What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

roughyedspud

Coach
Domestically Ireland have got their act together in recent years and Scotland drew with your showers of shit not long ago..and domestically they'll be fully incorporated into the English system in the next few years..

Establishing a new,pro,sport in Scotland is incredibly difficult...they've been playing RU in Scotland for 140 years...and only have 2 pro teams and both of them are owned by the Scottish RU...

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I certainly hope so!

Has the Scotland and Ireland (exclude Wales as RL has had a presence for years) experiment been a success? I think not.

If we’re saying Tonga were a World Cup success it’s hard to argue that Ireland weren’t.

playdaball

Bench
Domestically Ireland have got their act together in recent years and Scotland drew with your showers of shit not long ago..and domestically they'll be fully incorporated into the English system in the next few years..

Establishing a new,pro,sport in Scotland is incredibly difficult...they've been playing RU in Scotland for 140 years...and only have 2 pro teams and both of them are owned by the Scottish RU...

Agree with you about the NZ team ... they were so bad then.
What does domestically Ireland have got their act together mean? How many teams do they have now and in what grades?
If it’s so hard to get sport established in Scotland why not invest money and resources else where?

Springs09

Juniors
Agree with you about the NZ team ... they were so bad then.
What does domestically Ireland have got their act together mean? How many teams do they have now and in what grades?
If it’s so hard to get sport established in Scotland why not invest money and resources else where?

Who do you think invests the money and resources?

The majority of people trying to get the sport going in Scotland are from or live in Scotland.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
October is the wrong time, it needs to be in February. Hopefully we can see this expand to 32 teams, all countries with a domestic scene should be invited, which means Scotland shouldn’t be invited. It could really give these smaller countries motivation if good money is on the line.

Perth Red

Post Whore
October is the wrong time, it needs to be in February. Hopefully we can see this expand to 32 teams, all countries with a domestic scene should be invited, which means Scotland shouldn’t be invited. It could really give these smaller countries motivation if good money is on the line.

That would just see nrl clubs whinging and its quick demise like the nrl nines. At least this way it sits in the legit international season and makes it more than just a pre season friendly Comp

What we need now is some really big sponsors to give it financial credibility

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It'll be the top 12 RLIF ranked teams..

So,after moment,that's

Australia
Nz
England
Tonga
Fiji
Samoa
Scotland
France
Lebanon
PNG
Ireland
Wales..

So no USA,Canada,Jamaica,Serbia,Russia,cooks, south Africa etc..

We should have atleast gone to 16 teams to mirror the RLWC
It's nines, they could've gone to 24 teams. This setup doesn't help the game.

I want to see USA, Canada, Jamaica, Serbia, South Africa, Germany, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Philippines, Cook Islands etc all in this thing.

Then it'd be totally useful and serve a decent purpose.

The current format achieves little.

Pommy

Coach
It's nines, they could've gone to 24 teams. This setup doesn't help the game.

I want to see USA, Canada, Jamaica, Serbia, South Africa, Germany, Greece, Italy, Turkey, Philippines, Cook Islands etc all in this thing.

Then it'd be totally useful and serve a decent purpose.

The current format achieves little.

I have to agree, I’m not that excited by it. I may go but I’m not sure I’m going to get a weekend pass for this and to go to to watch the lions.
The only thing this could achieve is for Australia to possibly not win it. But thats not really a good enough legacy.

Springs09

Juniors
I have to agree, I’m not that excited by it. I may go but I’m not sure I’m going to get a weekend pass for this and to go to to watch the lions.
The only thing this could achieve is for Australia to possibly not win it. But thats not really a good enough legacy.

I'm planning to go, despite the small amount of teams it still should be a fun weekend, but more than that it's likely the only international league we'll get in Australia until 2023.

There should have been at least 16 men's teams and 8 women's teams. They aren't even playing on Sunday. The NRL 9s have 4x4 pools, you'd think common sense would have them use the same format for the World 9s.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
I'm planning to go, despite the small amount of teams it still should be a fun weekend, but more than that it's likely the only international league we'll get in Australia until 2023.

There should have been at least 16 men's teams and 8 women's teams. They aren't even playing on Sunday. The NRL 9s have 4x4 pools, you'd think common sense would have them use the same format for the World 9s.
Not playing on the Sunday is completely bizarre … but as always, TV determines game times …

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ideally it would be on FTA, but we dont live in an ideal world and it isnt, so on to the competition. Who do we think will be playing in it? Is that top 12 decision confirmed? Massive wasted opportunity if true. Id have gone with

16 team comp

Australia
NZ
England
Wales
Scotland
Ireland
France
USA
Jamaica
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga
PNG
Lebanon
+ two of; Canada, Russia, Chile, Cook Islands, Sth Africa, Spain, Italy (teams in 2021 RLWC qualifiers)

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I'd love to claim League had a mainstream Sevens event before Union, the reality is that's not true.

The Hong Kong Sevens started in 1976, our World Sevens started in 1988 and whilst the NSWRL did run sevens events before 88', Union, especially in Scotland has had tournaments since the late 1800s.

Maybe if we had stuck with the concept, we could have owned the 'sevens' brand as the Sydney Sevens was quite popular and in the mid-90s we were expanding rapidly as a sport, but we forfeited that opportunity.

Nines is our best bet at the moment for an abbreviated version and for us to try and get into events like the Commonwealth Games, etc.
A shortened version of Rugby League was first played in Australia in 1915. While it was still 13 a-side, games had 15 min halves.

http://andrewrlp.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-1915-patriotic-carnival-2018.html

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
As much as I'd love to claim League had a mainstream Sevens event before Union, the reality is that's not true.

The Hong Kong Sevens started in 1976, our World Sevens started in 1988 and whilst the NSWRL did run sevens events before 88', Union, especially in Scotland has had tournaments since the late 1800s.

Maybe if we had stuck with the concept, we could have owned the 'sevens' brand as the Sydney Sevens was quite popular and in the mid-90s we were expanding rapidly as a sport, but we forfeited that opportunity.

Nines is our best bet at the moment for an abbreviated version and for us to try and get into events like the Commonwealth Games, etc

Touch Football is the other....

RL should align with as many national Touch organisations as possible, get it into the ComGames/Olympics and plant a few RL players in there.

Maybe some aligned branding would be good too. If it DOES get into the Olympics, it would be the biggest global advert for RL in our history (but only if people can tell the difference between League and Union...)

Stallion

First Grade
Touch Football is the other....

RL should align with as many national Touch organisations as possible, get it into the ComGames/Olympics and plant a few RL players in there.

Maybe some aligned branding would be good too. If it DOES get into the Olympics, it would be the biggest global advert for RL in our history (but only if people can tell the difference between League and Union...)

Throw in original touchfooty rules such as the play the ball with the foot and that makes good sense. Otherwise the tag version (be it Oztag or leaguetag ) would be very good.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Watching Sl games this weekend the notion of playing the ball with your foot seems to have gone out the window! They must be inspired by touch footy!

Dakink

Bench
Watching Sl games this weekend the notion of playing the ball with your foot seems to have gone out the window! They must be inspired by touch footy!

Frustrating isnt it. I know its only a small thing but the crackdown on playing the ball with the foot is one t hi ing the nrl got right.