What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

TheFrog

Coach
Not really, most clubs are already taking one or two games on the road for financial reasons.
Sydney clubs, no-one else.

You've got a good idea, but it needs tweaking. Panthers might wear a home game against WT being played at Parra every second year for 3 or 4 years, then the relocation has to stand on its feet. But what would Dragons, Manly, Roosters have to say?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Sydney clubs, no-one else.

You've got a good idea, but it needs tweaking. Panthers might wear a home game against WT being played at Parra every second year for 3 or 4 years, then the relocation has to stand on its feet. But what would Dragons, Manly, Roosters have to say?

Seriously.. a “good” idea?

When the crowds in Perth are poor, what’s the first thing old mate is going to say?

It’s a failed Sydney team.. give us our own team..

Stallion

First Grade
I don't think so. As mentioned by madunit : This has been the scenario for decades. The wise way to go would be two additional.clubs . Deciding where they are is the trick. Brisbane for sure! Elsewhere is open to debate.My thoughts are Central Coast Bears as a means of reclaiming a lost neglected area and consolidating the Gosford area along with helping Manly out or West Coast Pirates. (a tad more ambitious and costly ) but with tv timing/scheduling advantages along with a more national look to the NRL.

unforgiven

Bench
I wonder if the nrl agreed to rig the draw and compensate the home club to give up a home game if that would ease the relocation pain?

Say wests were moved to Perth. If nrl guaranteed that the new perth west tigers played 12 home games in Perth and 12 “away” games at WSS if tigers fans in Sydney would go for it?
I wouldn't go for it.

unforgiven

Bench
I don't think so. As mentioned by madunit : This has been the scenario for decades. The wise way to go would be two additional.clubs . Deciding where they are is the trick. Brisbane for sure! Elsewhere is open to debate.My thoughts are Central Coast Bears as a means of reclaiming a lost neglected area and consolidating the Gosford area along with helping Manly out or West Coast Pirates. (a tad more ambitious and costly ) but with tv timing/scheduling advantages along with a more national look to the NRL.
No to Central Coast Bears!

Stallion

First Grade
No to Central Coast Bears!

That's a no to over a million potential fans! And some great local derbies? God knows the code is struggling in northern Sydney and we have people wanting to continue the rot !? IT'S A REAL SHAME. And it would make money!

unforgiven

Bench
That's a no to over a million potential fans! And some great local derbies? God knows the code is struggling in northern Sydney and we have people wanting to continue the rot !? IT'S A REAL SHAME. And it would make money!
Its not a no to a million potential fans, many are already fans and those that aren't can choose one of the 10 clubs within 100kms of them.

Stallion

First Grade
Its not a no to a million potential fans, many are already fans and those that aren't can choose one of the 10 clubs within 100kms of them.

Nope. Their are plenty of Bears fans disenfranchised and I'm sure a big number of Central Coast fans ready to support such a side in the top flight. Think underestimating the latent support is a sad reality in this forum. They count and exist in big numbers. Oh well. So be it. I'm starting to tire from the negativity.

Last edited:

ram raid

Bench
Ahhh yeah I remember that one.
Seriously though if you were starting the NRL from scratch that’s exactly how you’d do it.
I remember around 98/99 there was a concept of one team merged from Norths, Balmain, Wests and maybe Souths or Easts calling the team Sydney United. Not a bad idea IMO

It is a stupid idea, it might rip the competition up irrecoverably, and I only meant it half trollingly, but, it would solve a lot of problems such as teams losing their identity. They would keep their identity but just like Newtown and the bears. And wouldn't suffer the indignity of of negation or relocation.
You could have Manly and the Bears feeding to North's.
Dragons, Bunnies and Cronulla feeding to South's.
Roosters just being easts.
And Tigers, Parra, Dogs, Penrith to. Wests.

Anyway what a privlidge to be called stupid by no less of a man than Kenty himself!

Stallion

First Grade
It is a stupid idea, it might rip the competition up irrecoverably, and I only meant it half trollingly, but, it would solve a lot of problems such as teams losing their identity. They would keep their identity but just like Newtown and the bears. And wouldn't suffer the indignity of of negation or relocation.
You could have Manly and the Bears feeding to North's.
Dragons, Bunnies and Cronulla feeding to South's.
Roosters just being easts.
And Tigers, Parra, Dogs, Penrith to. Wests.

Anyway what a privlidge to be called stupid by no less of a man than Kenty himself!

And that's an expert on stupidity in Kent! That's top of the tree. But I'd say he's pandering to his media boss! A certainty!

unforgiven

Bench
Nope. Their are plenty of Bears fans disenfranchised and I'm sure a big number of Central Coast ready tof support such a side on the top flight. Think underestimating the latent support is a sad reality in this forum. They count and exist in big numbers. Oh well. So be it. I'm starting to tire from the negativity.
They have 10 teams within 100km that they can support!

Stallion

First Grade
They have 10 teams within 100km that they can support!

And also the largest population and market in Australia and another million coming! Go where the fish are. Rather than let the fish go away and find something else. (*which is happening in northern Sydney ) But let's ignore the maths and the loss of support! Everything's rosy! That's what some will chest pump. Not this black duck. The code is being weakened in Australias biggest market and in its stronghold! But the truth gets in the way of the rosy story!

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
And also the largest population and market in Australia and another million coming! Go where the fish are. Rather than let the fish go away find something else. (*which is happening on northern Sydney ) But let's ignore the maths and the loss of support! Everything's rosy! That's what some will chest pump. Not this black duck. The code is being weakened in Australias biggest market and in its stronghold! But the truth gets in the way of the rosy story!
10 teams within 100km of the Central Coast, there are plenty of fishermen in the area. I'd say any fish remainding aren't biting.

taipan

Referee
The difference being, this is a once only windfall, whereas pokies are ongoing.

Tigers fans might go for it, but I'm not so sure about fans of other clubs, especially non-Sydney clubs. Perhaps if it is for just a single season, or if you only get Sydney teams to play at Parramatta for 3 years or so. It's going to mess with membership arrangements of clubs and their ability to sell them.

The difference is the Sharks will have a new refurbished League club, with poker machines also available.
Yes a once only windfall that clears all debts, pays for a refurbished Leagues club and money in the bank as a backstop.I doubt too many clubs would complain about that.
Pokies are ongoing,but as the Dragons found out, the revenue can drop substantially over time as it did at Kogarah.

Stallion

First Grade
10 teams within 100km of the Central Coast, there are plenty of fishermen in the area. I'd say any fish remainding aren't biting.
It's a great code. The fish will support it en masse if given positive scenarios. But we (or the News ltd media) have a penchant for negative chatter. Relocation is not what any local fan wants or a club deserves. This crap was hurting the competition in the lead up to the superleague war. And now it's happening again. It's so dissappointing. AND so unnecessary. Just add two clubs:Brisbane2 and West Coast in Perth if people can't see the Central Coast Bears logic? But weakening the code in its heartland area is the thrust for some. It's reckless and not required.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh look stallion with a bring back the bears post lol

I can’t see any club getting in so much strife they have to move now.
Manly would be the most at risk, their finances are dire, their leagues club is in big trouble, their fans have abandoned them and their ground is a shthole but it’s hard to believe someone wouldn’t step in if the penns got fed up of bank rolling them.

Nrl will bluster to try and force the clubs into signing perpetual licenses then either announce Perth and Brisbane for 2023, or announce no expansion until after 2023 tv deal is done and picture is known. Put money on it!

Stallion

First Grade
Oh look stallion with a bring back the bears post lol

I can’t see any club getting in so much strife they have to move now.
Manly would be the most at risk, their finances are dire, their leagues club is in big trouble, their fans have abandoned them and their ground is a shthole but it’s hard to believe someone wouldn’t step in if the penns got fed up of bank rolling them.

Nrl will bluster to try and force the clubs into signing perpetual licenses then either announce Perth and Brisbane for 2023, or announce no expansion until after 2023 tv deal is done and picture is known. Put money on it!

I'll put money on a whole host of negativity and bickering. THANKS NEWS LTD! I honestly think neutral and longtime fans are getting jack of the negativity! In my opinion that may be the issue affecting decent Sydney crowds. The neutrals have thought:"Why go to that ?They are closing/ridding us of more clubs!"And some of the longstanding fans are starting to think "Is it really worth my time and effort to go support a club that may be relocated into the future? "To me that's affecting Sydney crowds. I'll be intrigued to see any bigger than expected crowds in Sydney games this season. Think the fans(a sizeable %) have had enough of the shit relocation chatter/press! That's my gut feeling!

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
no, apathy and too many clubs per population is why Sydney gets crap crowds, or do you think crowds have suddenly got bad in the last week because of talk of relocation lol?

What’s the excuse for the last twenty years?

siv

First Grade
If you go the geographical argument, roosters or Souths. Both lay claim to the east/south east corridor, but are pretty well boxed in outside of that

As i said the other week, the Souths ceo confirmed a few years ago that 80% of their members don’t even live in the south of Sydney any more

On that basis, it’s goodbye Souths

If they moved the dogs I’d understand as well. Don’t have a huge geographical space to lay claim to and don’t really have a sustainable/quality home ground option

Maybe if Easts want the Central Coast juniors they should relocate to Gosford