What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Extension

Yeah what a shitshow. Lucky they didn't appoint a bloke from the Illawarra comp to take over huh.

Meanwhile we've won 1 finals match in 9 years and you're dancing around singing kumbaya and praising at the feet of the supercoach who's been in charge for half of it.
Where have I praised him, you moron? I never once said I support his extension, just that I can see the reasons for it. Go and kick your dog again, mate! Might make you feel happy for a few minutes.

getsmarty

Immortal
I do actually agree with you here, I DO think the players like him, and I do believe this is important as a coach if you want your players to believe in you, but it's only 1 factor in being a coach. You can be the best guy in the world, but it doesn't mean you'll be a great coach. His deficiencies have never been in his popularity within the club. He needs to show he is learning from previous mistakes, something we are yet to see.

I hope he proves so many wrong and leads the club to success, but there is no evidence that he is making alterations to the things that have cost us in the last few years, and that's why so many fans are frustrated he has been extended before he has demonstrated this.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure after 5 years how a best finish of 7th on the ladder is good enough, where losing 8 of your last 12 games every season is worthy of an extension now.

Well Said...sums it up in a nutshell....

Dragons 09

Juniors
Gareth its a done deal...Just waiting the presser....

You mentioned some time ago and with some certainty that this was imminent and when i saw your first post about it, that was the start of my grieving process. I was left shaking my head last night when i heard about it on NRL360, but thanks to your earlier mail i was prepared for it so last night didn't sting as much as it could of i guess.
Cheers mate, appreciate your input on the forum....keep up the good work.

I agree with you that we could've hired a better coach. I mentioned 3 earlier I would rather see coach us. All I was saying is that we fans do not spend hours with Mary, on the training paddock, in the dressing sheds etc. to gain a better opinion on his capabilities as an NRL coach than the current squad. They seem to be okay with his extension, do seem to like playing under him, surely their opinions hold much more merit than ours do. Pretty sure we would not rather see our team looking like the Broncos under Seibold right now.
How can you compare Mary and Seibold who is 5 games into his tenure at the Broncos?
You miss the whole point about McGregor.
It's too late to go through a "get to know McGregor, the Player's coach" media exercise with him.
We know his capabilities...many examples and a very modest win/loss ratio.
it's already been more than 5 years + another 2 coming up.
The real issue is his appointment in the first place - all arguments about McGregor's coaching start and finish right there.
This business about harmony in the squad is nonsense.
Does it mean that another half a dozen coaches would not have fostered the same type of harmony in our squad?
Bennett has been doing it for years but you don't see him using palsy nick names in the media conferences.
It's not a Mary exclusive is all I am saying - if it is even true.
No player is going to come out publicly and rubbish their coach no matter how bad he is.
Ultimately, what is missing is accountability and real results.
Fans and sponsors want to see St. George playing finals footy and challenging for the title.
That has never happened under McGregor and he has never been held accountable.

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
Put it this way Id like to be as confident as winning the lotto this week.....sadly it will happen media speculation or not

Maybe, but I find it hard to take the media seriously at the best of times. Especially in RL. For example, Merrin was a sure thing last week, today, he's no chance.

Granted this has probably come from Crawley - so there is a definite link there.

getsmarty

Immortal
You mentioned some time ago and with some certainty that this was imminent and when i saw your first post about it, that was the start of my grieving process. I was left shaking my head last night when i heard about it on NRL360, but thanks to your earlier mail i was prepared for it so last night didn't sting as much as it could of i guess.
Cheers mate, appreciate your input on the forum....keep up the good work.

Your welcome Dragons 09....I don't always post everything as things can often change, but to my shock " I was told this was as good as done last year " ...only the length of the deal was the sticking point...

The board believe that we can win a Premiership with Mary at the helm...personally I can't see it but would be more than happy If Paul Proves me wrong. I have nothing against him personally, I just think there were better options we could have pursued and indeed we did pursue others so that being the case why settle for the status quo ?

Last edited:
Ok Dennis, you are right. You are better placed to form an opinion on Mary's capabilities than his players. They must be feigning the harmony they are showing as a team, the little rascals!

Again, I am not supporting his extension and stated I would prefer he be replaced.....understand?

And I was never comparing Seibold talents to Mary's. Just pointing out the difficulties he is currently facing with a team where several senior players look like they don't want him there. Of course he can turn that around, but he may have to cut the poison head off to do it.

grouch

First Grade
Where have I praised him, you moron? I never once said I support his extension, just that I can see the reasons for it. Go and kick your dog again, mate! Might make you feel happy for a few minutes.
And one of those reasons is a pisspoor strawman comparison to the Broncos?

Not nice to call me a moron btw.. it seems we need McGregor to take all us fans out on the piss to create some fan harmony. Nothing more important than everyone being best friends forever

And one of those reasons is a pisspoor strawman comparison to the Broncos?

Not nice to call me a moron btw.. it seems we need McGregor to take all us fans out on the piss to create some fan harmony. Nothing more important than everyone being best friends forever
So you think the Broncos stutter has nothing to do with the change of coach, fair enough, but I disagree.

And here is a tip for you sunshine, if you don't want to be called a moron, stop acting like one.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ok Dennis, you are right. You are better placed to form an opinion on Mary's capabilities than his players. They must be feigning the harmony they are showing as a team, the little rascals!

Again, I am not supporting his extension and stated I would prefer he be replaced.....understand?

And I was never comparing Seibold talents to Mary's. Just pointing out the difficulties he is currently facing with a team where several senior players look like they don't want him there. Of course he can turn that around, but he may have to cut the poison head off to do it.

With respect Dorothy , Mary is the head that needs to be cut - off , along with the Medusa that is known as the board .

BennyV

Referee
The reason you continue to be ridiculed for your ridiculous non-argument is that player harmony means absolutely nothing when it comes to Mary’s coaching ability. What matters are results - of in Mary’s case, lack thereof. When considering a re-signing, that’s all that matters. Mary doesn’t have them. Was extended anyway. Ridiculous decision, regardless of how happy the players are (and even more regardless of anything to do with the Broncos).

possm

Coach
Lets just hope ( !!! ) there is a performance clause in this contract that lets us flick him on bad performances.Doubt it !

Still can't help thinking that our efforts in the semis have come back to bite us on the arse , as he would have been gone by now if we went out in straight sets.
Deals have been done, there is no accountability and so nothing under our current system can be done about these decisions.

utility dragon

Juniors
I’ve only just heard. I am sick of our stupid board. So he has been resigned for almost looking good for a while but then not doing anything. For leaving half his bench on the sideline while our 15 play the other sides 17. For negligence leaving a player with a broken arm on the field for 20 mins with fresh bench players available.for burning out late in seasons, or is it because of the way in which he brings on young talent? As with many of you, I have nothing against him and loved him as a player but he is not a top line coach. The board is a joke! I don’t wish Mary ill but I was really looking forward to seeing what our team could do with a new coach soon. Mary was given more than enough rope. I can’t believe it!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The reason you continue to be ridiculed for your ridiculous non-argument is that player harmony means absolutely nothing when it comes to Mary’s coaching ability. What matters are results - of in Mary’s case, lack thereof. When considering a re-signing, that’s all that matters. Mary doesn’t have them. Was extended anyway. Ridiculous decision, regardless of how happy the players are (and even more regardless of anything to do with the Broncos).

Yes- the Dragons board needs urgent treatment for premature congratulations

Old Timer

Coach
So you think the Broncos stutter has nothing to do with the change of coach, fair enough, but I disagree.

And here is a tip for you sunshine, if you don't want to be called a moron, stop acting like one.
IMO the decline at the Broncos has nothing to do with the new coach.
The stutter in the semis last year was with their most decorated coach!
The Broncos have been slipping for years and the nepotism at their club is starting to drag their club down just like ours.

Latest posts