What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop seeks release

Drag Queen

Bench
Widdop to depart Dragons at end of 2019 season
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 16 Jan 2019, 04:54 AM

St George Illawarra Dragons captain Gareth Widdop has requested and will be granted a release from his playing contract on compassionate grounds at the completion of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

A desire to return home to England and play in the Super League, as well as to be closer to his grandparents who he has long been away from, all led to him requesting a release to join the Warrington Wolves for the 2020 season and beyond.

The club have released Widdop under the condition that if he were to return to the NRL then it can only be to the Dragons.

The England international arrived at the Red V in 2014 and has played 115 NRL games with the club to date. Widdop is on track to become the club's highest pointscorer in 2019.

The 29-year-old veteran thanked the Dragons for working through his request with the utmost professionalism.

"I've made a big decision in my career having decided to move back to England next year," Widdop said.

"It certainly hasn't been the easiest decision but sometimes in life we have aspirations and playing in the Super League has been one of mine for a while now.

"The Dragons have played a big part in my career. I've been here a long time now and to get to where we have with the roster we've got, to leave it all behind especially being the captain will be difficult.

"This situation has been handled in the most professional way possible. I worked really closely with the club who have been great. We worked towards getting the best outcome and I thank the Dragons for that.

"I still have the 2019 season to come. The reason we play this game is to win premierships. We have the squad to win it this year and I'll be doing everything possible to achieve that."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/01/16/widdop-to-depart-dragons-at-end-of-2019/

Drag Queen

Bench
Yet another player who’s sick of McGregor: Morris, Merrin, Bird, Dugan and now Widdop.

What an unmitigated disaster he’s been for the club.

Ironically, Widdop will now play under Steve Price next season.
The irony is killing me. I don't miss the Bird drama though. Who would want his raging father on social media every second day. Nah.

Drag Queen

Bench
I have a fairly easy question. Who are the mods in this unit that have my email name? You keep putting me on repeat. Try doing that to #ouryears. Thank you.

Drag Queen

Bench
Yet another player who’s sick of McGregor: Morris, Merrin, Bird, Dugan and now Widdop.

What an unmitigated disaster he’s been for the club.

Ironically, Widdop will now play under Steve Price next season.
The irony is killing me. I don't miss the Bird drama though. Who would want his raging father on social media every second day. Nah.

BLM01

First Grade
Surprise Surprise we did not see that coming after the debacle of the internal leak a couple of months back. I suppose what we will never know was his manager (on behalf of his client) hoping for an immediate release for this year...only to be kyboshed by the club. I have a gut feel he would of if allowed before the media circus, frenzy and cloak and dagger public press conferences.
Moving right along. What I dont get.
Widdop will be turning 33 if he comes back to the NRL after his ESL stint before the season kicks off in 2022. Why would St George in its narrow mindness put a condition on him that he comes back to our club only if returning to the NRL. Will we need him that much?...

Cant we just move on and focus on getting the best team possible each year and let him go to the best offer available or suitable club roster when and if he returns. He will be getting too old to be an impact in the backs so why apply those chains. Even if he quits and gets Aussie homesick after 6 months and wants to come back again on COMPASSIONATE grounds from over there our rosters should be set and future planning without him.
Stupid childish foresight..but have become used to it.
When will our board and admin learn that most NRL players these days dont hold our St George / Illawarra brand or any club jersey in as high esteem and loyalty as they and serving passionate fans do.

watatank

Coach
I don't ever say this.. but I kinda agree with Crush. It doesn't speak well of a club's culture when the captain walks out mid-contract. Being captain of this club is more than just a (c) next to your name, saying a few words in the huddle, and a bit of extra media work. It's even more than an honour or privilege. It is membership of a pantheon. It extends back from Ben Hornby to Provan to Kearney to Herb Gilbert. The only way Widdop is redeemed in my eyes is if his shoulder is screwed and he knows he won't give the club value. Time will tell.

Not the first time it has happened. Barrett left to go to Wigan and while that was a long time ago, it's still too many times. I'd be interested to see how often it happens because I can't think of any examples of this happening.

Drag Queen

Bench
Surprise Surprise we did not see that coming after the debacle of the internal leak a couple of months back. I suppose what we will ever know was his manager (on behalf of his client) hoping for an immediate release for this year...only to be kyboshed by the club. I have a gut feel he would of if allowed before the media circus, frenzy and cloak and dagger public press conferences.
Moving right along. What I dont get.
Widdop will be turning 33 if he comes back to the NRL after his ESL stint before the season kicks off in 2022. Why would St George in its narrow mindness put a condition on him that he comes back to our club only if returning to the NRL. Will we need him that much?...

Cant we just move on and focus on getting the best team possible each year and let him go to the best offer available or suitable club roster when and if he returns. He will be getting too old to be an impact in the backs so why apply those chains. Even if he quits and gets Aussie homesick after 6 months and wants to come back again on COMPASSIONATE grounds from over there our rosters should be set and future planning without him.
Stupid childish foresight..but have become used to it.
When will our board and admin learn that most NRL players these days dont hold our St George / Illawarra brand or any club jersey in as high esteem and loyalty as they and serving passionate fans do.
And Cameron Smith is currently 35 and signed for another couple of years? Did you drink turps this morning?

BLM01

First Grade
I like that part of the agreement is that he can't return to play to the NRL unless it's for us. Has been a wonderful servant of ours but 2019 will see if he is etched in Dragons history.
Yes has been a wonderful servant after 2019 and all that will be past tense. Why at 33 put that restriction on him and force our club to pay money for an ageing player who may not fit in to the roster or new coach's plans.

grouch

First Grade
Not the first time it has happened. Barrett left to go to Wigan and while that was a long time ago, it's still too many times. I'd be interested to see how often it happens because I can't think of any examples of this happening.

True. Barrett was off contract though. Potentially the other example could be Mark Gasnier but that was also vastly different circumstances

rednwhites

Juniors
Yes has been a wonderful servant after 2019 and all that will be past tense. Why at 33 put that restriction on him and force our club to pay money for an ageing player who may not fit in to the roster or new coach's plans.

I would think it was more an option in our favour, or if say he were to get part way through his Wolves contract and then seek a return to the NRL. Unlikely, but smart to cover bases. I'd say at his age and family situation he probably won't ever come back to the NRL in any case.

BLM01

First Grade
And Cameron Smith is currently 35 and signed for another couple of years? Did you drink turps this morning?
Talk about juv...nah...no point
But I could say the same to you comparing Cam Smith to Widdop and their individual influence on their club, the game, coach and other players. And besides the coach of Melb obviously wants him and he is still highly influential on winning them games.
Here is a better tip, how about anyone judge Widdop at the end of 2021 / beginning of 2022 before welcoming him back with or in the Dragons case forcing him back.

watatank

Coach
True. Barrett was off contract though. Potentially the other example could be Mark Gasnier but that was also vastly different circumstances

I thought Barrett exercised a get out clause to sign with Wigan. At least, that's what my memory was of it (and also what Wikipedia says).

Gasnier did leave while captain but as you say, different circumstances. Plus he came back.

BLM01

First Grade
I would think it was more an option in our favour, or if say he were to get part way through his Wolves contract and then seek a return to the NRL. Unlikely, but smart to cover bases. I'd say at his age and family situation he probably won't ever come back to the NRL in any case.
What you say is correct and our foresight planning has to be without him. You dont budget for a player or withhold space you dont need. So why even put that condition in. You put pressure and awkwardness on both parties if at any given time in the future he rings up and says I am coming back and the answer is...Oh sorry Gareth...we dont need you. Decide all that when and if he is ready to come home. Let him go and do what he wants in the future without restrictions.
And that sort of condition worked a treat with the EELS and Hayne went he went to NFL and supposedly had to return to the EELS first.

BLM01

First Grade
I thought Barrett exercised a get out clause to sign with Wigan. At least, that's what my memory was of it (and also what Wikipedia says).

Gasnier did leave while captain but as you say, different circumstances. Plus he came back.
Came back for a few months at the age of 28..got a premership ring and then signed a big contract again only to pull the pin again soon after. We lost some good players because of a salary we offered to Gas in 2011 and beyond, more so the heavily back ended contract he would of got in later years with a lot of 3rd party agreements.

DragonJ

Juniors
No, no, no. Release him now. Immediately! The Widdop era has probably been the least successful 5 years in the history of the club. We need fast outside backs.

Latest posts