What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

getsmarty

Immortal
CLUB NEWS

Matt Dufty re-signs with the Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 18 Feb 2019, 05:55 AM

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has re-signed with the Dragons for a further two seasons.

Dufty – who was already under contract for 2019 – will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The Penshurst RSL junior's remains excited by the upcoming season, as competition for positions heats up leading into the pre-season trials following Corey Norman's arrival to the Red V.

"I'm very happy about re-signing for another two years. It wasn't a difficult decision. The Dragons is somewhere where I think I could play my best footy and where I wanted to stay," Dufty said.

"I feel like a weight has been lifted. I've had it over my head for a while now and I'm glad the positive discussions I've had with the club has ended this way.

"I'm really excited for this year to come. I'm not sure where I'll play but it's a good headache for Mary (coach Paul McGregor) to have.

"We have all been playing different positions, trying to get our different combinations sorted and with the strike force we have, it's exciting to see how we all play."

Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward was pleased the 23-year-old Dufty decided on recommitting to the club.

"He's a local junior who has gone through our pathway system, and we know he's a person we want here long-term at this club. He's a passionate Dragons player who brings a real skill set to the team," Millward said.

"We have been in deep discussions and negotiating with Matt and his agent since last year. He was aware of our discussions with Corey Norman at all times and he knew where his future lied at our club at all times.

"As for this year, we're really excited by 2019 with the depth and quality of our roster. In regards to what positions everyone plays, that's up to the coach. [The coach] is excited by not only the spine he has in 2019, but also 2020 and 2021."

Dufty's re-signing follows the recent key reacquisition of Tariq Sims until the end of the 2022 season.

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Millward discusses Dufty re-signing

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/02/18/matt-dufty-re-signs-with-the-dragons/

Gareth67

First Grade
Very very pleased that the lad and club have agreed to terms . As others have said the man has speed to burn and shall a big part of the Dragons attack for the next few seasons at least - much rather have him play for us than against us .

BLM01

First Grade
Maybe he should be scumullas fullback
Too late..we have signed him.
I am sure Nathan Pickworth will get him now on the illegal growth hormones. I can see the headlines. Dufty suffers mystery illness and is out for about 12 weeks while we pump growth hormones into him. He will retun in Round 10, 15 kgs heavier of muscle and 3 seconds faster over 50 metres..but all legal.

Old Timer

Coach
So much for all the people saying how he was on the outer.
Sounds far more like he had the inside running most of the way.
So if Dufty is signed on a 2 year extension (upgrade ??) then IMO it won't be to play ISP.
For my money Norman now shortening in the odds to actually be Kurt Mann's replacement on the bench rather than Widdop's replacement at 5/8 in respect of season 2019.

denis preston

First Grade
Wonder what he signed for? Anyone like to guess ( 400k a year ? )

Sounds like winger COULD be an option. Can't see Norman coming from the bench.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
So much for all the people saying how he was on the outer.
Sounds far more like he had the inside running most of the way.
So if Dufty is signed on a 2 year extension (upgrade ??) then IMO it won't be to play ISP.
For my money Norman now shortening in the odds to actually be Kurt Mann's replacement on the bench rather than Widdop's replacement at 5/8 in respect of season 2019.
Centre anyone.and don't forget that's only one spot away from five eight. Before you tell me he's not a centre in my mind he's outside widdop and scaring the shit out of the opposition...... .

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great news for the Dragons.I know it has been said many times when a junior leaves the Dragons that they will come back and bite us and this kid would have for sure.

Again top job Mr Millward. For me, he is the best person the Dragons have had in charge of retention for as long as I remember. They don't lose many juniors these days like we use to e.g Luke Bailey, Ryles, Tallis, Whare, Linnett, JMoz, Jason Stevens, etc. Everytime Saints got a junior to a top level I would always get nervous if they sign or not, but these days they usually stay thanks to Millward.His record is immense when it comes to keeping the good ones.

Walpole

Juniors
Centre anyone.and don't forget that's only one spot away from five eight. Before you tell me he's not a centre in my mind he's outside widdop and scaring the shit out of the opposition...... .
Centres do still have to defend don't they?

Interesting that Dufty's re-signed now. You'd think he would have been keen to test the market if he had been told he won't be fullback this year. Just what is that crafty old fox Mary up to? For all we know he's told Widdop, Norman, Dufty and some bloke from the Dapto Canaries reserves they'll all be fullback this year.

Drag Queen

Bench
I like you OD but this a really really bad idea. He would get hammered mate. He drops to the floor before the Mortein has even hit him. Perhaps wing or backup in FB when needed. I'm guessing we didn't pay overs.

Drag Queen

Bench
Centres do still have to defend don't they?

Interesting that Dufty's re-signed now. You'd think he would have been keen to test the market if he had been told he won't be fullback this year. Just what is that crafty old fox Mary up to? For all we know he's told Widdop, Norman, Dufty and some bloke from the Dapto Canaries reserves they'll all be fullback this year.
I said it a while back that Mary would be hedging his bets. Bingo.

ALSGI

Bench
This is great news, gongratulations to Matt and the club.

Can’t wait to see him go at it this year! I’m expecting a marked improvement in defence.
He’s not too far off the mark now, still reckon he’ll be a superstar.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I like you OD but this a really really bad idea. He would get hammered mate. He drops to the floor before the Mortein has even hit him. Perhaps wing or backup in FB when needed. I'm guessing we didn't pay overs.
Thanks drag I see Aitkin and he's not a dynamic defensive centre darling we all see things differently .........and assuming Mary leaves dufty at the back there's a lot of pieces. Rather play Norman somewhere than on the bench there's a lot of assumptions ......