What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team list Tuesday ! Trial vs Raiders

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well from what I saw (only from about 35 mins onwards) Paulo was excellent and will be a huge buy.

Dylan Brown was very good.

FG realistically won 20-6, given there was no way that second Raiders try was ever down. Which is ok but not great, never looked in top gear.

Mennings looked much better, let's see if that carries into the season. Mahoney was very sharp. Lane looked threatening at times and I thought Gower looked really good.

Moses looked tentative in the bits I saw. Needs to work on kicking goals if he's going to be the best option.

Timmy Mannah looked like a fat slug. Not sure I've ever seen him look genuinely off the pace in both attack and defence, but I thought he did.

We defended in second gear I thought and that showed towards the end of the FG boys stint.

Then Wenty came on and it all went properly downhill, but I suppose you expect that to an extent. NSW Cup is a very different level.

Solid enough hit-out, but far from perfect.
Pretty good synopsis but is it really to be expected that it would go downhill when Wenty came on? They were fielding a NSW Cup side as well and ours were at least fresh having not played in the first few quarters. I know we have players in Alice Springs but if that’s anything close to the standard Wenty play this year then they’re in for a long year as well. Let’s hope we don’t get any injuries.

Incorrect

Coach
That was almost the perfect trial IMO. The 1stcgrade grade squad when on the field dominated, built a lead and showed decent aptitude in defence....

When they were replaced by Ron Massey Cup calibre players, the other mob started to get back in to it....

And best of all, we lost off a jag of.a try at the death that nobody cares about..

Bazal

Post Whore
Pretty good synopsis but is it really to be expected that it would go downhill when Wenty came on? They were fielding a NSW Cup side as well and ours were at least fresh having not played in the first few quarters. I know we have players in Alice Springs but if that’s anything close to the standard Wenty play this year then they’re in for a long year as well. Let’s hope we don’t get any injuries.

Well it's definitely expected that the quality of football will drop. And when you play a NSW Cup level of football, it's much easier for the other blokes to chase down 8 points. It was a full 20 minutes of genuine reserve grade footy...

And yeah, quite a few of those Wenty blokes won't ever see a FG jersey. Some of them weren't even locks for Wenty (well, at ISP level), were they?

I did like what I saw from Bergamin though.

Eelogical

Referee
I thought our attack looked very 2018 like. We had a lot of ball and didn't do a whole lot with it (first half). Canberra looked keen right throughout the game and never really dropped their bundle. Our goal line defence remains questionable and our goal kicking is going to lose us a few games if Moses is going to be our #1 kicker. Having said all that, I know it's a trial, but i'm going for another beer.

I thought our attack looked very 2018 like. We had a lot of ball and didn't do a whole lot with it (first half). Canberra looked keen right throughout the game and never really dropped their bundle. Our goal line defence remains questionable and our goal kicking is going to lose us a few games if Moses is going to be our #1 kicker. Having said all that, I know it's a trial, but i'm going for another beer.
Put one in the river for me. With a bottle of scotch.

Razor12

Juniors
Up the spoon in the trophy cabinet its's basically Mounties V Parramatta but still can't win. Spoon for ya guarantee

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They had a 120 game halfback on at the end there and who knows how many other top 30 players. We had all part-timers.

It’s only a trial. But considering Canberra played their reserve grade side for the full 80 and we had close a 1st grade Side in the first half, I was expecting more in the first half.

Bazal

Post Whore
Early days, but he looks likes he's going to struggle to see the year out.

Yeah. Only one game, but with Kaufusi and Utoikamanu waiting in the wings if that's the level he's at now he'll struggle.

But it's only one game

Eelogical

Referee
Yeah. Only one game, but with Kaufusi and Utoikamanu waiting in the wings if that's the level he's at now he'll struggle.

But it's only one game
As much as he's been a great player for us over the years, he's going to find it that much harder to play at the level required for 2019 NRL. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think he's gone at least one season too long.

As much as he's been a great player for us over the years, he's going to find it that much harder to play at the level required for 2019 NRL. I hope he proves me wrong, but I think he's gone at least one season too long.
Timmynator is fine. He's copped a lot of shit cos he's been a mainstay in an underperforming side but I suspect he's always been value for money.

Latest posts