What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Qualifiers

Australian-based Cook Islands players will use Saturday's International Nines tournament at Cabramatta to push for inclusion in the nation's World Cup qualifying campaign. The Cook Islands are scheduled to play United States later in the year for a place in the 2021 World Cup and officials are hoping they will have the services of NRL and Super League stars such as Alex Glenn, Dylan Napa, Zane Tetevano, Brad Takairangi, Anthony Gelling and Dominique Peyroux at that tournament in England. However, most of the squad is likely to be drawn from the Cook Islands, New Zealand and Australian competitions outside the NRL, and players from NSW and Queensland will have an opportunity to press their claims at the Nines. The Cooks Islands team, known as Ozzy Cooks, are one of 18 men's sides competing in the tournament, which has grown since 2003 and also features teams representing Italy, France, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Japan, Ireland, Columbia, South Sudan and composite African, Mediterranean and ASEAN outfits. A Kooris team will also compete, along with teams from Cabramatta and Glebe-Burwood Wolves Cook Islands, Tonga and Niue will field women's teams, along with Cabramatta, and there will also be Physical Disability demonstration matches.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/01...ers-chance-to-impress-for-world-cup-campaign/

Force

Juniors
Australian-based Cook Islands players will use Saturday's International Nines tournament at Cabramatta to push for inclusion in the nation's World Cup qualifying campaign. The Cook Islands are scheduled to play United States later in the year for a place in the 2021 World Cup and officials are hoping they will have the services of NRL and Super League stars such as Alex Glenn, Dylan Napa, Zane Tetevano, Brad Takairangi, Anthony Gelling and Dominique Peyroux at that tournament in England. However, most of the squad is likely to be drawn from the Cook Islands, New Zealand and Australian competitions outside the NRL, and players from NSW and Queensland will have an opportunity to press their claims at the Nines. The Cooks Islands team, known as Ozzy Cooks, are one of 18 men's sides competing in the tournament, which has grown since 2003 and also features teams representing Italy, France, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Japan, Ireland, Columbia, South Sudan and composite African, Mediterranean and ASEAN outfits. A Kooris team will also compete, along with teams from Cabramatta and Glebe-Burwood Wolves Cook Islands, Tonga and Niue will field women's teams, along with Cabramatta, and there will also be Physical Disability demonstration matches.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/02/01...ers-chance-to-impress-for-world-cup-campaign/
They won the Nines however I'd doubt many of those who played would make the full international team against USA, lucky to be one. Their women lost in the final.

Arucard

Juniors
Tukia!
Looking forward to having our Kukis back in the World Cup.
Also looking forward to another great domestic season on the islands of Rarotonga and Aitutaki getting underway this month.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
im just looking through the last qualifying stages and conparing what i THINK will happen with what i would LIKE to see happen....

Group A: i predict Ireland, Italy. But i hope Spain sneeks in.

Group B: id put money on Scotland and Russia, but id much rather see the Scots flunk out for Norway/Greece.

Continental group: i expect US to cruise through, but id much rather see SA win and get some African representation in the comp.

Bit regardless, i think it will prove to be a great idea expanding the WC to 16 teams and taking the training wheels off with the f*cking Super Group shit...

Dakink

Bench
im just looking through the last qualifying stages and conparing what i THINK will happen with what i would LIKE to see happen....

Group A: i predict Ireland, Italy. But i hope Spain sneeks in.

Group B: id put money on Scotland and Russia, but id much rather see the Scots flunk out for Norway/Greece.

Continental group: i expect US to cruise through, but id much rather see SA win and get some African representation in the comp.

Bit regardless, i think it will prove to be a great idea expanding the WC to 16 teams and taking the training wheels off with the f*cking Super Group shit...

On the Continental, have South africa withdrawn? Sure i read that somewhere?

latingringo101

Juniors
Our Colombian Team made the Semi finals of the tournament and lost to Burwood 40-20.

important to keep in mind they had beaten France 22-8 and Africa United 6-0 to make the semis with a team full of all born Colombian players!

adamkungl

Immortal
I thought SA pulled out?.....Im sure its just the US vs Cooks.

PS, where people continuously trip themselves over is thinking a bigger population and economy equates to success in Rugby League but we see time and time again, where the game falls flat in these bigger Nations because of a lack of interest and the game not going beyond park footy standard.

It's not that population and economy leads to bigger success, kind of the other way around.
A successful USA leads to the sport having access to bigger audience and finances.

Jim from Oz

Juniors

Is France sending a team over from France?
Or are they Oz-based Frenchmen?

Cheers

Force

Juniors
It's not that population and economy leads to bigger success, kind of the other way around.
A successful USA leads to the sport having access to bigger audience and finances.
You're gonna have to do more than being a successful team in the US market with an obscure sport like rugby league.

Burns

First Grade
So, is South Africa actually playing the Cook Islands?

The Cook Islands have pulled out of Test against Fiji, because they are playing same day against South Africa?

latingringo101

Juniors
Cook Islands to face South Africa in qualifier for RLWC2021

Cook Islands will face South Africa at Wentworthville’s Ringrose Park in Sydney on Friday June 21st, kick off is 7:00. The winners of this game will play the USA Hawks in the final qualifier to take the last berth at RLWC2021, a game which will take place in October.

The Cook Islands last qualified for RLWC2013 in England and they are very excited to have this chance. President of Cook Islands Rugby League, Charles Carlson commented

“This is every nation’s dream to play in the World Cup and no doubt both teams will want to qualify for this event given the success of the last World Cup. We are looking forward to this game as we have had limited opportunities to bring our players together for international test matches.”

South Africa last competed at a world cup in 2000 where they were in a group with Tonga, Papua New Guinea and France.

SARL Director, Jacey Strauss welcomes the opportunity to play in the qualifiers saying;

“We are proud and excited to face the Cook Islands in June in Sydney in a world cup qualifier for RLWC2021. The Rhinos will field a competitive team made up of heritage players and players from our domestic competition. This mix of talent and experience should make us worthy opponents and the team are proud to be flying the South African flag.”

The world cup qualifier will be a part of a huge weekend of international rugby league. The RLIF Oceania Cup will kick off when Tonga play New Zealand and PNG Kumuls will meet Samoa and Fiji will play Lebanon in an international challenge match.

http://rlif.com/article/8614/

1733694319_greecevnorwaymay19.thumb.jpg.b40dc2b438d4a6d7f507d96f84194898.jpg

Springs09

Juniors
With Cook Islands and USA both confirmed for the 9s you’d have to assume if Cook Islands beat South Africa they would play USA the week before the 9s in Australia?