What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
This part of the article tells all. There is no offer from Manly. Other clubs think we have priced him correctly. Ayoub is all bluff.

We should start negotiating with another $650k fullback as a contingency and turn the heat back on him.

That would be ideal but honestly who is there available?

Happy MEel

First Grade
This part of the article tells all. There is no offer from Manly. Other clubs think we have priced him correctly. Ayoub is all bluff.

We should start negotiating with another $650k fullback as a contingency and turn the heat back on him.
Serious question, which fullback on the open market is worth $650k?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
French fullback / Jess Ramien centre (only going on rumours he wants out), that in my opinion is a good option if gutho doesn’t stay and how we can strengthen one position to cover the loss of gutho.

And probably would only cost a similar about to what gutho wants.

Noise

Coach
French fullback / Jess Ramien centre (only going on rumours he wants out), that in my opinion is a good option if gutho doesn’t stay and how we can strengthen one position to cover the loss of gutho.

And probably would only cost a similar about to what gutho wants.

I like Ramien but then you assume Taka and Jennings are also gone with a Salmon / Ramien centre pairing. I’d prefer to keep Jennings. Salmon could just become our regular 14.

And I hope we have seen the last of French in Eels colours

Gronk

Staff member
I like Ramien but then you assume Taka and Jennings are also gone with a Salmon / Ramien centre pairing. I’d prefer to keep Jennings. Salmon could just become our regular 14
I read somewhere that Penrith were shopping Dylan Edwards around too.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I read somewhere that Penrith were shopping Dylan Edwards around too.
MWZ is a winger and both he and Edwards would be worth nowhere near $650k. There’s a reason for that as well.

Ramien would be a decent pick up but if that’s the way we want to go, I can’t see why we couldn’t afford both him and Gutho.

Delboy

First Grade
Have we seen this negotiation tactic before, and how did that work out for JH?

Gutho needs to take control of he wants to remain at the Eels , his standing with the fans is gradually being eroded from King Gutho to a frustrated who cares status. JH never recovered from leaving Beavis in full control, not sure this isn't happening for Gutho.

Gronk

Staff member
MWZ is a winger and both he and Edwards would be worth nowhere near $650k. There’s a reason for that as well.

Ramien would be a decent pick up but if that’s the way we want to go, I can’t see why we couldn’t afford both him and Gutho.
As Josh said, you just need to pay for what a player is worth. If there is no decent FB on the market, then play French there in 2020 and review this time next year. I don't think we need to panic and pay overs for Gutho, just because he is the last loaf of bread on the shelf.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I like Ramien but then you assume Taka and Jennings are also gone with a Salmon / Ramien centre pairing. I’d prefer to keep Jennings. Salmon could just become our regular 14.

And I hope we have seen the last of French in Eels colours

Yes Keep Jennings on a one year deal, Salmon can play 14 until an injury gives him a starting spot.

Salmon is only 21 next year, so there is no rush for him to get a permanent starting sport. Then in 2021 there is a centre spot for him.

IFR33K

Coach
Haha the general consensus is gutho isn’t worth 750k. What I find amazing is Ayoub is supposedly waiting to see if he gets an origin jersey to command his 750k asking price. He’s seriously playing a game of Russian roulette here, as he’s got 2 mill on the table here.

Suits is right to an extent. Gutho is a stupid kid.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Yes Keep Jennings on a one year deal, Salmon can play 14 until an injury gives him a starting spot.

Salmon is only 21 next year, so there is no rush for him to get a permanent starting sport. Then in 2021 there is a centre spot for him.
Chances are that Dylan Brown will need to be carefully managed as well, ie rested at times for the next 18 months. It seems unlikely that he will just be able to hoe straight in and never have an issue again with an injury like that, at least until his body stops growing.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Haha the general consensus is gutho isn’t worth 750k. What I find amazing is Ayoub is supposedly waiting to see if he gets an origin jersey to command his 750k asking price. He’s seriously playing a game of Russian roulette here, as he’s got 2 mill on the table here.

Suits is right to an extent. Gutho is a stupid kid.

Just ask Blake Austin how it feels to hold out for a bit more ...

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
On French, I get he has his issues especially with rucking it out and Gutho is obviously the better player.

However with French he hasn’t really had a good run with injures, in 2017 and 2018 he has had his far share of injuries.

Additionally with his frame, he was always going to need a few years to get it up physically for regular NRL.

It’s quite possible with a good run without injuries he could improve a fair bit. He definitely has some potential. He was pretty good in 2017 when playing fullback - still recall the games against dragons/broncos.

Anyhow let’s hope Gutho comes to his senses and accepts our reasonable offer.

Johnny88

Juniors
What I find amazing is Ayoub is supposedly waiting to see if he gets an origin jersey to command his 750k asking price.

Also Fittler wont pick any player who has not sorted out his contract. This is something Fittler was big on last year no distractions.

chiefy1

Juniors
Great advertisement for future generation eels from a captain on how to gain advantage through the media and bump up your worth.

Gutherson isn't a captain's arseehole. The sooner he's out the better.
I have total support for the club on taking this stance.

Guth could have easily come out and rubbished the reported figures early on in defense of the club. He did nothing

Latest posts