What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Let's take it all back a bit Re Evans...

Who here, after Parra announced the Kane Evans signing - even if you do actually remember the presser at the time when BA mentioned he would add "depth" to our club or if you've dug up press releases from the time to suit your argument -... How many of you actually thought Evans was signed to play for Wenty and put pressure on our shitty merkins playing in the top 17 for 3 years??

I'd love to see some Pou posts from 2017 saying that he's super happy we signed Evans to come and play reserve grade....

This merkin was part of a successful club and winning culture since he came in to 1st grade... He was bought because BA thought he would improve our first grade team pure and simple. Anyone arguing against that is kidding themselves and arguing he was bought for depth is embarrassing IMO. It's letting the merkin off and not holding him accountable as far as I'm concerned.

It's Darcy Lussick MK II, that's how it feels to me... The potential is there and I'm not writing him off yet... But people trying to convince themselves and others that he hasn't been a terrible signing to this point need to take a step back and be honest.

I thought he was a good signing, and hoped he'd bring grunt and a mentality of success from where he'd been... But he has been nowhere near that.
We all hope for the best.

But as long as we haven’t paid a shitload of coin for him (which I doubt we have, I just think it is more than what Pou thinks) then where’s the harm?

It is nice to have the luxury of a player of his proven ability to call on if needed. We just need to be realistic about what he can bring to the table and create an environment where he can perform like he did at the Roosters.

Happy MEel

First Grade

But as long as we haven’t paid a shitload of coin for him (which I doubt we have, I just think it is more than what Pou thinks) then where’s the harm?

It is nice to have the luxury of a player of his proven ability to call on if needed. We just need to be realistic about what he can bring to the table and create an environment where he can perform like he did at the Roosters.
Also well said. Finally some sense being made on the topic. I think we (and the club) need to adjust our expectations and cop the overs we have paid for him. I think we now have too much cap space tied up in fringe first graders but that’s just the way it is. We have plenty of cover in case of injuries but that comes at the expense of quality in the top 17. Them’s the breaks.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Also well said. Finally some sense being made on the topic. I think we (and the club) need to adjust our expectations and cop the overs we have paid for him. I think we now have too much cap space tied up in fringe first graders but that’s just the way it is. We have plenty of cover in case of injuries but that comes at the expense of quality in the top 17. Them’s the breaks.
I think @Incorrect must have written my post as well.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Positives are everyone was s**t last year and Kane definitely wasnt the s**tiest in the value for money stakes. That honour goes to Mennings hands down.
Greater effort, fitness and better coaching may well enable better value out of Kane. I really dont think Mennings has any potential to realise what he will be paid in 2019.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I think we pay overs for nearly everyone, including Kane Evans.

But we had a top four side in 2017, lost Fritchard and Radradra and signed Evans, Hayne and Tony Williams for 2018. We also re-signed Alvaro and Brown. How much could Evans realistically be on?

Happy MEel

First Grade

But we had a top four side in 2017, lost Fritchard and Radradra and signed Evans, Hayne and Tony Williams for 2018. We also re-signed Alvaro and Brown. How much could Evans realistically be on?
The salary cap also had an unprecedented jump of $2.4m.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I'd say $250-$300K. What's your guess, $150-200K?

Latest posts