What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we feel about Robbie Farah returning?

Tiger05

First Grade
Bullshit. I acknowledge Farah has been a great servant to the club and was a bright light in the shithouse years post GF. He will go down as one of our greatest on the field and rightfully so.

I personally didn't want him coming back as I felt it didn't allow us to move on, but when it was confirmed I supported the club in the decision because I always support the club first even if I don't like it. The club always comes first.

I for one can not wait until the last vestiges of 2005 are gone and this club and the fanbase can stop looking at the past and look to the future for once. Stop pining for the ageing champions of the past to deliver a fairytale again.

I have no idea what the Bullshit is about because you appear to be in total agreement with me. So okay dude.

I'll always remember 2005 as a great moment. I also understand that it is 2019 and I want to see another title. Nostalgia about 2005 has nothing at all to do with my opinion on how Robbie is playing today. I hope this is his last season. He is not playing well right now.

I have no idea what the Bullshit is about because you appear to be in total agreement with me. So okay dude.

I'll always remember 2005 as a great moment. I also understand that it is 2019 and I want to see another title. Nostalgia about 2005 has nothing at all to do with my opinion on how Robbie is playing today. I hope this is his last season. He is not playing well right now.

I called bullshit because while I'm not a great fan of Farah off field, I acknowledge what he has done for the club on field and that never gets in the way of me supporting the club. I'm rebuffing the insinuation that people would rather see the club fail to spite Farah.

We could sign Stalin and Hitler to play in the halves tomorrow and I will still back the club no matter how much I hate the idea.

WA Tiger

Bench
I feel bringing up the past and having a pot shot at a dickhead coach is unclassy and childish. Look at how Benji handled his 300th when asked about his exit. They couldn’t be more different. it.
. Benjis and Robbies cases were pretty different .. . ...Benji was able to disappear off to Auckland at the end of his last year ..Benji admitted his fitness etc had dropped dramatically prior to his axing and he had no one that could tell him what he needed to hear.....but Robbie had to hang around and be humiliated in front of his family friends and the rugby league public over a fair amount of time...all because a couple of precious players couldn’t handle what all great teams have - natural leaders that may not be the captain like Maloney etc who calls a spade a spade...and who knows what methods Taylor used to encourage Farrah to move on ...I’m sure none of them were pleasant...And ofcourse Robbie had to bite his tounge through all that because as he said “I know they would like me to react” because then the conditions of his contract would be broken.. but he didn’t ...So for him to come out with a line that doesn’t include any swearing he doesn’t ramble on or get emotional it’s just a one or two sentence controlled statement that nails it ..then I’m impressed. I’m sure if we ALL could use one line like that to put a lot of pain and humiliation to bed without embarrassing anyone that didn’t deserve it we would..and have no reason to be ashamed....Robbie is the Tigers Taylor never was so imo yes you do have to support Robbie on this one. It shows me what a winner he is and why he’s been so successful and why he hasn’t folded during the tough times including horrendous family circumstances that would have knocked anyone else flat. Instead he went back to Origin and killed it...You have to have walked in his Moccasons during those hard times to know what he should or shouldn’t say now ..Bravo Robbie!!

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
It still irkes me how he phoned in the 2006 season after signing with the Titans in the pre season. However yes his 2005 (and even 2004) was immense. Sometimes when I’m a depressed Tigers fan I throw on a 2005 Semi. You forget how good his kicking and organizing were. He had the ball on a string in late 05, every kick was inch perfect
As a "depressed tiger fan" your DVD must be worn out by now:)
. Benjis and Robbies cases were pretty different .. . ...Benji was able to disappear off to Auckland at the end of his last year ..Benji admitted his fitness etc had dropped dramatically prior to his axing and he had no one that could tell him what he needed to hear.....but Robbie had to hang around and be humiliated in front of his family friends and the rugby league public over a fair amount of time...all because a couple of precious players couldn’t handle what all great teams have - natural leaders that may not be the captain like Maloney etc who calls a spade a spade...and who knows what methods Taylor used to encourage Farrah to move on ...I’m sure none of them were pleasant...And ofcourse Robbie had to bite his tounge through all that because as he said “I know they would like me to react” because then the conditions of his contract would be broken but he didn’t ...So for him to come out with a line that doesn’t include any swearing he doesn’t ramble on or get emotional it’s just a one or two sentence controlled statement that nails it ..then I’m impressed. I’m sure if we ALL could use one line like that to put a lot of pain and humiliation to bed without embarrassing anyone that didn’t deserve it we would..and have no reason to be ashamed....Robbie is the Tigers Taylor never was so imo yes you do have to support Robbie on this one. It shows me what a winner he is and why he’s been so successful and why he hasn’t folded during the tough times including horrendous family circumstances that would have knocked anyone else flat. He went back to Origin and killed it...You have to have walked in his Moccasons during those hard times to know what he should or shouldn’t say now ..Bravo Robbie!!
Well put, he's not the player he was, but who is (except C. Smith), I know he gives his all every time he gets on the field, I just hope he gets to leave with the dignity he deserves. At the end of the day, it's only a game.

. Benjis and Robbies cases were pretty different .. . ...Benji was able to disappear off to Auckland at the end of his last year ..Benji admitted his fitness etc had dropped dramatically prior to his axing and he had no one that could tell him what he needed to hear.....but Robbie had to hang around and be humiliated in front of his family friends and the rugby league public over a fair amount of time...all because a couple of precious players couldn’t handle what all great teams have - natural leaders that may not be the captain like Maloney etc who calls a spade a spade...and who knows what methods Taylor used to encourage Farrah to move on ...I’m sure none of them were pleasant...And ofcourse Robbie had to bite his tounge through all that because as he said “I know they would like me to react” because then the conditions of his contract would be broken.. but he didn’t ...So for him to come out with a line that doesn’t include any swearing he doesn’t ramble on or get emotional it’s just a one or two sentence controlled statement that nails it ..then I’m impressed. I’m sure if we ALL could use one line like that to put a lot of pain and humiliation to bed without embarrassing anyone that didn’t deserve it we would..and have no reason to be ashamed....Robbie is the Tigers Taylor never was so imo yes you do have to support Robbie on this one. It shows me what a winner he is and why he’s been so successful and why he hasn’t folded during the tough times including horrendous family circumstances that would have knocked anyone else flat. Instead he went back to Origin and killed it...You have to have walked in his Moccasons during those hard times to know what he should or shouldn’t say now ..Bravo Robbie!!
Typically I think the majority of footballers should just zip it but reading what you wrote, well, well said.

The Charlatan said:
I called bullshit because while I'm not a great fan of Farah off field,
What has he done off field? I don't recall that he has had his name in print like many, Lodge, Norman, Barba, Hayne, Pearce, Walker, de Belin, Simona and the list goes on.

He spoke (supposedly) to a former player who thought it was his right to repeat what was said on MMM radio about his (Farah) opinion of coach Potter, other than that, what is there?

I have been told that he does some great things away from football.
https://www.matesonamission.com.au/founders

Tiger05

First Grade
What has he done off field? I don't recall that he has had his name in print like many, Lodge, Norman, Barba, Hayne, Pearce, Walker, de Belin, Simona and the list goes on.

Yep. He gets demonized for stuff that comes across as unsubstantiated smear campaigns. He hasn't done anything at all like the guys you mention above.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
On the one hand a lot of fans complain about how league players only say safe, boring cliches in the media - "Credit to the boys" etc. They want a return to the old days when players would speak their minds & say controversial things. Now they all sound like politicians. But when a player does come out & say something outrageous like Robbie did, some fans will say they should zip it & just spout some platitude. And that is why we end up with most league interviews being so dull and we never know what the players really think. That's why I'm quite happy for him to take a dump on JT, it made the interview a more interesting read & the merkin deserved the spray.

I'm not talking about what he gets up to on the weekends with his mates. I'm sure as a mate he's a top bloke. He's never been in the media for anything terrible away from the game. Cleanskin in fact.

He hasn't been a great advertisement for the club though. He undermined a coach to a media personality. Whether you think Tallis should or shouldn't have repeated it, it was irrelevant and a misjudgement on Farah's part and totally f**ked our season. His part in the JT saga and the way him and his manager threatened to tear the club down on the way out was extremely poor as well. JT handled it f**king woefully too don't get me wrong, but because I support the club first I didn't take kindly to Ayoub parroting in the media that he had a dossier that would ruin the club.

I see all of this as an affront to the club. Club comes first above everything and everyone else.

I don't "hate" Farah at all, I think he's been a wonderful servant to the club on the field. I certainly think a time came where he should have learned his place at the club and accepted it. It's not a simple opinion on whether you like him or hate him. I like plenty of players who have played for our club but still advocated for them to be moved on. I also believe he'll go down as one of our top 3 greatest, and will be among them for a very long while.

If you think Farah should(n't) be here simply because you (don't) like him, that's a pathetic reasoning.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Try telling the ‘89 tigers players that.
Did you read this? Just come on line.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/f76abec742126e82d2bd88873e4760f7

Revealed: The illegal cross bar which robbed Balmain’s Benny Elias of 1989 glory

Thirty years on and the 1989 grand final must still hurt for Benny Elias.
It must hurt even more then, given that when he went for a field goal he was denied by a crossbar which failed to comply with the laws of the game.

Balmain were 14-8 up against Canberra when the hooker unleashed his attempt, it rattled against the woodwork and back into play.
Canberra went up the other end and forced the game into extra time before clinching victory.

But speaking on the Matty Johns Podcast, Daily Telegraph journalist Paul Kent detailed a conversation with former Canberra chairman John McIntyre some years ago.

McIntyre explained that when the Raiders had been setting up their training centre, the ground staff had a problem.

They didn’t know the right dimensions for a set of posts.

“He’s figuring out how the crossbar goes,” Kent explains. “How high do I make this?

“McIntyre says he has no idea, ring the football stadium and ask them how high their cross bar is and make it that high.

“So that’s what they did, they put it up, it’s this high off you go.

“He said we didn’t realise until two years later we had that cross bar two inches too high.

“He said the one at the stadium was two inches higher than it should have been.

“So if it’s two inches lower, Benny’s ball goes over.

“This is coming from a Canberra guy! I wonder if he’s trying to put a little bit more pain in.”

The unknown

Juniors
So damn disappointing GE didn’t win a premiership with us.2010 was the one that got away.We were so unlucky in that magnificent prelim final v saints.

Thing that hurts the most is we played as good as we could in that PF & still fell short

We would have pissed it in the GF because Roosters were trash in that game

WA Tiger

Bench
On the one hand a lot of fans complain about how league players only say safe, boring cliches in the media - "Credit to the boys" etc. They want a return to the old days when players would speak their minds & say controversial things. Now they all sound like politicians. But when a player does come out & say something outrageous like Robbie did, some fans will say they should zip it & just spout some platitude. And that is why we end up with most league interviews being so dull and we never know what the players really think. That's why I'm quite happy for him to take a dump on JT, it made the interview a more interesting read & the merkin deserved the spray.
“ It was a game of two halves”. “He has a right to his opinion” “that was in the past I feel I’ve moved on from there” Yea right ! But yes All the same ...They might as well not be interviewed ..spot on.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Did you read this? Just come on line.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/f76abec742126e82d2bd88873e4760f7

Revealed: The illegal cross bar which robbed Balmain’s Benny Elias of 1989 glory

Thirty years on and the 1989 grand final must still hurt for Benny Elias.
It must hurt even more then, given that when he went for a field goal he was denied by a crossbar which failed to comply with the laws of the game.

Balmain were 14-8 up against Canberra when the hooker unleashed his attempt, it rattled against the woodwork and back into play.
Canberra went up the other end and forced the game into extra time before clinching victory.

But speaking on the Matty Johns Podcast, Daily Telegraph journalist Paul Kent detailed a conversation with former Canberra chairman John McIntyre some years ago.

McIntyre explained that when the Raiders had been setting up their training centre, the ground staff had a problem.

They didn’t know the right dimensions for a set of posts.

“He’s figuring out how the crossbar goes,” Kent explains. “How high do I make this?

“McIntyre says he has no idea, ring the football stadium and ask them how high their cross bar is and make it that high.

“So that’s what they did, they put it up, it’s this high off you go.

“He said we didn’t realise until two years later we had that cross bar two inches too high.

“He said the one at the stadium was two inches higher than it should have been.

“So if it’s two inches lower, Benny’s ball goes over.

“This is coming from a Canberra guy! I wonder if he’s trying to put a little bit more pain in.”
Your shitting me...I believe it....That was a tragedy they weren’t going to escape from..no matter what...well spotted

I'm not talking about what he gets up to on the weekends with his mates. I'm sure as a mate he's a top bloke. He's never been in the media for anything terrible away from the game. Cleanskin in fact.

He hasn't been a great advertisement for the club though. He undermined a coach to a media personality. Whether you think Tallis should or shouldn't have repeated it, it was irrelevant and a misjudgement on Farah's part and totally f**ked our season. His part in the JT saga and the way him and his manager threatened to tear the club down on the way out was extremely poor as well. JT handled it f**king woefully too don't get me wrong, but because I support the club first I didn't take kindly to Ayoub parroting in the media that he had a dossier that would ruin the club.

I see all of this as an affront to the club. Club comes first above everything and everyone else.

I don't "hate" Farah at all, I think he's been a wonderful servant to the club on the field. I certainly think a time came where he should have learned his place at the club and accepted it. It's not a simple opinion on whether you like him or hate him. I like plenty of players who have played for our club but still advocated for them to be moved on. I also believe he'll go down as one of our top 3 greatest, and will be among them for a very long while.

If you think Farah should(n't) be here simply because you (don't) like him, that's a pathetic reasoning.
OK fair enough but overall, I think there has been 2 off field 'things' that relate to him.
1. speaking to Tallis (a media personality, as you described him) who I think was out of order and perhaps trying to further his media career and
2. The Taylor saga, 2 strong willed guys, one with an agenda rightly or not?

The rest of your response should be directed to another poster, if you look over your initial response, cheers.

Choiboi

Juniors
At least Farah didn't punch Taylor. It wouldn't be the first time if he had! :smile:

What a top bloke Taylor must be