What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Extension

giboz71

First Grade
IMO the decline at the Broncos has nothing to do with the new coach.
The stutter in the semis last year was with their most decorated coach!
The Broncos have been slipping for years and the nepotism at their club is starting to drag their club down just like ours.

Isn't Siebold an outsider?

If they really wanted to appoint one of their mates surely Kevvie would have got the job?

71saintsimon

Juniors
On what basis are they giving this turd a extension? It’s absolutely mind baffling his a terrible terrible investment we wil never see the best of certain individuals due to this imposter at the helm, the idiots behind resigning him wil end up having to sack him and pay him out he won’t see out the new deal if they signed him based on the last three weeks there bigger fools then I first thought hardly inspiring wins over Brisbane and Newcastle and let’s just say beating a rabble bulldogs team isn’t anything to get excited about

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
IMO the decline at the Broncos has nothing to do with the new coach.
The stutter in the semis last year was with their most decorated coach!
The Broncos have been slipping for years and the nepotism at their club is starting to drag their club down just like ours.

OT, their only premierships have come under Bennett.

Henjak / Griffin ... zip

Seibold has a job on his hands mate.

I agree Mary is not the man for our Club, but the Broncos success in titles all revolved around Bennett. They are now 1 from 5.

Lets see if Seibold has what it takes, as he is already cracking under the pressure from previous Brisbane legends critique.

Old Timer

Coach
Isn't Siebold an outsider?

If they really wanted to appoint one of their mates surely Kevvie would have got the job?
Yes Siebold is an outsider and it is far easier for Lockyer & Co to get firmly established with him at the club rather than Bennett or Walters being in the coaching role.
No doubt in a short period of time they will knife Siebold and install one of their own and then run the place just like ours.

Old Timer

Coach

Henjak / Griffin ... zip

I agree Mary is not the man for our Club, but the Broncos success in titles all revolved around Bennett. They are now 1 from 5.

Lets see if Seibold has what it takes, as he is already cracking under the pressure from previous Brisbane legends critique.
I agree and while ever Bennett remained at the club it was extremely hard for the ex players like Lockyer to get the reins of the club and exercise their will like our old boys do.
So do in Bennett, install Seibold as the sacrificial lamb and then start finding spots for all their buddies and no doubt in my mind within 3 years a fairly recent ex player will be installed as coach with a heap of cronies around him
Seibold was always on a hiding to nothing and Lockyer, Hodges & Parker will make sure that nothing is easy for him.

TruSaint

Referee
I agree and while ever Bennett remained at the club it was extremely hard for the ex players like Lockyer to get the reins of the club and exercise their will like our old boys do.
So do in Bennett, install Seibold as the sacrificial lamb and then start finding spots for all their buddies and no doubt in my mind within 3 years a fairly recent ex player will be installed as coach with a heap of cronies around him
Seibold was always on a hiding to nothing and Lockyer, Hodges & Parker will make sure that nothing is easy for him.

Just on your last sentence, I agree totally.

Seibold not only has to somehow overcome a poor start, but will always have a target on his back, and the old boy's will not go away. In some way its karma, as reading the lengthy article on nrl.com some weeks ago, suggested that Seibold wasn't exactly Mr nice guy or transparent in his discussions with Souths.

He may turn it around, he may not. The consequences of the latter may see him gone, as BNE have the funds and might to do so.

Old Timer

Coach
If Brisbane don't finish top 6 I will eat my shoe.
I think they will struggle for top 8 let alone 6 and I actually think they are top 4 quality so I hope you have 1 very small foot and the other is a wooden peg leg.
I really think the Broncos as a club are having issues and with such a young roster they will have trouble getting them to keep focused.

rednwhites

Juniors
I think they will struggle for top 8 let alone 6 and I actually think they are top 4 quality so I hope you have 1 very small foot and the other is a wooden peg leg.
I really think the Broncos as a club are having issues and with such a young roster they will have trouble getting them to keep focused.

You know what they say about small feet. ;)

Crush

Coach
you know that you're the worst coach in the NRL when your own fans make a thread about how bad your resigning is that has 9 pages in 24 hours and a thread about sacking you that's over 400 pages...
Only on this forum though.
Just saw a Facebook forum page where they ask members to vote who is the best man for the job.
McGregor wins hands down. Nobody comes near him.
Facebook fan pages are funny.

Gareth67

First Grade
you know that you're the worst coach in the NRL when your own fans make a thread about how bad your resigning is that has 9 pages in 24 hours and a thread about sacking you that's over 400 pages...

I believe that our Mary looks upon the forum posts ( assuming that he does ? ) in a very similar vain as the great Donald Trump - ' it's all fake , won't was my time reading it ' .

What would we true red and white blooded fans know about the game anyhow ?

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
How can you compare Mary and Seibold who is 5 games into his tenure at the Broncos?
You miss the whole point about McGregor.
It's too late to go through a "get to know McGregor, the Player's coach" media exercise with him.
We know his capabilities...many examples and a very modest win/loss ratio.
it's already been more than 5 years + another 2 coming up.
The real issue is his appointment in the first place - all arguments about McGregor's coaching start and finish right there.
This business about harmony in the squad is nonsense.
Does it mean that another half a dozen coaches would not have fostered the same type of harmony in our squad?
Bennett has been doing it for years but you don't see him using palsy nick names in the media conferences.
It's not a Mary exclusive is all I am saying - if it is even true.
No player is going to come out publicly and rubbish their coach no matter how bad he is.
Ultimately, what is missing is accountability and real results.
Fans and sponsors want to see St. George playing finals footy and challenging for the title.
That has never happened under McGregor and he has never been held accountable.
Good post, Dennis!

My own feeling was that it was ok to give Mary a go in 2014 but after that shocking 2016 season following the promise of 2015 he should certainly have been sacked.

Now I do not feel as angry as I did when his contract was reconfirmed for 2017. I thought at the time his incompetence was clear enough even for blind Freddie to see. Having failed to sack him then it is no surprise that he is again being extended. But why the decision is made so early in the season remains a paricular mystery to me.

At the beginning of 2017 I made the decision to continue my lifelong support of the Dragons despite Mary. That decision has been rewarded with some wonderful highs- Panthers, Game 1 2017, Broncos, Game 1 and Elimination Final, 2018 - and some terrible lows - Eels and Bulldogs 2018. Mary deserves credit for the long succession of victories in both seasons and deserves criticism for his inability to arrest the decline in each season.

I hope over the rest of this season and the next two we get more highs than lows. I do believe Mary has shown improvement as a coach yet I doubt that any other club would accept the slow rate at which he learns his lessons. It is just disappointing that he could so easily improve the team's performance by simple changes like using the bench more fully with the application of a little common sense and being prepared to give talented youngsters more than 5-10 minute cameos in the NRL.

But the deed is done! Like so many supporters despite this disappointment I will continue to support the Dragons - they always have been and always will be my team. The consolation will be the laughs I will continue to get from Mary's Press Conferences. Win or lose he can't help but draw attention to his own shortcomings.

Henjak / Griffin ... zip

It's strange that the only time we even looked like winning a comp in the last 30 odd years was when Bennett was in charge.
3 years of amazing professionalism, man management and inspiration.
Absolute brain surgeon in the coach's box too.
I find it sad when some folks deride and disrespect Bennett.
What he did for the Broncs and especially what he did for us, can never be denied or diluted.

Last edited: