What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Diesel

Coach
If labor get it, it’s going to cost the taxpayers of NSW more. Once NSW has to bid for the GF against other cities/states and then on top (re)build a stadium, it won’t be $1.5b

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What exactly do you like about what the State Government have done? To me all they have done is turn Sydney into a developers wet dream, fill the joint with horridly designed and built high and medium density buildings and destroy the nightlife of a once vibrant town whilst piling more traffic and public transport misery on top of misery.
I just bought my "forever" home in Sydney and am still wrangling with the decision. Basically everyone I know, everyone, is heading for the exit to Melbourne, Hobart, Wollongong, Byron etc etc because Sydney has irrevocably changed and for the worse. .

I really dont know what it is about NSW culture, but we easily have the worst of ALL parties (except for the Nats. Those QLDers are crazy)...

I dont know if there is some event in history that made NSW uniquely shitty (Maybe the Bligh rebellion just made everyone hate government and we just kept passing that down).

I really wish i could be patriotic for my state, but we just have a huge gaping asshole where our culture should be...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I really dont know what it is about NSW culture, but we easily have the worst of ALL parties (except for the Nats. Those QLDers are crazy)...

I dont know if there is some event in history that made NSW uniquely shitty (Maybe the Bligh rebellion just made everyone hate government and we just kept passing that down).

I really wish i could be patriotic for my state, but we just have a huge gaping asshole where our culture should be...
I dunno, the Libs in Victoria have done fairly well to be very, very shit

What exactly do you like about what the State Government have done? To me all they have done is turn Sydney into a developers wet dream, fill the joint with horridly designed and built high and medium density buildings and destroy the nightlife of a once vibrant town whilst piling more traffic and public transport misery on top of misery.
I just bought my "forever" home in Sydney and am still wrangling with the decision. Basically everyone I know, everyone, is heading for the exit to Melbourne, Hobart, Wollongong, Byron etc etc because Sydney has irrevocably changed and for the worse. .

Let’s not forget all the assets fire sales

siv

First Grade
Well it aint for bums like me. I'll never go there. It's for the well to do corporate types of the eastern suburbs. Who want someone else to pay for it.

Most of the corporate types are members of SCG/SFS

But it will be interesting to see what a walk up halfway line seat will cost

ANZ already costs $60 to $70 for a NRL club game on the halfway if you walk up

unforgiven

Bench
I like that things are actually happening in this state, infrastructure that was neglected by the previous government is being built. For 16 years Labor didn't do anything in NSW, for the first time in a long time progress is being made.

flippikat

Bench
I hope Auckland does develop a new stadium and Warriors play there, MS always looks quiet a open and soulless place on TV but haven't been yet so might be being a bit harsh?

Mount Smart is in the middle of an industrial zone, out in the suburbs.

Eden Park is out in the suburbs too, but in a residential zone.

The other big venue - Western Springs (speedway, soon to be converted to cricket) is out in the suburbs too, but inner suburbs.. closer to the centre than the other 2.. and in a vast bit of green-belt.

Eden Park and Mt Smart are nowhere near the centre of the city - so they both need a decent bit of travel to get to.. the only difference being that Mount Smart can host concerts as well, as it's not right next to housing. (No NIMBY residents associations poo-pooing loud non-sporting events).

I figure they chose Western Springs for Cricket so to get a separate oval in a big parkland setting, away from too many houses but close enough to the centre.. keep in mind, our cricket crowds are not as consistantly huge as Australian crowds... Western Springs is historically a venue for big rock concerts too.

With the way Auckland is progressing - with more busways being built, and especially a rail link (tunnel) through the inner city, a central city site is imperitive. No noise problems, and easy access by bus or train.

unforgiven

Bench

The other big venue - Western Springs (speedway, soon to be converted to cricket) is out in the suburbs too, but inner suburbs.. closer to the centre than the other 2.. and in a vast bit of green-belt.

Eden Park and Mt Smart are nowhere near the centre of the city - so they both need a decent bit of travel to get to.. the only difference being that Mount Smart can host concerts as well, as it's not right next to housing. (No NIMBY residents associations poo-pooing loud non-sporting events).

I figure they chose Western Springs for Cricket so to get a separate oval in a big parkland setting, away from too many houses but close enough to the centre.. keep in mind, our cricket crowds are not as consistantly huge as Australian crowds... Western Springs is historically a venue for big rock concerts too.

With the way Auckland is progressing - with more busways being built, and especially a rail link (tunnel) through the inner city, a central city site is imperitive. No noise problems, and easy access by bus or train.
Only time I've been to Mt Smart was for a concert, made the mistake of starting to walk as the lineup for taxis was too long.

Vee

First Grade
Went to MS on the bride and my NZ tour (a happy coincidence the Cowboys were playing that day, Vatuvei's debut). Made the Fox sports promotion for the year screaming into the camera as we scored an (unusual, at the time) upset win.

TheRam

Coach
I think Govt's are just realising how important sports tourism can be (tbf Vic Govt has known this for a long time!) and part of that has to be a state of the art stadium within walking distance, or at least a short public transport hop, to an entertainment precinct. Brisbane's got it right, Melbourne's got it right, Perth's got it right, Adelaide's got it right. Hmmm which city isnt on the list yet? I hope Auckland does develop a new stadium and Warriors play there, MS always looks quiet a open and soulless place on TV but haven't been yet so might be being a bit harsh?

And there in lies the answer. You haven't been there yet. And why would that be?

Financial reasons? Maybe. Or is it more because the place looks like a 3rd class dump? Why would anyone from outside the local area or a Warriors fan ever make an effort to go there? It just does not rate a thought really. No one looks at that place and goes, "WOW I really would love to see and experience that."

But if they build a 1st class, top notch(fans close to the action, steep seating) Wharf Stadium, then I dare say, it wouldn't take you over 20 years to visit such a magnetic sporting icon. No I think that most sports lovers that don't mind traveling and holidaying to watch a bit of sport would make a point of putting it on their to do list very quickly and often.

I am the same, when I went to NZ, the nines were on at the time, do you think that I gave to hoots as far as going to the event? No, I watched parts of it on the tele, but overall I focused on other attractions. I would never go to NZ specifically to watch RL. But I have been chomping at the bit to go to Townsville when the new stadium is up and running. Never been and now it gives me a focal point to base my holiday around. Awesome!

Perth Red

Post Whore
And there in lies the answer. You haven't been there yet. And why would that be?

Financial reasons? Maybe. Or is it more because the place looks like a 3rd class dump? Why would anyone from outside the local area or a Warriors fan ever make an effort to go there? It just does not rate a thought really. No one looks at that place and goes, "WOW I really would love to see and experience that."

But if they build a 1st class, top notch(fans close to the action, steep seating) Wharf Stadium, then I dare say, it wouldn't take you over 20 years to visit such a magnetic sporting icon. No I think that most sports lovers that don't mind traveling and holidaying to watch a bit of sport would make a point of putting it on their to do list very quickly and often.

I am the same, when I went to NZ, the nines were on at the time, do you think that I gave to hoots as far as going to the event? No, I watched parts of it on the tele, but overall I focused on other attractions. I would never go to NZ specifically to watch RL. But I have been chomping at the bit to go to Townsville when the new stadium is up and running. Never been and now it gives me a focal point to base my holiday around. Awesome!

True, it isnt a draw for me and I do a fair bit of sports holidays, which it would be if it was a new stadium to experience, having said that I am hoping to go over to see the GB v tonga game just to experience the Tongan fans atmosphere, shame it will be at MS though and not a Suncorp type stadium.

siv

First Grade

What happened to Carlaw Park ?

Diesel

Coach
What happened to Carlaw Park ?
Sold a long time ago. It was run down. It’s now student accomodation, or st least was. In hindsight, would’ve made a pretty good location for an inner city stadium if the ARL had the cash to keep it & maintain it

The metro train system will be city changing. It’s a huge legacy.

Plus, they’ve been less corrupt than the previous government. Small victories :wink:

flippikat

Bench
Sold a long time ago. It was run down. It’s now student accomodation, or st least was. In hindsight, would’ve made a pretty good location for an inner city stadium if the ARL had the cash to keep it & maintain it

It wouldn't have been too bad.. pretty close to Parnell Station (reasonably inner-city), and well enough away from pesky residential zones - may have even been a concert venue too.

I do get the feeling that any replacement for Eden Park will be closer to the inner-city than the old Carlaw site though - the "short walk to downtown" factor cannot be overlooked.. and I think it will weigh heavily in the choice of whatever site from the shortlist.

Latest posts