What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
My calculations suggest we will have
1.5 mill to blast and about 6 spots to fill. If we spend about 140k on 4 good back up quality players it leaves us with 600k for a good player and 350k for an above average player.

Glenneel

Bench
Well we're not going to have much more quality in our top 17 middle until players like Terepo and Alvaro are out of contract, which won't be next year. We might get another one for 2020 but that still leaves room for someone like Terepo:

Brown
Paulo
New bloke
Evans
Alvaro
Terepo

There isn't much available as far as edge forwards go so re-signing Takairangi could mean we are waiting for 2021 to bring in the big money second rower we want. That means Niukore will be needed on the edges where he started the year.
You forgot to mention Stefano and Kaufusi who you'd think will improve over off-season and become part of our top 17-20. Also hopefully Niukore will develop an offload/pass and he'll become much more effective rather than just be a battering ram.

emjaycee

Coach
You forgot to mention Stefano and Kaufusi who you'd think will improve over off-season and become part of our top 17-20. Also hopefully Niukore will develop an offload/pass and he'll become much more effective rather than just be a battering ram.
I dont see Kaufusi and Stefano becoming regular picks in the top 17 until 2021 to be honest.

Glenneel

Bench
Big match coming up this Thursday against Dogs. Their big forwards absolutely hammered the Souths pack so we'll have to be at the top of our game. I'd like to think that Stefano will make his debut for this game as I've been disappointed with our bench performance so far. We'll need more than what they've provided in the finals if we want to make an impact. Btw wouldn't you'd think one of the bench forwards could go into d/h for the 10 mins or so that Mahoney is off? Gutho there limits our attacking ability imo.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Well we're not going to have much more quality in our top 17 middle until players like Terepo and Alvaro are out of contract, which won't be next year. We might get another one for 2020 but that still leaves room for someone like Terepo:

Brown
Paulo
New bloke
Evans
Alvaro
Terepo

There isn't much available as far as edge forwards go so re-signing Takairangi could mean we are waiting for 2021 to bring in the big money second rower we want. That means Niukore will be needed on the edges where he started the year.
Ive already stated that I prefer Niukore in the middle and I’d have him in there instead of Terepo. That would mean we’d need to find an edge forward on the open market.

Alternatively, I’d be looking to recruit 2 top 17 middles and use Marata on the edge with Taka off the bench.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Taka has been good utility value and happy to see him re-sign.

He went from playing wing to halfback for the last few minutes in our last game but normally a back rower.

Who else in the NRL has ever done that ? He really is a utility player

Noise

Coach

He went from playing wing to halfback for the last few minutes in our last game but normally a back rower.

He’s normally a centre, not a back rower.

Noise

Coach
not so long ago that may have been relevant but there is not really that much difference in today's game

Well there is. A backrower has a much higher work rate in attack and defense. And a centre has more defensive decisions to make as they get isolated a lot more. The backrower defends inside the half , the centre outside the half.

Do you think Jarrod Croker would do well as a back rower? See how badly Coen Hess is being embarrassed trying to defend at centre? It’s laughable.

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Well there is. A backrower has a much higher work rate in attack and defense. And a centre has more decisions to make as they get isolated a lot more. The backrower defends inside the half , the centre outside the half.

Do you think Jarrod Croker would do well as a back rower? See how badly Coen Hess is being embarrassed trying to defend at centre? It’s laughable.

yes I agree there will be exceptions to anything, you also have forwards that can play up the middle as well as on the edge but in general I really dont think there is as much difference as there used to be

Noise

Coach
yes I agree there will be exceptions to anything, you also have forwards that can play up the middle as well as on the edge but in general I really dont think there is as much difference as there used to be

I don’t believe they are exceptions to the rule. I think we are seeing centres becoming less like back rowers again because of the mobility required in defense for the position. Which of the current best centres do you think could play edge forward well? Even Latrell and Leilua would struggle with the work rate involved as well as the lack of space in attack rendering them much less effective. And which of the top backrowers do you think would be effective centres in defense? Mau might be the only one but even he struggles in D at centre.

TheRam

Coach

Luke Lewis. The best all rounder I think that I have ever seen.

hindy111

Post Whore
REally.....here we go again. What proportion of player do you think fail to see out their contract? And of those, how many are initiated by 'new' club going after the player. Contracts absolutely mean something. The fact that clubs and players agree to vary them doesn't change that.

Blake,DWZ,Klemmer, Ramien,J.Roberts
Some of this bigger names to jump ship recently

Latest posts