What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

the crooked Barr would make it multipurpose so his beloved GWS can play three games a year there

maybe
but i think that manuka is a good venue for afl ofor the games they get.
also, if we start getting test cricket semi regularly then likely there will be federal money for upgrades there

its a great cricket ground pitch aside.

the other issue for me, is they wanted to put the city stadium where the pool is currently.
i believe a better spot would be to build it it at turner parkland, rugby league park or ...on the ANU campus

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
So the original plan was a stadium in the city but that's basically on the permanent backburner post the asbestos thing.
but then theres money for manuka and to pay the giants to play here.
the govt did put money toward the raiders hq, but its small amounts

one could argue, that they don't want to commit to anything big. so small amounts here and there are affordable.
the greatest asset to the raiders and brumbies atm is the a league bid. which wilst it didn't get up a few months back there are rumblings that act has the inside track on the next team and it could be at the expense of the phoenix

if theres third tenant, they have to really consider it particularly if theres a league, w league, Socceroo potential aswell.

Good news if true about the A-League team. Hopefully as TBoon has suggested, the NRL can grant a license to Canberra to play in the NRLW comp as it may tip the issue in favour of the rectangular sports.

Although, it is rediculous and highlights your point about Barr that an NRL, NRLW, SuperRugby and A-League team are needed to counter half an AFL team.

I wish that the ARU, ARLC and FFA would get together and form a coordinated stadia alliance / committee to push the case to Governments around the country for rectangular stadia and counter the AFL political corruption. The committee can have a representative from each body and entice rectangular stadia to be built / upgraded using the Wallabies, Socceroos, Kangaroos, NRL Grand Final, SOO, NRL matches, SR matches and potential NRL / SR / A-League expansion as a collective carrot.

If a politician like Barr shows open favouritism like he is to AFL, then these sports need to collectively avoid Canberra for any event games or expansion consideration until there is a suitable upgrade.

Yes, it sounds a little childish but so does AFL revoking media accreditation when comments are unfavourable. If we want to compete, then we've got to compete.

Good news if true about the A-League team. Hopefully as TBoon has suggested, the NRL can grant a license to Canberra to play in the NRLW comp as it may tip the issue in favour of the rectangular sports.

Although, it is rediculous and highlights your point about Barr that an NRL, NRLW, SuperRugby and A-League team are needed to counter half an AFL team.

I wish that the ARU, ARLC and FFA would get together and form a coordinated stadia alliance / committee to push the case to Governments around the country for rectangular stadia and counter the AFL political corruption. The committee can have a representative from each body and entice rectangular stadia to be built / upgraded using the Wallabies, Socceroos, Kangaroos, NRL Grand Final, SOO, NRL matches, SR matches and potential NRL / SR / A-League expansion as a collective carrot.

If a politician like Barr shows open favouritism like he is to AFL, then these sports need to collectively avoid Canberra for any event games or expansion consideration until there is a suitable upgrade.

Yes, it sounds a little childish but so does AFL revoking media accreditation when comments are unfavourable. If we want to compete, then we've got to compete.

so when southern expansion was happening (it died in the arse)
the NRL, Sharks, Dragons ..they all should have got together with the FFA, the Chinese bid..to discuss the building of the stadium.

i bet they didn't.

dude its not even half.no one gives a crap about the gnats,

El Diablo

Post Whore
maybe
but i think that manuka is a good venue for afl ofor the games they get.
also, if we start getting test cricket semi regularly then likely there will be federal money for upgrades there

its a great cricket ground pitch aside.

the other issue for me, is they wanted to put the city stadium where the pool is currently.
i believe a better spot would be to build it it at turner parkland, rugby league park or ...on the ANU campus
well it won't be getting a test for a while

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/0d655343a208ab20385588b62a14f4fe

Cricket: Summer cut to five Tests

Canberra won’t be getting another Test next year — or any year in the foreseeable future — because a Test has been lopped off the summer calendar.

While the nation toasts its capital’s fine debut this week, cricket is farewelling its familiar six-Test summer because cricket’s custodians are winding back Test cricket to give it more “context”.

Less is more, as the administrators say the new pared-back Test championship will make the long format more relevant with fans.

So next year, for the first time in more than a decade, a non-Ashes summer will feature only five Tests. (There were four Tests in 2014-15 to allow time to host the 2015 World Cup.)

After opening the season with three T20s against Sri Lanka, the Australians will play two Tests against Pakistan and three against New Zealand, with more T20s and ODIs sprinkled through the summer. That’s the new normal — five-Test summers are locked in all the way to 2022-23.

That’s bad news for Canberra after it made such a success of its Test debut this week.

It’s also not good for Hobart and perhaps Brisbane as well.

Rather than excising T20 internationals — there are six next season — the administrators have jettisoned one Test a season.

When the long-term schedule was released in June last year, the ICC said trimming Tests would help bring “context and meaning to bilateral cricket” via the new Test championship.

“The Test series league will see nine teams play six series over two years — three home and three away — with each having a minimum of two Tests and a maximum of five and all matches being played over five days culminating in a World Test League Championship Final,” the ICC said.

This winter’s Ashes are the first Tests to count towards the championship. Cricket Australia not only endorsed the change, it embraced the decision to scale back the Test program.

“It is with great enthusiasm that Cricket Australia endorses the new World Test Championship,” former chief executive James Sutherland said at the time.

“Together with other member countries we are confident that this will grow interest in the international game — and our team is very much looking forward to launching the World Test Championship with our 2019 Ashes series in England.”

When the diminution of Test cricket was announced last June, it was missed by many whose attention was on matters football.

But the decision is hitting home now Canberra has hosted its successful maiden Test.

Any thought that Canberra could build on this week’s very well received event has run head on into the scaled-back program.

Cricket ACT chief executive James Allsopp understands that the bigger picture precludes Canberra from becoming a regular Test venue.

“We’re really confident that we’ll be having a lot more international cricket here in the coming years,” Allsopp told The Australian yesterday, but he admitted another Test was “unlikely in the next four years”.

Allsopp was basking in a post-Test glow after Manuka Oval received rave reviews for its tree-ringed setting, its facilities and especially its pitch.

“We’re really proud of head groundsman Brad van Dam and all the ground staff,” Allsopp said.

“We knew we only had one crack at this and we knew we had to do it well.

“We couldn’t be happier. The script couldn’t be any more perfect. We’d love another Test next year but we understand the reality of the schedule.

“But we’re very keen to host Test matches in the future when the schedule allows.”

Until then, Manuka is expected to be allocated women’s internationals, BBL matches and the occasional ODI.

Allsopp said talks with Cricket Australia and the ACT government were progressing well as the parties looked to strike a new four-year international fixtures agreement for the venue.

Canberra had appeared a good fit for the one-off Afghanistan Test in November 2020, but that might now instead go to Test-starved Hobart.

Tasmania hasn’t had a Test since Australia’s innings and 80-run loss to South Africa in 2016.

Bellerive would most likely return to the Test calendar next year only at the Gabba’s expense, as Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide are all locked in, and CA would be keen to return to Perth’s Optus Stadium, the scene of Australia’s only win of the Border-Gavaskar series.

TheFrog

Coach
The Article said:
So next year, for the first time in more than a decade, a non-Ashes summer will feature only five Tests. (There were four Tests in 2014-15 to allow time to host the 2015 World Cup.)
Translation: In the last 10 seasons there have been 6 Tests 5 times, 5 Tests 4 times and 4 Tests once.

Suitman

Post Whore
I did a drive by on monday, water wasnt near it mate

As Townsville and regional communities battle flooding from a severe weather event, the new North Queensland Stadium site has been put to the test along the banks of Ross River.

The Queensland Department of Housing and Public Works, leading the delivery of the new stadium, released this statement today:

As at 9am on Monday 4 February, the North Queensland Stadium site is affected by some water logging as a result of the extreme rainfall event in Townsville but it is not yet experiencing overland flooding.

100,000m3 of fill was used to raise the building platform above the Q100 flood level before construction commenced.

Watpac are currently on site but no construction activity is taking place.

The situation will continue to be closely monitored and construction work will not recommence on site until proper assessments are undertaken to ensure, for example, the safety of workers.

ejwlaSm.jpg

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2019/02/04/new-stadium-site-stands-up/

simmo05

Bench
Yeah nice

I don’t think I’ve had KFC for about 5 years.
I used to live off it and didn’t get fat .
Now
Pfft
I never eat it for that reason, but almost everywhere was shut so thought i would have a crack. I regretted the decision a couple of hours later!

jim_57

Staff member

I like the idea, I'd extend it to NZ as well.

To be fair IF the Sydney stadiums get done there isn't a whole lot left to do.

Canberra is the only glaringly obvious one that the 3 rectangular codes could really push for.

A smaller Brisbane region stadium - hard to see all codes agreeing with this as Union & Soccer would want it in the city and NRL would ideally want it in Ipswich, Redcliffe or Logan for use by a 2nd Brisbane team for 4-6 games. A 2nd stadium in the city would allow Suncorp to be a mostly RL venue though.

Auckland would be mainly driven by NZRU but the NRL, Warriors and NZ soccer could certainly get behind it.

Those seem to be the only obvious new builds. Maybe Adelaide & Christchurch if you're looking at other places that host odd games or are expansion targets. The rest you'd be looking at upgrades to the likes of Newcastle, Cambelltown, Suncorp, Wellington, Perth, Woolongong etc.

The problems would probably come when politics inevitably creep in when the parties involved are all pushing for different upgrades to benifit them.

T-Boon

Coach

Totally agree. How hard could that be?

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah nice

I don’t think I’ve had KFC for about 5 years.
I used to live off it and didn’t get fat .
Now
Pfft

KFC is a poor excuse for fried chicken, just gristle and fat and no meat, have one about 200 metres from where I live, do go there on the odd occasion to get a twister and of course when I’m standing in line to get served I always end up getting a couple of pieces of chicken then afterwards I wonder why I did it, mind you I do like the coating but there is basically no chicken under the skin.