What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Brisbane won’t take a Sydney team but Perth will.

Will we?

Despite toddy’s bluster there will be no relocations. Reality is if the nrl really did want a sydney club to get into financial strife to force a move then they would not have increased the nrl grant by a massive $5million a year and would not have created a multi million $ club bail out fund for such an eventuality.

Mind you I bet the clubs are now kicking themselves they didn’t sign the lifetime license agreement the nrl was pushing last year lol

I think a relocation to Perth or Brisbane would be a failure, many nrl fans in both cities will already have an nrl club they support from afar, they are unlikely to warm to having to jump on a rivals brand wagon. Better two fresh start ups With no baggage.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be fair, I think this could happen "naturally" anyway with the addition of a Perth team. If the clubs have to fork out more money to fly west then some clubs won't be able to sustain it for much further into the future without help. This might be where you get your NZ2, Melb2, Adelaide, or whatever after.

The nrl pays clubs travel costs

Perth Red

Post Whore
Say you move Sharks to Perth...What infrastructure does Perth have to prove they can sustain a team?

There is no way any team gets moved...More games will just move that is all

Decent stadium
Millionaire backers
20,000 members in waiting
Some very big and rich companies

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep if a club is struggling financially & want help from the NRL then they’ll go bust if said club doesn’t want to relocate. Fair enough I say.

Did they not know there is a multi million $ bail out fund available to clubs in trouble?

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s just what I heard. If you’re the expert you tell us.

As part of the nrl’s agreement with clubs for this tv deal some of the funding has been set aside to bail out clubs if they get in trouble. This will be at the discretion of the other clubs and be on a loan basis. 2018 saw $3million set aside with a further $1/2million a year added to create a total of $5million in the fund by end of tv deal. If the funds are not used they will be distributed evenly to the 16 clubs in 2022. Did Kent not know this? The quality of RL experts is very low I have to say if he didn’t.

mongoose

Coach
Will we?

Despite toddy’s bluster there will be no relocations. Reality is if the nrl really did want a sydney club to get into financial strife to force a move then they would not have increased the nrl grant by a massive $5million a year and would not have created a multi million $ club bail out fund for such an eventuality.

Mind you I bet the clubs are now kicking themselves they didn’t sign the lifetime license agreement the nrl was pushing last year lol

I think a relocation to Perth or Brisbane would be a failure, many nrl fans in both cities will already have an nrl club they support from afar, they are unlikely to warm to having to jump on a rivals brand wagon. Better two fresh start ups With no baggage.

the clubs deserve the bigger grant though, they earn the money, not the NRL.

Noisy Parker

Juniors
As part of the nrl’s agreement with clubs for this tv deal some of the funding has been set aside to bail out clubs if they get in trouble. This will be at the discretion of the other clubs and be on a loan basis. 2018 saw $3million set aside with a further $1/2million a year added to create a total of $5million in the fund by end of tv deal. If the funds are not used they will be distributed evenly to the 16 clubs in 2022. Did Kent not know this? The quality of RL experts is very low I have to say if he didn’t.
You should put your hand up for a gig if you’re a so called expert. All I stated was that I’d heard that was the NRL’s plan.

Gosford or another Qld team is the only way to grow, not f**king Perth the Fumbleball State.

Diesel

Referee
Will we?

What’s the go with the current licences when they expire? Are they automatically renewed or do clubs have a set criteria to achieve?

Perth Red

Post Whore
You should put your hand up for a gig if you’re a so called expert. All I stated was that I’d heard that was the NRL’s plan.

Gosford or another Qld team is the only way to grow, not f**king Perth the Fumbleball State.

Wow, time of month? So much angst lol

I’m no expert but I read what the nrl puts out!
be nice if the people paid to make comment on the game did the same. How could none of the three on nrl360 know that there is a bail out fund available?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What’s the go with the current licences when they expire? Are they automatically renewed or do clubs have a set criteria to achieve?

Just watched nrl360, sounds very much to me like Todd has raised this possibility of relocation to scare the clubs into signing the perpetual licenses the nrl has been so desperate to get them to agree to. Why is this so important to the nrl? It basically means no possible threat of a breakaway by clubs if they aren’t happy with the future deal the nrl offers.

Dawesy76

Juniors
Was that actually said tonight on NRL360? I didnt see the show.
100%. It’s called perpetual licenses. Where the NRLC don’t require you to renew your license but if you find your club going broke or needing help the NRLC will only help the club out at their discretion. Eg if the Broncos came looking for help, the NRL would help because brisbane is an important market.

But If say the sharks come looking for help the NRL would give it to them on the basis of relocation.

Another interesting thing was, if a team owner tries to sell their license, the NRLC, can attach a rider that that particular license can be sold to market of their choosing. Eg Perth.

franklin2323

Immortal
Decent stadium
Millionaire backers

And what structures are in place for juniors? What about those not in the top squad where do play etc.. We are atleast 3 years from anywhere new being ready for a side.

taipan

Referee
Yep if a club is struggling financially & want help from the NRL then they’ll go bust if said club doesn’t want to relocate. Fair enough I say.

Decent stadium
Millionaire backers

Millionaire backers that are prepared for the long term,the highs and lows?
20,000 members confirmed or estimated?Most Sydney clubs have 15-20,000 representing a part of Sydney.Think it's fair to say few will follow their relocated club ro removed club.
Some very big and rich companies.Who? Have they publicly committed financially?
Who pays the travel costs?
How will the TV ratings for a Perth team perform in Sydney viewing audience against for example a Sydney team? eg A Warriors v Perth game.
Not trying to be a smart a*se ,just ferreting out facts.

If no Sydney clubs are struggling when the time arrives ,why not 18 teams?
Who knows the NRL may require Sydney clubs to all play at the new centralised stadiums(hello MR Daley),if they want to remain in Sydney.
Trouble is when I hear it from Kent and Ikin etc ,they are following the needs of their media masters, and have little empathy for the fans.And Gus Gould ditto.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Everyone's talking relocation. I'm thinking it will be a new team + a merger.

Let's be honest, you relocate any Sydney team, that area is a good as dead for the NRL. Manly and Cronulla still keep the light on coastal Sydney. Kill either and AFL takes over eastern Sydney. Rugby League becomes a West Sydney game.

As bad as Stg/Ill and Wests Tigers are, they've kept two fan bases in the game. For the good of the game, 2 teams will have to merge.

I know I wouldn't like it to be Parra and Penrith but if the choice was Parra moving to Perth or Parra merging with Penrith, I'd take the latter.

My 2 cents.

Dawesy76

Juniors
Millionaire backers that are prepared for the long term,the highs and lows?
20,000 members confirmed or estimated?Most Sydney clubs have 15-20,000 representing a part of Sydney.Think it's fair to say few will follow their relocated club ro removed club.
Some very big and rich companies.Who? Have they publicly committed financially?
Who pays the travel costs?
How will the TV ratings for a Perth team perform in Sydney viewing audience against for example a Sydney team? eg A Warriors v Perth game.
Not trying to be a smart a*se ,just ferreting out facts.

If no Sydney clubs are struggling when the time arrives ,why not 18 teams?
Who knows the NRL may require Sydney clubs to all play at the new centralised stadiums(hello MR Daley),if they want to remain in Sydney.
Trouble is when I hear it from Kent and Ikin etc ,they are following the needs of their media masters, and have little empathy for the fans.And Gus Gould ditto.
You make a good point. But from all reports the Force, while performance wise, didn’t set the world on fire, the had decent to good crowds and survived a tough as hell super rugby schedule. Then being removed from the super rugby despite financial backing is still to be played out legally.

My glory fan friends in Perth don’t ideally love the travel but they and the team seem to handle it. Same for the eagles....less said about freo the better. Lol.

Latest posts