What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

ouryears

Bench
On the drink?
Not at all, just sick of widdop and his soft as jelly leadership style.
Tell me, where have we ever finished with him leading us.....
Ohhh dang......7th to 10th, or was it 12th....
Says it all,
Just happy we can now chase someone far more ballsy

ouryears

Bench
The off-season just got interesting!
This is good news for Lomax who will be our goalkicker most likely.
And good news for Frizz who will be our captain.
I like it. Now we just need to secure a 5/8. Preferably one that can close a game out and kick a field goal unlike Widdop.
You said it buster
AnD you are right

possm

Coach
Can’t wait till we figure out who we will spend Widdop millions of $$$ on.....hopefully a player with a far more winning and mean ass attitude......and tougher balls.

He will be a member of our spine, most probably a fullback.
He most most recently played for the Sharks.
He is going nowhere in the NFL.
He will recruited on the salary cap vacated by Widdop at the end of 2019.
Guess who ……………..

Last edited:

dragon thomo

Juniors
I am also not a fan of Widdop as Captain as he goes into his shell when it is not going our way. I would have James Graham as Captain for this year and then posibly look at Tariq Simms for next year.

71saintsimon

Juniors
Widdop is suffering from what Trent Barrett suffered at this place over a decade and a half ago barrett was placed with enormous responsibility as the captain under the worst possible coach at the time Nathan brown and it’s the same situation with Widdop as captain under McGregor this club just doesn’t get it u can’t bring up water boys to coach the first grade team and bar Bennett and David Waite every other Coach since 1999 has been a ex water boy

ViceVersa

Juniors
Gareth Widdop quits St George Illawarra Dragons in Super League move
JANUARY 14, 2019

St George Illawarra skipper Gareth Widdop will quit the Dragons after agreeing to a move to return to England.

The English international will walk away from the final two years of his contract to join Warrington Wolves in 2020.

St George Illawarra are expected to announce the move as early as Wednesday with Widdop to take a pay cut to return to England.

Dragons officials were stunned when Widdop requested an early move from his contract, which is worth about $1.8 million. The two parties have been in contact since before Christmas.

While Widdop, who has played 24 Tests for England, has reaffirmed his commitment to the club for this year, he made it clear he wanted out having harbouring a long-term desire to play in the English Super League while still at the height of his career.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt St George Illawarra will retain first rights on Widdop’s services should the 29-year-old opt to return to Australia.

“There’s no secret I have aspirations of going over to the UK and playing,” Widdop said in November. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I have a good relationship with the club and so when the time is right we’ll work together.”

Wigan, Leeds, Huddersfield and St Helens all tried to sign Widdop but it was former coach Steve Price who secured Widdop’s signature for a second time. Price signed Widdop from Melbourne to the Dragons in 2014 but the partnership was short-lived after Price was axed midway through Widdop’s first season. Price since took over from Warrington and led them to a grand final in his first season last year.

Widdop will form a halves combination with Blake Austin after the former Raider joined Warrington this year.

Widdop emigrated to Australia from Halifax as a teen.

The Dragons have already planned for life post-Widdop having signed Corey Norman. Norman’s arrival is expected to shift Widdop to play fullback for the first time on a regular basis in the NRL.

Widdop’s departure will also keep the door ajar for local product Matt Dufty to remain at the club. Despite being just one of five players to feature in all Dragons 26 games last year, the arrival of Norman and Widdop’s switch to fullback is set to see the off-contract Dufty have a reduced role this year.

Widdop has played 185 NRL games since making his debut for Melbourne in 2010.

https://outline.com/CnGMzM

Old Timer

Coach
Contracts mean nothing. The captain of a team breaks a contract to suit himself. If they don't drop him as captain this year and instate a new one then they are a bunch of spineless tools.
FMD people have been posting for years how spineless the club is and you pick this event to take a stance?
What about Price, Mc Fookknuckle, the Nightingale scenario, the Benji scenario, the piss poor results scenario, the journeymen, the plodders, the lack iof a pathway, the nobody gets dropped scenario?
You should have been on board years ago.

watatank

Coach
Widdop to depart Dragons at end of 2019 season

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Gareth Widdop has requested and will be granted a release from his playing contract on compassionate grounds at the completion of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

A desire to return home to England and play in the Super League, as well as to be closer to his grandparents who he has long been away from, all led to him requesting a release to join the Warrington Wolves for the 2020 season and beyond.

The club have released Widdop under the condition that if he were to return to the NRL then it can only be to the Dragons.

The England international arrived at the Red V in 2014 and has played 115 NRL games with the club to date. Widdop is on track to become the club's highest pointscorer in 2019.

The 29-year-old veteran thanked the Dragons for working through his request with the utmost professionalism.

"I've made a big decision in my career having decided to move back to England next year," Widdop said.

"It certainly hasn't been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now.

"The Dragons have played a big part in my career. I've been here a long time now and to get to where we have with the roster we've got, to leave it all behind especially being the captain will be difficult.

"This situation has been handled in the most professional way possible. I worked really closely with the club who have been great. We worked towards getting the best outcome and I thank the Dragons for that.

"I still have the 2019 season to come. The reason we play this game is to win premierships. We have the squad to win it this year and I'll be doing everything possible to achieve that."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/16/widdop-to-depart-dragons-at-end-of-2019/