemed keen a few months back).

Maybe he's just playing coy and leaving it up to his fellow councilors to be swayed by this news?

Anyway, *if* a new stadium in central Auckland is built it'll have the Blues, Auckland provincial rugby, and Auckland's All Blacks tests as tenants.. plus some concerts - and it may well make a play for Warriors games.

Note: from what I gather, the Warriors signed a new 10 year lease to play at Mount Smart in 2016.. but Mount Smart is owned by Auckland Council.. if a new stadium has some funding from Council, and they have their eyes on redeveloping Mount Smart for another use.. they may go to the Warriors to negotiate some way out.

Cricket is already planned to move from Eden Park to Western Springs (currently a speedway track, to be redeveloped as a cricket oval). . So any NEW stadium downtown will be rectangular.

I dont know much about Auckland geography...

I have heard Eden is a shitty location (and the oval shape is pathetic). But would a Central stadium be better than Mount Smart or is it better for the Warriors to just focus on upgrades to MS?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Don't blame them, that sounds like a developer land grab and they know there will be loud community opposition if both parcels of land are privately owned.

Having said that, development rights seem to be the only way to get private funding for stadiums. Stadiums by themselves are just no where near profitable enough...

Last Week

Bench
I've actually been a labor voter my whole life but I really like the progress the liberals have made in NSW. I would be inclined to vote for them in the NSW election but I live in Penrith and that would mean voting for Ayres, who I cannot stand.

I'm exactly the same. The state Libs are nothing like the federal LNP. They have done incredibly well whilst Labor in NSW is just trying to play with political footballs like hospitals and schools. No actual policies at all.

If the Libs lose, it'll have nothing to do with with stadiums or NSW Labor. It'll be because of the bad smell of the federal LNP.

TheRam

Coach
I dont know much about Auckland geography...

I have heard Eden is a shitty location (and the oval shape is pathetic). But would a Central stadium be better than Mount Smart or is it better for the Warriors to just focus on upgrades to MS?

Think of building a Wharf Stadium would be like building a Central Station Stadium here. The location can not be beat. Down Town Auckland is the epicentre. It would instantly become the number one attraction in the city and if your team isn't playing there then they are just second rate. The Warriors would move heaven and earth to be one of the multiple tenants there.

It would also attract many thousands of Aussie tourists there weekly, just like the Perth Stadium does AFL fans from around Aus. Why it hasn't been done already confounds me. If you were in Gov and wanted to build something that would put your city on the map locally and internationally, then this is a no brainer. The buzz and vibe of the city would almost always be in party mode. Local business would be doing handstands and applauding. It would be there Opera House if they built it right, but something for the regular punter to enjoy on a weekly basis not just a few toffs.

TheFrog

Coach
Shannons0515VNCommodore1.jpg

Versus

529010_65815_1_352ec564332fe92b.jpg
So how do the sales of the two compare?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Having said that, development rights seem to be the only way to get private funding for stadiums. Stadiums by themselves are just no where near profitable enough...
They can be if they're managed effectively, IMO. That requires governmental cooperation though.

May as well just fix up the existing one, hey?
To 'fix' the existing one you'd need to make significant structural changes, particularly at the north and south ends of the ground. I imagine that's the cost basis for a knock-down rebuild given those kinds of changes themselves wouldn't come cheap.

So how do the sales of the two compare?

Unsure Mr Frog, had a quick look and can't find 2018/19 sales figures for a 1988 VN Commodore so cant compare apples with apples.

On other notes I looked at reviews of the two. The current day ZB and Current day for VN.

In terms of the ZB Commodore review, here's a few.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/621913/2018-holden-zb-commodore-review-2/

https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/2018-holden-zb-commodore-20t-review

Harder to find a modern day review for the VN but here's a few..

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/ne...mmodore-holden-milestone-or-unguided-missile/

https://www.drive.com.au/used-car-reviews/holden-vn-commodore-20100824-13nd5

Also noted the average current price for a 1988 VN Commodore according to Redbook is $600-$1400.

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/1988-holden-commodore-executive-vn-auto/SPOT-ITM-231447/

Perth Red

Post Whore
Think of building a Wharf Stadium would be like building a Central Station Stadium here. The location can not be beat. Down Town Auckland is the epicentre. It would instantly become the number one attraction in the city and if your team isn't playing there then they are just second rate. The Warriors would move heaven and earth to be one of the multiple tenants there.

It would also attract many thousands of Aussie tourists there weekly, just like the Perth Stadium does AFL fans from around Aus. Why it hasn't been done already confounds me. If you were in Gov and wanted to build something that would put your city on the map locally and internationally, then this is a no brainer. The buzz and vibe of the city would almost always be in party mode. Local business would be doing handstands and applauding. It would be there Opera House if they built it right, but something for the regular punter to enjoy on a weekly basis not just a few toffs.

I think Govt's are just realising how important sports tourism can be (tbf Vic Govt has known this for a long time!) and part of that has to be a state of the art stadium within walking distance, or at least a short public transport hop, to an entertainment precinct. Brisbane's got it right, Melbourne's got it right, Perth's got it right, Adelaide's got it right. Hmmm which city isnt on the list yet? I hope Auckland does develop a new stadium and Warriors play there, MS always looks quiet a open and soulless place on TV but haven't been yet so might be being a bit harsh?

TheFrog

Coach
Unsure Mr Frog, had a quick look and can't find 2018/19 sales figures for a 1988 VN Commodore so cant compare apples with apples.
The new foreign built and rebadged jobbie is not exactly setting sales charts alight (to say the least). Hardly surprising, its uglier than a room full of Gavin Millers. The VN was unassailable No 1 for the entirety of its build.

I've actually been a labor voter my whole life but I really like the progress the liberals have made in NSW. I would be inclined to vote for them in the NSW election but I live in Penrith and that would mean voting for Ayres, who I cannot stand.

What exactly do you like about what the State Government have done? To me all they have done is turn Sydney into a developers wet dream, fill the joint with horridly designed and built high and medium density buildings and destroy the nightlife of a once vibrant town whilst piling more traffic and public transport misery on top of misery.
I just bought my "forever" home in Sydney and am still wrangling with the decision. Basically everyone I know, everyone, is heading for the exit to Melbourne, Hobart, Wollongong, Byron etc etc because Sydney has irrevocably changed and for the worse. .

TheFrog

Coach
To 'fix' the existing one you'd need to make significant structural changes, particularly at the north and south ends of the ground. I imagine that's the cost basis for a knock-down rebuild given those kinds of changes themselves wouldn't come cheap.
They've got themselves a serious problem then, haven't they, in that a $700m stadium in Moore Park can't possibly pay for itself, and those businesses most likely to benefit don't want to chip in, and nor it seems, do its likely users. And finally, the majority of taxpayers don't want to pay $100 a head to benefit the top end of town and are waiting patiently with baseball bats for the polling booths to open in a few short weeks. No surprise the current govt in its dying days is doing its all to lock the project in.

The new foreign built and rebadged jobbie is not exactly setting sales charts alight (to say the least). Hardly surprising, its uglier than a room full of Gavin Millers. The VN was unassailable No 1 for the entirety of its build.

Unassailable! Haha.

"Even if it proved a popular family car, it was unforgiving in the wrong hands and could activate its own sequence of Darwin’s natural selection in the blink of an eye while its relatively poor crash protection could bring some finality to the process. Its popularity was boosted by a 30-40 per cent price increase of imported rivals after the combination of a newly floated Aussie dollar, tough new Fringe Benefit Tax laws and a combination of tariffs and quotas gave the VN Commodore a free kick at every turn"

Latest posts