What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Bulldogs

sup42

Juniors
They wore their old numbers and played opposite sides of the feild in the trials.

Very typical Warriors, the numbers don't mean much, especialy with the extended bench system, they often name players like a merit award at school above others, then drop them right out of the 17.

Going to have to wait till kick off to see the truth of it all.

Rich102

Staff member
There has been a reshuffle at Mt Smart, with try-scoring machine David Fusitu'a set to have a new partner on the right edge come round one.

Coach Stephen Kearney has made the call to shift powerhouse centre Solomone Kata to his preferred right-hand side and Peta Hiku to the left, breaking up a combination that last year saw Fusitu'a lead the NRL with 23 tries.

Kata has, in the past, been criticised for poor decision making, often opting to take it into contact himself rather than pass to the outside man..
Which is why Kearney's call to mix things up is such a big one, potentially robbing an attacking weapon like Fusitu'a of those final touches.

But Kearney insists the move is "the right one" for the side as a whole, and it's a feeling echoed by the high-flying winger from Kelston.

"I'm cool with it – excited actually," Fusitu'a said.

"He [Kata] said to me from the start 'if I don't pass to you, rip into me' and I told him I would have done that anyway. But no, look, we have been training really hard and we're excited to put that into practice.

"Sol is a really good defender so it's been a lot of us working and figuring out how each likes to play in certain situations."

The pair have played alongside one another in the red of Tonga, something Fusitu'a said has helped the transition.
The move was player driven, with Kata approaching Kearney in the off-season and asking to be moved over to his preferred right edge.

"He actually has always played right centre, but shifted to the left when we had Konrad [Hurrell] here," Kearney said.

"We as a coaching staff gave it some thought, and ultimately we think it's the right call."
But it's not just Kata's arrival that will bring change to one of 2018's most potent attacking edges – Fusitu'a will also be playing alongside Adam Blair this year, after Tohu Harris was shifted to the left.

But the man himself welcomed the changes and said as a unit, the side were ready to make the most of it.

"If Mooks makes the call then that's how it's going to be. Solo and Peta are different of course but they're both quality players so I'm not bothered either way and I'm very lucky in that sense," he said.
"I just want to get better, obviously, and as a side that's what we all want. I know how hard we have been working and everyone is just excited to hit the field Saturday and finally play some footy."

Stuff

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Rightside is Blair, Kata & Fus

Leftside is Tohu, Hiku & Ken
If that's the case then official team listing is wrong.

VODAFONE WARRIORS 1 ROGER TUIVASA-SHECK (c) 2 DAVID FUSITU’A 3 PETA HIKU 4 SOLOMONE KATA 5 KEN MAUMALO 6 ADAM KEIGHRAN 7 BLAKE GREEN 8 AGNATIUS PAASI 9 NATHANIEL ROACHE 10 BUNTY AFOA 11 ADAM BLAIR 12 TOHU HARRIS 13 LACHLAN BURR Interchange: 14 JAZZ TEVAGA 15 SAM LISONE 16 LEESON AH MAU 17 BLAKE AYSHFORD 18 GERARD BEALE 20 LIGI SAO 21 KARL LAWTON 22 CHANEL HARRIS-TAVITA HEAD COACH | STEPHEN KEARNEY

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
To be fair Kata can tackle, it’s his positioning that’s often rubbish. But yeah not what I’d call a gun defender. Fus just talking his mate up as you do

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Interesting to see how the Kata on the left thing happened, and it makes sense in hindsight. I remember Kata basically got elevated to FG earlier than expected due to Laumape being out and having to basically form a rookie partnership with Lolohea for most of a season. He didn’t exactly get eased into first grade in an ideal manner.

Last edited:

Iafeta

Referee

I’ve seen some horrific defensive centres at the Warriors. Anytime a sweeping play came the way of Jerome Ropati the team might as well have made their way to behind the posts and saved their energy.

Centre is a tough defensive position. And he is pretty good all things considered.

But he can’t pass. I’m hoping that has changed because it needs to.

TheDMC

Bench
I’ve seen some horrific defensive centres at the Warriors. Anytime a sweeping play came the way of Jerome Ropati the team might as well have made their way to behind the posts and saved their energy.

Centre is a tough defensive position. And he is pretty good all things considered.

But he can’t pass. I’m hoping that has changed because it needs to.

Maybe he has an awesome pass, but only left to right.

Is he a leftie? Would be pretty odd to be right handed yet more comfortable passing left to right...

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Yep, lefties normally spiral pass left to right a bit better than right handers do. Although league uses more of what NRL coaches call the '6 o'clock pass' as it floats more making it easier to catch.

Its Hiku that has the problem with defence. Kata just struggles with vision and passing.

morningstar

Juniors
Hiku is a good defender who can’t tackle.

Kata is a good tackler who can’t defend. Do you not remember the Panthers playoff game from last year?

...but now they are playing on their favoured sides i’m sure there will be an instant reversal in form.

Matua

Bench
Yep, lefties normally spiral pass left to right a bit better than right handers do. Although league uses more of what NRL coaches call the '6 o'clock pass' as it floats more making it easier to catch.

Its Hiku that has the problem with defence. Kata just struggles with vision and passing.
Wait what? You actually think Kata is good in defence? As Morningstar rightly notes he is a good 'tackler' but his defence is poor.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Wait what? You actually think Kata is good in defence? As Morningstar rightly notes he is a good 'tackler' but his defence is poor.
Is that what it ACTUALLY says on my post you replied to? Yeah thought so lol. Katas defence (when I talk defence, I mean its entirety) isn't as bad as Hikus. We've seen some poor reads from him in the past but we keep going on about Katas greediness, not his defence.

Morningstar mentioned the Penrith Panthers game last year where it was Hiku who had problems with his defence. I was on here posting live and we all agreed to Hiku being shit and basically costing us the game on defence against the Panthers. It's well documented on this forum ;) so dont worry about me remembering that Panthers game lol.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Is that what it ACTUALLY says on my post you replied to? Yeah thought so lol. Katas defence (when I talk defence, I mean its entirety) isn't as bad as Hikus. We've seen some poor reads from him in the past but we keep going on about Katas greediness, not his defence.
I was asking you if you think Kata has good defence.Hence the question marks. At any rate, he clearly doesn't, he can tackle but he makes misreads all the time which puts pressure on other defenders near him.

Also, didn't Morningstar specifically mention they playoff game not a regular season game.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I was asking you if you think Kata has good defence.Hence the question marks. At any rate, he clearly doesn't, he can tackle but he makes misreads all the time which puts pressure on other defenders near him.
Yeah and that's what I said in my post you just replied to.

A few years back Katas defence was the criticism of this forum. I had plenty to diss him with on that but then he seemed to tidy it up a bit under Cappys last year as coach.

I was just pointing out the current big issues that the two face in their game.

Matua

Bench
Yeah and that's what I said in my post you just replied to.

A few years back Katas defence was the criticism of this forum. I had plenty to diss him with on that but then he seemed to tidy it up a bit under Cappys last year as coach.

I was just pointing out the current big issues that the two face in their game.
While I concur that Hiku has problems with his one on one tackling and concur that Kata has issues with vision and passing I also think he has poor defence, so he has three big issues. I have not seen the improvement you've seen.