What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
NRL ON NINE – ROUND 7

(Includes ANZAC Day Footy, Macca’s Thursday Night Footy, VB Friday Night Footy and Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy)

• 3.494 million people tuned into NRL on Nine’s match coverage for Round 7, LIVE on Nine and 9Gem across the nation. (National cume reach – includes pre & post-match content)

9Now Total Round 7 Minutes (matches only) streamed Live: 2.2 million
  • 9Now Live average VPM up 128% from Round 7 2018
  • 9Now Live VPM streams up 113% from Round 7 2018
  • 9Now Live VPM minutes up 142% from Round 7 2018
CHEMIST WAREHOUSE SUNDAY FOOTY

ROUND 7 - KNIGHTS vs EELS

1.332 million people
tuned into Nine’s Round 7 Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy coverage, LIVE on Nine and 9Gem. (National cume reach)

National peak audience: 1.088 million

• Nine National peak audience: 747,000 (5 City: 437,000 / Regional: 310,000)
  • Fox League national peak audience: 341,000
National average audience: 776,000
  • Nine National average audience: 505,000 (5 City: 296,000 / Regional: 209,000)
  • Fox League national average audience: 271,000

Source: Oz TAM + Reg Tam. Overnight Data, 1 min cume reach, ANZAC Day Footy, Macca’s Thursday Night Footy, VB Friday Night Footy, Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy, includes pre/post coverage, Total People, 5 City Metro + Combined Agg Markets, Nine + Nine Content Affiliates

Source: OzTAM LIVE VPM; Metric: Minutes; 25th April – 29th April 2019. Including Match, pre and post coverage. Excluding Macca’s Golden Point, Friday Night Knock Off, Sunday Kick Off and Sunday Footy Show.

Source: Oz Tam+ Reg Tam, Overnight Data, 29/4/2019, Sunday Football, excludes pre- match coverage, Average + Peak Audience, 5 City Metro + Combined Agg. Markets, Nine Network + Nine Network Content Affiliates + Fox League National STV Database, Total People.

The_Wookie

Bench

Edit: I note the SMH has different percentages here.

The average audience per match on Nine's platforms has increased 3 per cent year-on-year for the five capital cities, part of an overall 4 per cent spike in free-to-air viewership.

The figures have also been reflected across Fox League, which has swelled its national viewership by 3 per cent year-on-year.

Last edited:

Starkers

Bench
that @footyindustryAU guy does a great job ... below is the NRL/AFL comparison table after 7 NRL rounds and 6 AFL rounds, which I think is a fair sample now.

obviously the AFL is having a decent bump this season (18.62%), i am not sure what they have done to correct this over the off-season but given Super15 is also up in the order of 10% you can perhaps extrapolate the NRL's off season has cost it higher ratings? NRL is +1.3% so far.

i think he has made a few mistakes here also. there is 9 games every week in the AFL and 8 in the NRL, so under the FTA audience I am not sure the averages are correct. Also, only 3 games were broadcast in round 6 on FTA in NRL, not 4.

overall though, it paints a picture of the NRL holding ground and the AFL edging ahead on total numbers, compared with last year. however, when looking at average viewer numbers the NRL destroys the AFL.

i guess you can make an argument that an additional FTA on a saturday night for NRL would help. it could possibly add an additional 500k viewers a week to FTA, but perhaps that drags down the fox number? who knows, but if i was Ch9 i wouldn't die wondering either.

given the blanket coverage of AFL we are now seeing across all FTA it surprises me that the AFL is not dominating more. every story is a plug for them. every channel has a positive spin. every paper is a nice yarn. every f**ken ad has a sherrin in the background somewhere. perhaps this has been the push to correct over the offseason?

and the reverse for the NRL. every channel is smashing it, even ch9. especially ch9! but yet it is holding in. given 16 NRL clubs v 18 AFL, and really only 15 in australia all located in the eastern seaboard and mostly Sydney and SE Qld it is shocking that the AFL isn't penetrating more than it is especially in sydney.

upload_2019-4-30_8-31-54.png

DC_fan

Coach
that @footyindustryAU guy does a great job ... below is the NRL/AFL comparison table after 7 NRL rounds and 6 AFL rounds, which I think is a fair sample now.

obviously the AFL is having a decent bump this season (18.62%), i am not sure what they have done to correct this over the off-season but given Super15 is also up in the order of 10% you can perhaps extrapolate the NRL's off season has cost it higher ratings? NRL is +1.3% so far.

i think he has made a few mistakes here also. there is 9 games every week in the AFL and 8 in the NRL, so under the FTA audience I am not sure the averages are correct. Also, only 3 games were broadcast in round 6 on FTA in NRL, not 4.

overall though, it paints a picture of the NRL holding ground and the AFL edging ahead on total numbers, compared with last year. however, when looking at average viewer numbers the NRL destroys the AFL.

i guess you can make an argument that an additional FTA on a saturday night for NRL would help. it could possibly add an additional 500k viewers a week to FTA, but perhaps that drags down the fox number? who knows, but if i was Ch9 i wouldn't die wondering either.

given the blanket coverage of AFL we are now seeing across all FTA it surprises me that the AFL is not dominating more. every story is a plug for them. every channel has a positive spin. every paper is a nice yarn. every f**ken ad has a sherrin in the background somewhere. perhaps this has been the push to correct over the offseason?

and the reverse for the NRL. every channel is smashing it, even ch9. especially ch9! but yet it is holding in. given 16 NRL clubs v 18 AFL, and really only 15 in australia all located in the eastern seaboard and mostly Sydney and SE Qld it is shocking that the AFL isn't penetrating more than it is especially in sydney.

View attachment 29395

One thing that intrigues me about ratings numbers is for example if you have 500,000 people watching every game, is it the same 500,000 watching every game? In other words is your viewing base just 500,000.

The following article was published by the Sydney Morning Herald -

NRL basking in TV lift despite torrid summer
By Adam Pengilly

April 29, 2019 — 8.25pm

The NRL has allayed fears its "summer of hell" would have a dire impact on TV viewing numbers, trumpeting strong growth across both free-to-air and pay platforms in the opening seven rounds of the season.

The average audience per match on Nine's platforms has increased 3 per cent year-on-year for the five capital cities, part of an overall 4 per cent spike in free-to-air viewership.

The figures have also been reflected across Fox League, which has swelled its national viewership by 3 per cent year-on-year.

It is a marked turnaround from the forecast negative effects a string of off-field incidents would have on the game prior to a ball being kicked this year, which even prompted NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg to say he feared the game could lose hundreds of millions of dollars in its next broadcast-rights deal.

The NRL has already stood down Dragons forward Jack de Belin, Sea Eagles centre Dylan Walker and Panthers utility Tyrone May under its new no-fault rule after all were charged by police. The governing body is bracing for a looming Federal Court ruling on de Belin's challenge to his standing down.

"There are many factors that influence peoples decisions what they watch and of course we were concerned when there was negative publicity around our sport, but pleasingly our fans have been really engaged with the football this season," NRL chief commercial officer Andrew Abdo said.

"The games have done the talking. That's been a real positive for us.

"It's a testament to both the entertaining games we've had and the job that our broadcast partners have been doing in terms of producing the games. It's obviously critical for us to get off to a strong start for the first six or seven rounds of the year because it sets you up for the rest of the year.

"We've had the Easter and Anzac rounds which are really important for our fans. We expect these strong ratings to hold for the remainder of the season."

While it's far more difficult to accurately measure the numbers tuning into streaming platforms, the NRL hailed the growth in minutes being watched on Nine Now, Kayo Sports and NRL Live Pass.

The NRL is poised to enjoy one of its highest-rating rounds in years with a number of mouth-watering rivalries, highlighted by Wayne Bennett's Rabbitohs and Anthony Seibold's Broncos matching wits on Thursday night.

The 2016 grand finalists Melbourne and Cronulla will face off on Friday night at PointsBet Stadium before Des Hasler takes on the Bulldogs for the first time since his ugly exit from Belmore.

Traditional rivals the Dragons and Eels will cap the weekend in a blockbuster at the new $360 million Bankwest Stadium on Sunday afternoon before the NRL caravan rolls into Brisbane for Magic Round.

All eight matches will be played at Suncorp Stadium across four days, replicating the English Super League concept which has proved a raging success.

"It's new and untested and difficult to pick," Abdo said of predicted TV audiences for Magic Round. "We expect a really strong crowd on Friday and Saturday, but from a TV perspective I'm cautiously optimistic because it's new.

"The match-ups themselves are great and hopefully it can attract some of the more marginal fans watching every team play at Suncorp Stadium."

Starkers

Bench
One thing that intrigues me about ratings numbers is for example if you have 500,000 people watching every game, is it the same 500,000 watching every game? In other words is your viewing base just 500,000.

not necessarily i don't think. there is a core of NRL fans, and this is apparent in every sport, that watch most or all games each week. that proportion varies from sport to sport and in some it is simply impossible to watch all games live e.g NFL or NBA.

then there are fans that simply watch their clubs, and big games. i think if you look at origin numbers 3.5-4m per game and weekly NRL totals they are within yelling distance of each other.

Perth Red

Post Whore
not necessarily i don't think. there is a core of NRL fans, and this is apparent in every sport, that watch most or all games each week. that proportion varies from sport to sport and in some it is simply impossible to watch all games live e.g NFL or NBA.

then there are fans that simply watch their clubs, and big games. i think if you look at origin numbers 3.5-4m per game and weekly NRL totals they are within yelling distance of each other.

Its an interesting question. I suspect there is a significant portion of each audience that are neutrals that watch most games, then the two clubs fan bases that tune in to watch just their clubs. Especially on Fox were people have paid for all games. I base this theory on the closeness of the viewing figures each rd despite different clubs playing in the games. If it was largely club fans making up the audience you would expect much more variation between the popular and not so popular clubs taking part.

Origin I suspect is so high as it is a major sports event, like Wimbledon or the masters or F1 or a GF. It attracts many non or fringe RL fans to view it just because it is so well marketed and hyped as an event.

VictoryFC

Bench

I recall reading many years ago that this was one of the issues with the Big Bash League. They had games on every night, and the ratings were good, but it was largely the same people watching every game, which greatly reduces the value of the BBL as a product. This was when the BBL was just beginning to take off, so I don't know how much has changed.

The broadcasters and leagues have all the data on this. You can get a better feel for how many unique people are watching by looking at the values of the TV/media deals. Going by that, we can be fairly sure that the NRL and auskick have the most unique viewers, which are similar in size to one another.

My estimate based on a few things I've gleaned over the years is that there are roughly 1.5-1.8 million people who watch NRL throughout the year consistently enough, and by that I mean at least 1 game a week on most weekends. That would make them an avid fan in my view. I'd put a similar number to auskick as well.

The_Wookie

Bench
NRL ON NINE – WEEKLY WRAP

ROUND 7
  • NRL on Nine Rounds 1-7 up 5% in the 5 City Metro YOY.
  • NRL on Nine Rounds 1-7 up 9% in Sydney metro YOY.
  • NRL on Nine Rounds 1-7 up 5.5% in Brisbane metro YOY.

3.988 million people(Metro: 2.513m / Regional: 1.475m) tuned into NRL on Nine coverage in Round 7 of the 2019 NRL Season. (National cume reach - week)

NRL ON 9NOW

Round 7 Rugby League programming on 9Now had 4 million LIVE VPM minutes streamed (all figures include last year’s Round 4 Good Friday game for equal comparison)
  • This is up 126% year-on-year compared to Round 7 in 2018
  • Live average VPM up 129% year-on-year compared to Round 7 in 2018

100% FOOTY
  • 100% Footy national peak audience – 271,000 people
  • 100% Footy national average audience – 108,000 people
  • Cumulative reach for 100% Footy content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram over the past seven days: 559,000 people
  • Combined video views across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter over the past seven days: 236,000
  • Total number of WWOS page views for 100% Footy content over the past seven days: 138,000

SOURCE: Oz Tam + Regional Tam, Overnight Data, 1 min cume reach, Nine's NRL Coverage: includes – ANZAC Day Footy, Macca’s Thursday Night Footy, Macca’s Golden Point, Friday Night Footy, Friday Night Knock Off, Chemist Warehouse Sunday Kick Off, Chemist Warehouse Sunday Footy, Intrust Super Cup (QLD), Canterbury Cup (NSW), Sports Sunday, Sunday Footy Show, 100% Footy , Nine Network + Nine Network Content Affiliates, Total People, 5 City Metro + Combined AGG Markets. 25th April – 30th April 2019.