What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter Beatte NRL 360 - expansion

The Great Dane

First Grade
So he was basically admitting he was a sht leader of the game, hmmm. He wasn’t the first and won’t be the last to realise that in order to grow the sport with a different footprint you need to reduce the Sydney mouths at the table. Even today the commission have decided that clubs can die if they get into strife rather than the nrl save them, I secretly suspect they are desperately hoping one or two Sydney clubs do. Sydney rationalisation has been happening since the game started down the road of moving from a Sydney Comp to a national comp, it isnt over yet I suspect, wether you like it or not stallion.

Even before then with Uni being cut and the smaller suburban clubs of Annandale and Glebe being cut to make room for clubs in bigger growth areas to come in.

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
Lol. A share of no relevance is a share of nothing! You don't get it do you!?

Which is exactly what the people of Perth, Adelaide, NZ, Brisbane, and all the other expansion markets have... Cause none of those markets share any relevance with the Sydney clubs...

You seem to think losing longstanding clubs and their identity doesn't hurt a marketplace?

I don't think that at all!

It definitely hurts the market in the old clubs area, but given time the market heals. But that doesn't matter anyway as in words you'll hopefully understand I don't support the removal of clubs from the market!

I don't even support the relocation of clubs to new markets!

Stallion

First Grade
Which is exactly what the people of Perth, Adelaide, NZ, Brisbane, and all the other expansion markets have... Cause none of those markets share any relevance with the Sydney clubs...

I don't think that at all!

It definitely hurts the market in the old clubs area, but given time the market heals. But that doesn't matter anyway as in words you'll hopefully understand I don't support the removal of clubs from the market!

I don't even support the relocation of clubs to new markets!

You seem to think that it hurts the market in that particular area only? News for you Great Dane: It hurts the market all over Australia. These clubs in Sydney harness widespread interest and popularity. You think this (fan loyalty)just stays when a clubs identity is gone!? For example: Bears fans live in Newcastle and do not follow the game anywhere near as much as when the Bears were top flight. People travel and move and also follow teams through tv. It's more than just the local area that gets impacted! Pleeease show some common sense!

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
So he was basically admitting he was a sht leader of the game, hmmm. He wasn’t the first and won’t be the last to realise that in order to grow the sport with a different footprint you need to reduce the Sydney mouths at the table. Even today the commission have decided that clubs can die if they get into strife rather than the nrl save them, I secretly suspect they are desperately hoping one or two Sydney clubs do. Sydney rationalisation has been happening since the game started down the road of moving from a Sydney Comp to a national comp, it isnt over yet I suspect, wether you like it or not stallion.

I think the theme of "incompetent" can be attributed to more than just Arko! Your continued attack on established rugby league clubs in the world's most popular rugby league competition emits an incompetence unrivaled by Arko. Hindsight doesn't affect your pathetic ignorant stance. At least Arko had the gumption to admit to a big mistake! PR : you don't !

Stallion

First Grade
Even before then with Uni being cut and the smaller suburban clubs of Annandale and Glebe being cut to make room for clubs in bigger growth areas to come in.

I see the obstropolous comments continue! Totally different scenarios. The impact of television and the widespread notoriety of the Sydney clubs as a result of this exposure should not be ignored! It's a game changer. Clubs now(70s onwards) can be followed from afar unlike the days of when University & Glebe was running around. Very different scenarios but consistently ignored by some! Sadly this important fact gets repeated and repeated and still doesn't compute for some!

tri_colours

Juniors
The four new clubs hadn
Nope all of them were going broke pre-SL, even the ones that hadn't yet kicked a ball in anger.

In fact SL saved almost all the ones that are still around today...

Actually it's the reverse... They were punished so harshly for 'cheating' the cap that it almost bankrupted them (despite everybody involved agreeing that in fact they weren't actively attempting to cheat they just misunderstood the new rules, and they weren't the only ones, they were just the only ones with enough rep bonuses to pay to send them over the cap).

After that they literally couldn't afford to cheat the cap in any significant way until the mid 2000s...

Nope all of them were going broke pre-SL, even the ones that hadn't yet kicked a ball in anger.

Actually it's the reverse... They were punished so harshly for 'cheating' the cap that it almost bankrupted them (despite everybody involved agreeing that in fact they weren't actively attempting to cheat they just misunderstood the new rules, and they weren't the only ones, they were just the only ones with enough rep bonuses to pay to send them over the cap).

After that they literally couldn't afford to cheat the cap in any significant way until the mid 2000s...

tri_colours

Juniors

The fact fly directly in the face of what your saying

None of the four new clubs invited into the competition had even played a game . So how exactly were they in financial trouble

The cap worked so clubs couldn’t spent more than they earnt. Maybe not the ideal situation but it stopped clubs from going broke (with the exception of clubs that cheated the cap)

It was part of Murdoch's strategy to send player payments and other costs to levels the NRL and its clubs could not compete with.

Canberra must of been slow learners. After cheating the cap the first time – only to be helped out by the ARL - They were then well on the way to doing the same thing again.

NB Uni was never cut . Only a small point but one you need to be aware of.

And any club placement/movent that occurred in the early years of Rugby League is and was designed at making our base/ very fabric of our game stronger. So when opportunities, like the ones currently come round. We are in the best possible position to take advantage.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
You seem to think that it hurts the market in that particular area only? News for you Great Dane: It hurts the market all over Australia. These clubs in Sydney harness widespread interest and popularity. You think this (fan loyalty)just stays when a clubs identity is gone!? For example: Bears fans live in Newcastle and do not follow the game anywhere near as much as when the Bears were top flight. People travel and move and also follow teams through tv. It's more than just the local area that gets impacted! Pleeease show some common sense!

Most of these clubs have got less than 20k members. We are hardly talking Manchester utd level of interest stallion! If only half of those bears fansin Newcastle eventually became knights fans, and their kids now, that is a great result for the health of the knights. Too much dilution of fanbase means everyone goes thirsty.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

I think you are over exaggerating the effects that individual Sydney teams have across Australia. They only have the relevance they have because the competition is somewhat national.

If in some hypothetical world the nrl was split into a 10 team Sydney conference with your beloved bears and a national conference. Each conference would sell there own tv rights to the highest bidder and the clubs within reap the financial benefits. The Sydney conference would only be shown in nsw because vic, wa and definitely qld doesn’t give a shit about Sydney. How long do you actually think it would take for the Sydney teams to go bust or be swallowed up?

The world is a lot bigger than just Sydney!

I’m not against a bears team being introduced at some point but in no way should they be introduced before a WA team, Brisbane2, png team, nz2, Adelaide team.

Stallion

First Grade
Most of these clubs have got less than 20k members. We are hardly talking Manchester utd level of interest stallion! If only half of those bears fansin Newcastle eventually became knights fans, and their kids now, that is a great result for the health of the knights. Too much dilution of fanbase means everyone goes thirsty.

As stated previously members are not the only people that fit the fan description! You seem to be completely obssessed with memberships whereby I'm reality fans are just as meaningful as ones like myself whom support a club in a different way. You just cannot acknowledge this very important and valid part of club support! The fan that is not a member. Plenty of these people exist yet you discount their relevance and importance. They buy merchandise and talk about their team just as much as anyone else (including members).Your insular regard for "what a fan is "shows your lack of depth and understanding of community relevance and its worth in rugby league. Astonishing but we continue on!

Stallion

First Grade
I think you are over exaggerating the effects that individual Sydney teams have across Australia. They only have the relevance they have because the competition is somewhat national.

If in some hypothetical world the nrl was split into a 10 team Sydney conference with your beloved bears and a national conference. Each conference would sell there own tv rights to the highest bidder and the clubs within reap the financial benefits. The Sydney conference would only be shown in nsw because vic, wa and definitely qld doesn’t give a shit about Sydney. How long do you actually think it would take for the Sydney teams to go bust or be swallowed up?

The world is a lot bigger than just Sydney!

I’m not against a bears team being introduced at some point but in no way should they be introduced before a WA team, Brisbane2, png team, nz2, Adelaide team.

Beg to differ. The tv exposure has gained fans from outside of a given area. I know plenty of people in Melbourne that fOllie a Sydney rugby league team! Quite notably South Sydney (due to their defiance and fight to regain what they had lost!) So their is no exaggeration. The support is widespread and its because of television and other media that this is a reality.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
As stated previously members are not the only people that fit the fan description! You seem to be completely obssessed with memberships whereby I'm reality fans are just as meaningful as ones like myself whom support a club in a different way. You just cannot acknowledge this very important and valid part of club support! The fan that is not a member. Plenty of these people exist yet you discount their relevance and importance. They buy merchandise and talk about their team just as much as anyone else (including members).Your insular regard for "what a fan is "shows your lack of depth and understanding of community relevance and its worth in rugby league. Astonishing but we continue on!

You have just proved part of rugby leagues problem. A fan SHOULD be a person who is a paying member of a club or team. Not someone who just talks about it and doesn’t actually support (financially) any particular club. Again I believe youre exaggerating the number of people that buy merchandise and don’t become members.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Beg to differ. The tv exposure has gained fans from outside of a given area. I know plenty of people in Melbourne that fOllie a Sydney rugby league team! Quite notably South Sydney (due to their defiance and fight to regain what they had lost!) So their is no exaggeration. The support is widespread and its because of television and other media that this is a reality.

Do you honestly think that a Sydney club competition would gain more traction in Perth? In Brisbane? Without teams from those locations?

Stallion

First Grade
You have just proved part of rugby leagues problem. A fan SHOULD be a person who is a paying member of a club or team. Not someone who just talks about it and doesn’t actually support (financially) any particular club. Again I believe youre exaggerating the number of people that buy merchandise and don’t become members.

I was a member and am not due to the draw not being user friendly for attending games. Yet I still follow my team (Easts) and buy items like beach towels, watches, linen , number plates etc. That's one example.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

Im amazed at the amount of people you know around the country. You must be one of those people that count the tv ratings figures for the afl? 5 people equals 500,000.

Stallion

First Grade
Im amazed at the amount of people you know around the country. You must be one of those people that count the tv ratings figures for the afl? 5 people equals 500,000.

Take my word for it . I'm one of many that follow a rugby league team without being a member. If you can't see that this is a reality? That's your issue not mine!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I was a member and am not due to the draw not being user friendly for attending games. Yet I still follow my team (Easts) and buy items like beach towels, watches, linen , number plates etc. That's one example.

The draw is that unfriendly that you can’t make it to 1 of the 12ish roosters games? Roosters have a 1 game membership that get you 1 ga ticket and membership benefits for $65 or $6.50 per month.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Take my word for it . I'm one of many that follow a rugby league team without being a member. If you can't see that this is a reality? That's your issue not mine!

Haha take your word for it.

I never said there weren’t people out there that purchase or more likely receive Xmas or birthday presents with club logos and aren’t members. However I believe those numbers aren’t as profound as you want everyone to believe.

Your perception of things dont always mean that you are in the majority. And just because you say it, it doesn’t mean it’s correct

Stallion

First Grade
The draw is that unfriendly that you can’t make it to 1 of the 12ish roosters games? Roosters have a 1 game membership that get you 1 ga ticket and membership benefits for $65 or $6.50 per month.

Different circumstances for different people. Some people have family commitments on alternate weeks. Some people live outside of Sydney. Some people have various work commitments as well. So yes the draw is very important and does matter to a person. For myself I would require a decent amount of Saturday games to make a choice that works given my scenario. It matters!

Stallion

First Grade
Haha take your word for it.

I never said there weren’t people out there that purchase or more likely receive Xmas or birthday presents with club logos and aren’t members. However I believe those numbers aren’t as profound as you want everyone to believe.

Your perception of things dont always mean that you are in the majority. And just because you say it, it doesn’t mean it’s correct

I suggest that my "hunch" is on the money! You don't. We differ.