What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greg Inglis announces retirement from rugby league

axl rose

Bench
Will always remember that game he played for QLD after Andrew Johns politically incorrect slur at Blues training. The Inglis was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup at a deli.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I fail to see how this registered contract is different. He is still being employed by the club.

Inglis is quitting his playing contract on mutual terms.
There's no rule against an ex-player seeking employment with their ex-club.
The only way it should effect the salary cap is if such a role is promised as part of their playing contract.

You could argue about it being a bit of a 'brown paper bag' but ultimately it's impossible to police such a thing without significant overreach and grey areas. I'm not a fan of the NRLs previous interference in the player market (ie. when they refused Parra signing Folau because the amount he wanted to play for wasn't high enough). If they think something's dodgy, prove it or police the cap by the actual rules.

The club might have whispered in his ear that they'll pay him a million a year to run the water if he retires now, but
a) We all know the rumours but football clubs are run on a fairly tight budget - there's only so much cash you can throw around, it has to come from somewhere. Are Souths in the business of paying people 7 figures to do nothing?
b) They might have done so anyway regardless of whether he retires now. I have little doubt that GI basically has a job for life at South Sydney

Perth Red

Post Whore
Been a great player to watch, last few years have been hard to see him struggle on and off the field. Hopefully if this is it he keeps his head right and does great things in his community.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why does TV think being a good player makes you a good commentator? Watching Fitler on yesterday mornings Sunday show was down right painful. Roach is terrible, Hodges and Finch suck. The best are the non players generally.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I get what you’re saying, however I feel this leads to all sorts rorting. Chris Lawrence was signed to a monster 6 year contract in 2011. In 2015 Wests Tigers, along with Lawrence applied to extend his contract however have it spread out. I.e he was on $600kpa for the next 2 years, however would be reduced to $4-500kpa but got a 2 year extension at the new value. The NRL knocked it back saying ‘once we’ve registered a contract at an amount it can’t be reduced.’ I fail to see how this registered contract is different. He is still being employed by the club.
Watmough's contract wasn't included in the salary cap when he retired....

"Watmough's knee injury has been cleared by the NRL as a career-ending injury, which allows the Eels to clear his mammoth contract out of this year's salary cap."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...ying-with-the-salary-cap-20160512-gotpht.html

Mr Spock!

Referee

Mr Spock!

Referee
re: Cap 'relief'

If he medically retires and Souths pay him the remainder of his contract, it should count.
If he quits his contract and Souths no longer pay him, it shouldn't count. Why would an imaginary salary count in the cap? Any other player that quits or is fired would immediately free up cap space.

Pretty simple. The cap is meant to count what clubs are actually paying.
When Matai or Stewart were medically retired, they still got paid their salary didn't they?
Watmough?

Actually watmough's contract was cleared because it was career ending injury.
"Watmough's knee injury has been cleared by the NRL as a career-ending injury, which allows the Eels to clear his mammoth contract out of this year's salary cap."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pa...ying-with-the-salary-cap-20160512-gotpht.html

TheFrog

Coach
re: Cap 'relief'

If he medically retires and Souths pay him the remainder of his contract, it should count.
If he quits his contract and Souths no longer pay him, it shouldn't count. Why would an imaginary salary count in the cap? Any other player that quits or is fired would immediately free up cap space.

Pretty simple. The cap is meant to count what clubs are actually paying.
When Matai or Stewart were medically retired, they still got paid their salary didn't they?
They claim it on insurance. Insurance companies are always reluctant to pay out. He was listed as 50/50 two weeks ago. Inglis would have to have absolutely no prospect of being fit to play at any time in the future. Mental issues wouldn't count. If insurance doesn't cover it means they pay him and he's under the cap until his time is up. I've no idea how Parra got away with it with Watmough.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The younger Inglis played for Norths Devils. He was a sensation in the QRL. Playing in the NRL was just a matter of time.

The only reason he went to Melbourne was because Norths Devils were in their system.
Indeed went to 4th Qld club. After a few games in Brisbane school then a season for Norths.

Need footage of that year, scored like 15 tries from kick returns, set up many too.

These were not kids he was playing, made them look like it.

2 weeks

Coach
The only times i got to go for GI was when he played for Australia, but he gave me so many good memories in that jumper that I have to wish the guy the best in his retirement.

Guy was a freak when fit.

images

Springs09

Juniors
The kind of player that could do nothing and look disinterested for 75 minutes and then decide to win the game by himself in 5. You wonder how good he could have been if he had a drive like Thurston.

He had such an influence on Origin I reckon we would have won a few of those 8 in a row had he played for NSW.

Latest posts