What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halves conundrum on our hands. Whats the contract situation?

Luai had one outstanding game on debut. As did Te Maire Martin before him. Neither of them have done much of note since. Now Burton has played one very good game and he is anointed by some.

Burton probably won't be worth much. Do we just keep both and see who comes out on top? There is Dean Blore in there as well. And with the way things are unfolded we will have to be making a play at a spine player from elsewhere.

Luai had a good game against the Titans a few weeks ago, but he hasn’t had the chances to do much just coming off the bench. 5 try assists in limited game time this year is decent.

Next year will likely be a showdown between the two, unless one of them moves positions I don’t think they’ll both be here in 2021.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Not too fussed on Peachey. I wanted him to stay but I was unimpressed with his reported attitude up there and his constant flip flopping over coming or staying.

I totally agree. We as a club can do without Peach's attitude up on the coast. He was bought for big money. He hasn't returned his investment. Same can be said for Carty.

franklin2323

Immortal
Another player we will be paying out for. How many is that now? At the very least next year we will be paying other clubs somewhere around 700K. In all likelihood this amount or part thereof will continue into 2021 and beyond. That is essentially an Elite player. Which other clubs are THAT stupid?

This is my big problem with Ivan, he just can't seem to turn (sometimes troubled) players around or try and get the best out of them like a Bennett or a Hasler. He just cuts and runs. A big chunk of the fault here though is with Gus and how he butchered our cap position.

Given how many of the starting side was locked into long deals. There were always going to be guys moved on. Sadly with freight paid... It might only be for this year for all we know. If so then I am fine with it

maple_69

Bench
Luai had a good game against the Titans a few weeks ago, but he hasn’t had the chances to do much just coming off the bench. 5 try assists in limited game time this year is decent.

Next year will likely be a showdown between the two, unless one of them moves positions I don’t think they’ll both be here in 2021.

I think a fair bit will have to do with the style we try to play next year. If we had the structures to pull sides apart, Luai would be very valuable, but as it is, he is generally facing well organised defences fresh from chopping down a forward coming back on the inside so he has the same problem Johnson has so often faced. Neither are the players to fundamentally create those holes they just take full toll when presented.

The multitude of options at fullback and half means that the club should be singlemindedly hunting down a quality hooker stat.

One great thing Gus changed was this clubs habit of opening the chequebook to the dregs of the market in November. I really hope we get some decisive moves well before the best cuts are all gone.

Crashtest

Juniors
The multitude of options at fullback and half means that the club should be singlemindedly hunting down a quality hooker stat.

Agree with you there. The trouble is there doesn't look like many quality options available. Foxtel were reporting that there are only two clubs left chasing Koroisau due to him being on $500,000 a season for the next two seasons. And we aren't one them.

Besides crap ones like Levi and Lichaa who are worse than what we have, who else is is available for next season?

Agree with you there. The trouble is there doesn't look like many quality options available. Foxtel were reporting that there are only two clubs left chasing Koroisau due to him being on $500,000 a season for the next two seasons. And we aren't one them.

Besides crap ones like Levi and Lichaa who are worse than what we have, who else is is available for next season?

One thing about the new NRL contract paradigm, a player doesn’t necessarily have to be off contract to get him.

I’d love to see us make a cheeky back door offer to Cameron McInnes.

OldPanther

Coach
One thing about the new NRL contract paradigm, a player doesn’t necessarily have to be off contract to get him.

I’d love to see us make a cheeky back door offer to Cameron McInnes.

Not gonna lie I'd be pretty excited if that happened.

Edit: I hope everyone who gives me grief about Egan screenshots this comment haha.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think the actual quality hooker market is pretty bare. If Cook goes down.. Who is next inline for the Aust team? Add in the age of Cook even and even then you are better off going after the next batch

The Realist

Juniors
One great thing Gus changed was this clubs habit of opening the chequebook to the dregs of the market in November. I really hope we get some decisive moves well before the best cuts are all gone.

Yeah, he just found another way to handicap us, by gambling on signing silly long terms deals on players who are unproven and/or had bad attitudes. We are dead lucky that he was able to offload Cartwright scot free, but in doing so he basically poisoned the well for Brennan.

Again, who are we going to throw money at given we will be paying out 500K to 1 Million to other clubs next year?

Which Elite player wants to come to our club given we chop and change coaches, we are in constant rebuild mode, and our coach is essentially a proven failure who has a habit of being a dick to players who are underperforming rather than motivating them?

The Griffin, Cleary, Gus, O'Neil, Fletcher saga (probably starting with the Moylan exit) as well as the sex tapes have also trashed our brand generally in the NRL. The Panthers were the most liked team for neutrals (non-supporters), the so called most popular 'second team'. I very much doubt that is the case now, we are now either openly despised or at the very least ridiculed.

Any Elite signing we would have to pay overs to lure them, just like we did before Gus. Oh and we no longer have the pulling power in terms of players or sponsors now that he has left.

Other than the Rugby League Academy we are essentially no better of then before we started. Yes, he made moves to 'save the club' (I maintain that somebody else would have also been capable) but our brand is now damaged goods. It will only be repaired with the passing of time, combined with success.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The Realist - if that is the way you feel and see things maybe you should go and support a club that has no problems.
Not that there are any!

I've removed my comments because they were pretty harsh, and I generally don't try to act that way.

Thanks.

Last edited:
McInnes is all heart but I think that’s his best attribute. We need a bit of creativity imo.

There’s slim pickings out there, McInnes has a decent running game, had 9 try assists last year. He’s much better than the two we have now.

I reckon he’d be the 4th or 5th best Hooker in the game.

who’d you suggest?

OldPanther

Coach
The Realist - if that is the way you feel and see things maybe you should go and support a club that has no problems.
Not that there are any!

Thanks for that. My thoughts exactly. Anyone who calls themselves 'The Realist' oft is anything but. I don't think I've seen a positive comment written by this person.

And before anyone goes off that I've played the person, (not the ball). I agree. I've just had some of those woe is comments 'up to Pussys bow'.

The club debuted 3 kids at the weekend. all who look like good prospects. Cleary stood up and showed what he's capable of. The Sharks haven't been beaten by Panthers for a good couple of years. Yet the complaining continues. I know it's only one game. But it's a hell of a lot more than we've had prior to this game.

images (54).jpeg

franklin2323

Immortal
There’s slim pickings out there, McInnes has a decent running game, had 9 try assists last year. He’s much better than the two we have now.

I reckon he’d be the 4th or 5th best Hooker in the game.

who’d you suggest?

I'd hold off atm. Egan has missed plenty of footy this year. Kenny played limited hooker. Got May back. A few young halves could shuffle around.

This time next year we might have a clear 9 here or atleast get more than 3 good hookers across the comp.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah, he just found another way to handicap us, by gambling on signing silly long terms deals on players who are unproven and/or had bad attitudes. We are dead lucky that he was able to offload Cartwright scot free, but in doing so he basically poisoned the well for Brennan.

Again, who are we going to throw money at given we will be paying out 500K to 1 Million to other clubs next year?

Which Elite player wants to come to our club given we chop and change coaches, we are in constant rebuild mode, and our coach is essentially a proven failure who has a habit of being a dick to players who are underperforming rather than motivating them?

The Griffin, Cleary, Gus, O'Neil, Fletcher saga (probably starting with the Moylan exit) as well as the sex tapes have also trashed our brand generally in the NRL. The Panthers were the most liked team for neutrals (non-supporters), the so called most popular 'second team'. I very much doubt that is the case now, we are now either openly despised or at the very least ridiculed.

Any Elite signing we would have to pay overs to lure them, just like we did before Gus. Oh and we no longer have the pulling power in terms of players or sponsors now that he has left.

Other than the Rugby League Academy we are essentially no better of then before we started. Yes, he made moves to 'save the club' (I maintain that somebody else would have also been capable) but our brand is now damaged goods. It will only be repaired with the passing of time, combined with success.

Too early to predict how we will go now but I agree the last 3 years have been poor off the field. While I don't rate Ivan as a coach good that everyone is on the same page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts