What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul McGregor Extension

hazzbeen

Bench
Well now it's official. Done & dusted so brace for the slide after we peaked in Round 5. At least with Australian politics you get a choice between 2 dud leaders! Dragon world you are told 1 DUD is the best option. FMD!
Ok its done and dusted, what would happen if they just stuggle to make the 8 , or even miss the 8 ? Will they continue with our coach or will they punt him ? We all know the answer to that . So the board management are confident that Mary will win us a premiership within the next 2 years , boy this bloke has had more chances than most . I cant see it happening ( premiership ) ....

Life's Good

Coach
Interestingly enough, he is now the second longest continuously employed coach that has not achieved a premiership at his current club, with the longest being Brad Arthur.

There isnt anything interesting about that.

Last edited:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Ok its done and dusted, what would happen if they just stuggle to make the 8 , or even miss the 8 ? Will they continue with our coach or will they punt him ? We all know the answer to that . So the board management are confident that Mary will win us a premiership within the next 2 years , boy this bloke has had more chances than most . I cant see it happening ( premiership ) ....
Hazz he's in The Circle Of Trust! Able to cover any cracks & imperfections with his painting skills and Deflector BS plus he's cheap. (Meets all the stringent criteria)

BLM01

First Grade
Nice soft interview announcements. That the Dragons media! Gordon's Churchillian political talk. "He has shown the ability to get us to the finals" "Mary has really impressed over this time? "He holds the same values as we do for the club"...
What about overall results?
They keep saying how much of a challenge the first 5 weeks have been for Mary and all the travel / 5 day turnaround. Really..Cowboys / Warriors fly just about every fortnight!.
My Lord!..Mary knows the right things to say to appease a board who obviously dont watch or critique.

We are led to believe that we are the first side in history to put up with 1 player with an off field drama, injuries to senior personnel and a so called taxing football schedule in the 1st 3 weeks with 1 x 5 day tunaround and 2 flights.

One thing we played hard ball. Mary wanted 3 years. The Board stood firm. YAY!

Gareth67

First Grade
Well that's the hardest part of the work over and done now as far as the board is concerned . They can all sit back now and enjoy their Yum Chum spring rolls ( with cherry sauce ) and drink whatever is left of Douse hidden supply of Crown Lager .

Cheers boys from every true blooded Dragon fan , you have yet again displayed your absolute ignorance of what is required to get the joint venture another premiership . Disgracefull !

hazzbeen

Bench
Well that's the hardest part of the work over and done now as far as the board is concerned . They can all sit back now and enjoy their Yum Chum spring rolls ( with cherry sauce ) and drink whatever is left of Douse hidden supply of Crown Lager .

Cheers boys from every true blooded Dragon fan , you have yet again displayed your absolute ignorance of what is required to get the joint venture another premiership . Disgracefull !
Well said ......

OzDragon

Coach
giphy.gif

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor coaching contract extended
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 18 Apr 2019, 07:39 AM

St George Illawarra have officially announced that Paul McGregor will remain coach of the Dragons for a further two seasons following the completion of all necessary documentation.

McGregor's new contract will see him remain at the Dragons at least until the end of the 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

The 51-year-old's new contract will see him become St George Illawarra's longest-serving coach in the joint venture's history.

"To have a good focus and purpose for the next two seasons is really comforting. To my extended family, in the players and staff, I feel very fortunate to be able to continue working with such quality people," McGregor said.

"The enjoyment I get out of coaching this proud club is something I look forward to every day.

"There is still a real appreciation of what 2019 is to bring too. My players are always my first priority and their needs come before anything else.

"There have been positive signs already. Team cohesion is strong and performance is spirited. We've had our challenges with the draw's scheduling but our game is growing and we keep improving which is the important part."

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston said the decision to re-sign McGregor was one made on the basis of several factors.

"Paul's retention has come down to more than just the football played on the field," Johnston said. "Paul is a values-driven, team-first individual who is at the forefront of personal development for both he and his players.

"A testament of this is the number of Dragons who have achieved higher representative honours and those to have successfully debuted under Paul's tutelage, as well as the club's improved results in recent seasons.

"Paul's emotional intelligence and man management attributes are key to him being well-respected throughout the playing group and the club's staff in its entirety, which is another crucial reason for his extension."

Dragons chairman Andrew Gordon said the board were pleased to see McGregor recommit to the Red V.

"Paul's history to date has shown he is capable of taking the Dragons to the finals and we're very happy with the way he's kicked off our season so far; we look forward to the remainder of the year now that his position has been locked in," Gordon said.

"Paul has indeed had a long history with the club as both a player and now as coach. His values positively represent ours as a club. The board and I are very proud to have him continue as Dragons coach."

The former Country Origin, New South Wales Origin and Kangaroos player began his coaching career in the Illawarra and progressed through the Canterbury Cup NSW to the NRL.

McGregor has coached 118 NRL games to date after first taking on the head coach role midway through the 2014 season.

McGregor has also previously been on the staff of the Country Origin (2009-2012) and New South Wales Origin team (2006-13) teams as well as the inaugural co-captain of St George Illawarra in 1999.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/18/mcgregor-coaching-contract-extended/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons confirm McGregor contract extension
Dragons Den
r0_0_4435_2957_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

STAYING PUT: Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been re-signed for two more seasons. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor is on track to become the joint-venture's longest serving coach, with the club confirming a contract extension for the next two years.

The 51-year-old club great has penned a deal that will extend his tenure to seven seasons at the helm, taking the club to the finals two of four campaigns.

The new deal will also end what would have been prolonged speculation around McGregor's future throughout the 2019 campaign and allow him to focus on the campaign at hand that currently sits at 3-2 after five rounds.

"To have a good focus and purpose for the next two seasons is really comforting," McGregor said.

"To my extended family, in the players and staff, I feel very fortunate to be able to continue working with such quality people," McGregor said.

"The enjoyment I get out of coaching this proud club is something I look forward to every day.

"There is still a real appreciation of what 2019 is to bring too. My players are always my first priority and their needs come before anything else.

"There have been positive signs already. Team cohesion is strong and performance is spirited. We've had our challenges with the draw's scheduling but our game is growing and we keep improving which is the important part."

Dragons chief executive Brian Johnston said the decision to re-sign McGregor was one made on the basis of several factors.

"Paul's retention has come down to more than just the football played on the field," Johnston said.

"Paul is a values-driven, team-first individual who is at the forefront of personal development for both he and his players.

"A testament of this is the number of Dragons who have achieved higher representative honours and those to have successfully debuted under Paul's tutelage, as well as the club's improved results in recent seasons.

"Paul's emotional intelligence and man management attributes are key to him being well-respected throughout the playing group and the club's staff in its entirety, which is another crucial reason for his extension."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-confirm-mcgregor-contract-extension/?cs=3713