What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Ponga prob shot himself in foot. 4yrs at 700k.
Had he done a 2 yr deal worth around 550k and free to negotiate now he would demand well over a mill. I reckon he would get 1.2 tbh....

I do think NRL should have a rookie max earning capacity like nfl. That was clubs who bring juniors in can evaluate them at NRL level and get chance to put them in plans rather taking a huge risk on big contract or losing them.
Too many fingers in a pie that ain’t big enough will mean big salary cap changes like this either won’t make it past players association or the NRL would have to fork over more money

Bazal

Post Whore
I agree that we should speak to Xerri and Lomax. If they sign, great. If they don’t, well we can all shitbag the club more. Win win IMO

And then when we get punished by the NRL for talking to players under contract we can double down on our shit bagging!

Win win win

jk13

First Grade
And this is where the nrl falls down. There needs to be compensation for losing a player you’ve nurtured. U can’t get draft picks so u need cap concessions

Bazal

Post Whore
And this is where the nrl falls down. There needs to be compensation for losing a player you’ve nurtured. U can’t get draft picks so u need cap concessions

There should be a salary cap discount for players who have been with the club since SG Ball or earlier.

And I've always been a fan of the idea that your junior sides should have a minimum number of local juniors in them too. Take some of the heat out of this rampant poaching

TheRam

Coach
I am going to go against the grain a little here. I reckon there is value to be had getting older guys that people disregaurd.
Juniors tend to get overhyped a lot and overpaid for potential. Happy to throw in our own juniors we produce and you tend to get a few cheap years or chase your Salmons,Stones,Mahoneys, Niakuores who would of been cheap and easier jnr targets...

Ramien would of costed over 350k. Ferguson was 500k and the best back in game on form.Imagine he was 24 and played like he was? He gets 750k.
MJ next contract might be around 300k and would offer a safe bet. Still strong, has speed and can play NRL level. I yet to see a heap of decline inn his physical side. Z.Lomax will cost more and may not perform at as high a level till finds his feet.

I also think that this is a good way to go too. I like Gennings, always have. But we definitely need another strike centre. Taka, as much as I like him for his good stuff, I can hate him for his bad stuff. As for Salmon, we have to wait and see I suppose what he is truly capable of in the centre position once Brown comes back. Till then we won't know what we really have.

But we are currently short of a strike/defensive centre and another powerhouse front rower. If only we could have gotten Addin Fonua-Blake over the line. We would be premiership potential from what I have seen so far this season. Our spine, to my surprise has been as good as anyone could have hoped for so far this season.

The only thing that has let us down a little so far this season has been terrible handling errors at crucial times in games and during the Roosters game Moses didn't handle the game management side of things to well at the back end of the game. But hopefully if he keeps playing like he is and keeps leaning without the tantrums and Brown develops along as we all hope, then that won't be a problem in the not to distant future so much.

But we definitely need those two position improved on when we come up against fully fit top level sides.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yeah Jesse Ramien and Kalyn Ponga want to say hi. There are always great opportunities if you are good enough and smart enough to get the job done. Not saying it is easy mate, but it is definitely doable.

I reckon a combo of the Sharks knowing they had Xerri, and being bent over by Holmes was the reason they lost Ramien. Have you seen the photos of Xerri from when he was about 10 being mates with Paul Gallen? I don't think they will be losing him.

And I think we will find that Mennings will be offered a new 1 yr deal in the hope that a parra junior is starting to become ready in 2020-21.

TheRam

Coach

There should be a salary cap discount for players who have been with the club since SG Ball or earlier.

And I've always been a fan of the idea that your junior sides should have a minimum number of local juniors in them too. Take some of the heat out of this rampant poaching

All great ideas and there have been a heap more over the years that make a hell of a lot of sense, but the NRL does nothing and then gives clubs a money grant that guarantees no club can ever go broke and then wants someone to relocate. Einsteins'. John Grant should of been shot for what he did there. Guaranteed that the Sydney RL market will always have 9 teams.

TheRam

Coach
I reckon a combo of the Sharks knowing they had Xerri, and being bent over by Holmes was the reason they lost Ramien. Have you seen the photos of Xerri from when he was about 10 being mates with Paul Gallen? I don't think they will be losing him.

And I think we will find that Mennings will be offered a new 1 yr deal in the hope that a parra junior is starting to become ready in 2020-21.

Yea I have seen the photo, but big whoop. Gallen said he didn't even remember that he knew him back then till Ramien reminded him. But regardless, the NRL is littered with players NOT playing with there most cherished team when they were juniors. Happen more often then not. They are professionals.

Which junior centre currently in our system would be considered the number one standout and ready to play NRL in the next 12 months?

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yea I have seen the photo, but big whoop. Gallen said he didn't even remember that he knew him back then till Ramien reminded him. But regardless, the NRL is littered with players NOT playing with there most cherished team when they were juniors. Happen more often then not. They are professionals.

Which junior centre currently in our system would be considered the number one standout and ready to play NRL in the next 12 months?
Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you in general, of course we should try to sign the best young players. But you mentioned Xerri specifically, and I'm pointing out reasons why I don't think he will leave the Sharks.
And also that signing young players before they have had NRL experience is fraught with risk. I remember some people blowing up about losing young Reimis Smith to the Bulldogs last year.

And probably Parry, given he is in the Wenty side ,but he won't be better than an ageing Mennings any time soon.

Last edited:

Basil Brush

Juniors

You know Xerri would be worth about 500k at the moment.

My point is that clubs identify players before they reach 1st grade level.

TheRam

Coach
Yeah I'm not disagreeing with you in general, of course we should try to sign the best young players. But you mentioned Xerri specifically, and I'm pointing out reasons why I don't think he will leave the Sharks.
And also that signing young players before they have had NRL experience is fraught with risk. I remember some people blowing up about losing young Reimis Smith to the Bulldogs last year.

And probably Parry, given he is ion the Wenty side ,but he won't be better than an aging Mennings any time soon.

Agreed. I only brought up Xerri as an example, but I get your point on the dangers of signing unproven juniors to massive contracts. I normally wouldn't do it, but only for the real exceptional ones. Xerri has been exceptional for a while now and has all the attributes to be a winner, winner chicken dinner type of player. He is huge without being fat, agile and has great foot work, can defend well, has speed to burn, a family boy and is of European decent. Not that there is a problem with any other hereditary background. We are all equal in the eyes of the Lord.

TheRam

Coach
You know Xerri would be worth about 500k at the moment.

My point is that clubs identify players before they reach 1st grade level.

He would be a steal at that price. He is a ready made NRL player would would be worth that sort of coin for what he can produce on the football field right now. What other centre player with all his attributes do you think that you could sign for much less then that?

He looks like a real gun the way he carries that ball. Dare I say it , but in a couple of year I can see him in a SOO sky blue jumper.

But again, I am not suggesting that we can poach him from the Sharks at the moment, he is signed to them for a while I believe. Unless they got into salary problems again and needed to purge and he didn't want to be stuck in a team that stank like dogs balls.

Basil Brush

Juniors
He would be a steal at that price. He is a ready made NRL player would would be worth that sort of coin for what he can produce on the football field right now. What other centre player with all his attributes do you think that you could sign for much less then that?

He looks like a real gun the way he carries that ball. Dare I say it , but in a couple of year I can see him in a SOO sky blue jumper.
I agree he may be a steal at 500k but he has played 1 game.

Ponga was a steal but had played more 1st grade.

Our priorities should be Dylan Brown (absolute gun) and Gutho.

TheRam

Coach
I agree he may be a steal at 500k but he has played 1 game.

Ponga was a steal but had played more 1st grade.

Our priorities should be Dylan Brown (absolute gun) and Gutho.

Didn't say they shouldn't be. Can you walk and squirt at the same time mate? I know I can.

Latest posts